The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lurker
If you get an Oxbridge degree, what comes after the BA? Is it Oxon for Oxford and Camb for Cambridge? Or is it Oxon for either? Just wondering, because I've only ever seen Oxon, and that seems a bit odd.

ye i was wondering this too...coz ive only ever seen oxon!
Reply 2
Lurker
If you get an Oxbridge degree, what comes after the BA? Is it Oxon for Oxford and Camb for Cambridge? Or is it Oxon for either? Just wondering, because I've only ever seen Oxon, and that seems a bit odd.

Cambridge's degree is BA (Cantab)
Reply 3
yawn1

ah actually that sounds familiar
Reply 4
yawn1

!Really? I have seen that, I just decided it wasn't Cambridge because it didn't sound like it! Lol! Of course, Oxon isn't quite Oxford but it seemed to make a little more sense... Thanks yawn1
Reply 5
Lurker
!Really? I have seen that, I just decided it wasn't Cambridge because it didn't sound like it! Lol! Of course, Oxon isn't quite Oxford but it seemed to make a little more sense... Thanks yawn1

cantab makes me think of canturbury! lol
Reply 6
Tina

Me too :tongue:
Reply 7
Lurker

I think it's from the Latin:smile: So poncey...!
Reply 8
Tina

Me too!

MadNatSci
I think it's from the Latin:smile: So poncey...!

Heh, that is a little poncey - I'd prefer Cam. Lol, never mind, not complaining.
Lurker
Me too!

Heh, that is a little poncey - I'd prefer Cam. Lol, never mind, not complaining.

Isn't Student of Cambridge 'Cantabrian' in latin
J
foolfarian
Isn't Student of Cambridge 'Cantabrian' in latin
J

Yes, aka 'dirty tab' :eek: :biggrin: :wink:

Joke lol :smile:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Yes, aka 'dirty tab' :eek: :biggrin: :wink:

Joke lol :smile:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The thing that amused me when i saw corpus oxford was that it was similar to corpus cambridge, but looked like they had employed some pikeys to do the building work. Special notice was taken that the central court was concreted over.
J
Weli if I'm not mistaken, Cantab. stands for Cantabridgiensis.
As for Oxon., it stands for Oxoniensis.
Both are latin words.
Reply 13
leeshen-han
Weli if I'm not mistaken, Cantab. stands for Cantabridgiensis.
As for Oxon., it stands for Oxoniensis.
Both are latin words.

True, both are latin words. But the name Cambridge comes from the Anglo-Saxon name Grantabrycge, first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles in 875. This is also the first certified use of the word "bridge" in the English language. The Normans called it Grentebrige or Cantabriegge, which evolved into Cambridge. The river Cam is named after the town, not the other way around. The Cam is still called "Granta" between Silver Street Bridge and Grantchester.

Oxford was called Oxnaforda in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles of 912.

Aren't I smart :biggrin: I got this from a book called "Oxford and Cambridge A Cultural History" by Peter Sager, 2003.
B00kwOrm
True, both are latin words. But the name Cambridge comes from the Anglo-Saxon name Grantabrycge, first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles in 875. This is also the first certified use of the word "bridge" in the English language. The Normans called it Grentebrige or Cantabriegge, which evolved into Cambridge. The river Cam is named after the town, not the other way around. The Cam is still called "Granta" between Silver Street Bridge and Grantchester.

Aren't I smart :biggrin: I got this from a book called "Oxford and Cambridge A Cultural History" by Peter Sager, 2003.

that is very good knowledge. so when u go punting granchester direction rather than the backs, you actually on the granta, not the cam?
brill
J
Reply 15
foolfarian
that is very good knowledge. so when u go punting granchester direction rather than the backs, you actually on the granta, not the cam?
brill
J

Apparently so... Now you can impress your friends with some facts they probably didn't know, unless they're studying History or ASNC :biggrin: And get yourself thrown in the river for being a smartass :biggrin: :tongue: I won't go punting there myself, I got rejected :frown: but I'll visit some friends, so maybe on a nice summer day I will have the pleasure of going punting on the Cam and the Granta :wink:
Reply 16
Could someone please remind me about the difference between Cantab MAa and MAs from other unis, and why Cam give u an MA for doing nothing? I know there was a thread on this topic a while back, but I can't find it :frown:
Reply 17
Tina

it's Canterbury by the way, sorry to be pedantic but it's where I'm from :tongue:
...and indeed I thought cantab was canterbury until I was about 10 or 11 too. Despite the fact at that age I knew Oxford was Oxon.

Alaric.
Reply 18
Minta
Could someone please remind me about the difference between Cantab MAa and MAs from other unis, and why Cam give u an MA for doing nothing? I know there was a thread on this topic a while back, but I can't find it :frown:

I started a thread called "MA from Oxbridge" a while ago. Here it is:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=13854

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Reply 19
Alaric
it's Canterbury by the way, sorry to be pedantic but it's where I'm from :tongue:
...and indeed I thought cantab was canterbury until I was about 10 or 11 too. Despite the fact at that age I knew Oxford was Oxon.

Alaric.

im crap at spelling!

Latest

Trending

Trending