This discussion is closed.
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and to everyone on here whos come up with the history of the origin of cantab etc etc ur all smart people unlike me!
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by leeshen-han)
Weli if I'm not mistaken, Cantab. stands for Cantabridgiensis.
As for Oxon., it stands for Oxoniensis.
Both are latin words.
Since we're being pedantic about spelling, it's actually Cantabrigiensis.

Note that both OXONIENSIS and CANTABRIGIENSIS are adjectives (in the nominative case, not genitive, as some assume). The corresponding nouns, i.e., the names of the towns themselves, are OXONIA and CANTABRIGIA. These all originated in Mediaeval Latin, of course, and are unattested in classical sources.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by leeshen-han)
Weli if I'm not mistaken, Cantab. stands for Cantabridgiensis.
As for Oxon., it stands for Oxoniensis.
Both are latin words.
Well, actually - Cantab is a shortening for Cantabrigian.

The only other UK graduates entitled to name the institution after their names are Durham graduates - they can write Dunhelm.

J.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)

The only other UK graduates entitled to name the institution after their names are Durham graduates - they can write Dunhelm.
You are right insofar as Cantab is short for Cantabrigian, which is in any case the English equivalent of Cantabrigiensis, in jocular usage.

However, were talking about Oxon and Cantab in the context of degrees, in which case they are definitely abbreviations of the Latin terms. BA Cantab. = Baccalaureus Artium Cantabrigiensis. The name of the degree is Latin, likewise the name of the institution.

Dunhelm (more usually Dunelm) is short for Dunelmensis, Latin for 'of Durham'.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

J.

If you look at a univ website, almost everybody names their university after the letters, particularly if they're proud of it!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
BA Cantab. = Baccalaureus Artium Cantabrigiensis. The name of the degree is Latin, likewise the name of the institution..
Isn't it artibus, not artium?

J.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
If you look at a univ website, almost everybody names their university after the letters, particularly if they're proud of it!
That may be so, but they are not legally entitled to do this.

Only Oxford, Cambridge and Durham alumni are allowed to name the institution.

J.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Isn't it artibus, not artium?

J.
What's the genitive plural of ars? I can't remember.
~U~Teedy~U~
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That may be so, but they are not legally entitled to do this.

Only Oxford, Cambridge and Durham alumni are allowed to name the institution.

J.

Hmmm I thought you could also get BA (Open)?
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
What's the genitive plural of ars? I can't remember.
The genitive plural is ARTIUM... ARS, -TIS is a third declension noun with a stem in -I, like MONS, -TIS and URBS, -IS.

Are you a classicist, Helenia?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
The genitive plural is ARTIUM... ARS, -TIS is a third declension noun with a stem in -I, like MONS, -TIS and URBS, -IS.

Are you a classicist, Helenia?
Hell no! I'm a medic. I did Latin GCSE a long time ago, that's all. The grammar of it is kind of useful in anatomy (e.g. knowing why one muscle is flexor digitorum and another one is flexor digiti minimi thanks to the endings!)
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hell no!
there's nowt wrong with being a classicist...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
there's nowt wrong with being a classicist...
Not at all. But I was scared by the fact he might think I knew something about classics, when really my repertoire is along the lines of "Matella est in culina."
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not at all. But I was scared by the fact he might think I knew something about classics, when really my repertoire is along the lines of "Matella est in culina."
hehe, it was just j/k anyway

lol, is taht the cambridge latin course? What a legend. Metella does nothing but 'sedet' for about 3 chapters, and then moves into the kitchen.

*sarcasm*Can't think why people might get the idea that classics is a old boys type subject :rolleyes: *furiously starts scribbling a revolutionary feminist latin text book*
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
lol, is taht the cambridge latin course? What a legend. Metella does nothing but 'sedet' for about 3 chapters, and then moves into the kitchen.
Hehehe, but doesn't the dog jump on the table at some point? ("Mendax!" exclamavit Grumio!) That was exciting :rolleyes:

Everyone does the Cambridge Latin course - it's fab! My cousin is working for them at the moment - they're putting it on the internet so kids can learn Latin online. Rock on.
Tek2
Report 16 years ago
I am the only one who doesnt have a clue what anyones on about? I feel very thick.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek2)
I am the only one who doesnt have a clue what anyones on about? I feel very thick.
Basically, a graduate from Oxford, Cambridge or Durham is entitled to some extra letters after his name. For example:

Mr Joe Bloggs BA Hons (Oxon)
Mr John Doe BSc Hons (Cantab)
Mr David Beckham MA Hons (Dunhelm)

The Hons part is sometimes subscripted or even omitted.

J.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Basically, a graduate from Oxford, Cambridge or Durham is entitled to some extra letters after his name. For example:

Mr Joe Bloggs BA Hons (Oxon)
Mr John Doe BSc Hons (Cantab)
Mr David Beckham MA Hons (Dunhelm)

The Hons part is sometimes subscripted or even omitted.

J.
I don't think you can get a BSc from Cambridge, can you? Even the NatScis graduate with BAs.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you look at maps of Britain, areas in Oxford come with Oxon, but in Cambridge it's Cam, not Cantab, presumably so you don't get it mixed up with Canterbury.
What a useless piece of information...
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think you can get a BSc from Cambridge, can you? Even the NatScis graduate with BAs.

Think you might be right, not sure.
Feeling you get MSci but not BSci? Could be completely wrong.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (475)
66.62%
No (238)
33.38%

Watched Threads