Doxbridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
AdamC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I only think of this because i just posted and used the term... but...

What do people think? Is Doxbridge a term some of us delinquent oxbridge rejects use to kid ourselves Durham is at the same level as these oxbridge universities?

Or, does it have some founding?

If someone says Doxbridge do you think "tw*t" or "yeehawww" lol? :cool:
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AdamC)
Is Doxbridge a term some of us delinquent oxbridge rejects use to kid ourselves Durham is at the same level as these oxbridge universities?
Yes .
AdamC
Rep:
?
PS: I hate chavs and working class people.
AdamC
Rep:
?
Who the hell did that... coz it wasnt me... though it's true i dislike Chavs... but i have nothing against working class people!!! *changes password quickly*
Valen
Report 13 years ago
Personally i don't like the term Doxbridge. I know Durham is a good university, and certainly on a par with Oxbridge for certain subjects. In fact it is a better university for physics or geology (of which my degree currently comprises 1/3rd each). I don't like the way the word doxbridge just lumps them all together as Durham has its own unique strengths. I would rather it be Oxbridge and Durham, and we all know which is better (opens proverbial can of worms).
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't like "Doxbridge" simply because all Oxbridge students hate it and seem to think that we all use it to try and be "on the same level" as them :rolleyes:

Well I don't use it, but I think that we're just as good as them
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We don't need to use it, as that makes it sound like we are trying to become them. We are simply Durham, and we stand on our own reputation.
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We're just as good as them, but they're just that little bit more stuck up! So we really don't want to be associated with them, not t'other way round so lets just be Durham and let Oxbridge get the flak for being stuck up ****s
vickyrkenya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I use it sometimes as a joke, but don't for a second believe it. I didnt even apply to Oxbridge, and if i could have im honestly not sure I would have done. Far too much stress just to get into a marginally (in some cases) better university.
morals_officer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We're not oxbridge and never will be. We're sexier (lie) and our beer is cheaper (true). The thing is, the phrase just adds a bit more rancour to the fact that, on the oxbridge borderline (which most of use are) getting in is essentially a lottery. It pisses off people from places like nottingham and bath immensely, mind.
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
anyway, talkin of oxbridge, put your hand up if you're an oxbridge reject

*puts hand up*
Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well since I don't think I've ever heard anyone outside of Durham university use the term 'Doxbridge', I think we can safely assume that it's something that some OxBridge reject dreamed up to justify themselves. We're not OxBridge, and shouldn't be lumped together with them. I'd use the term if I needed to describe a joint venture between the three universities, or, say, a "doxbridge barcrawl", but other than that I think it just sounds pretentious.
Just in case you were wondering, I didn't apply to Oxford or Cambridge, although I still respect them as great seats of learning.
morals_officer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oxford rejected me, the idiots. But hey, our beer's shedloads cheaper.

Anyway, I've never known any durham student to say "doxbridge", and if i heard anyone say it I'd probably slap the bugger.
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im just bitter coz the guy who got the ONLY music place had a v rich daddy who bought him lots of nice things... grr private school boys want shot not meanin 2 offend ne nice rich private school kids
Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if i heard anyone say it I'd probably slap the bugger.
Good man. I think it has certain, specific uses, but to use it as a generic term in the way that 'Oxbridge' is would be precocious.
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oxford rejected me AND gave me mumps!! I have reason to be bitter......x
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't there a joint sporting event known as doxbridge?
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by undercover-ange)
Oxford rejected me AND gave me mumps!! I have reason to be bitter......x
oh well at least they just rejected me and took me to the cinema in which people CLAPPED at a funny joke!!!!
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didnt apply to oxbridge :cool: , I wish I had now, I might have got in :rolleyes:
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cobra)
I didnt apply to oxbridge :cool: , I wish I had now, I might have got in :rolleyes:
are you posh? coz if ur not u wudnt have got in :p: lol

they actually commented on my common geordie accent... like HOW RUDE but hey il get over bein common some day lol :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?