The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah try it...there is no harm in asking is it...but yeah well done!!! I can't wait for my result
check your hand book but you should get that rounded up and get 70% and get a first, most uni's round up if it's 69.5 or over i think x
Reply 3
Have you been told that your classification is a 2:1? If not, check first, because in most universities, that's classed as borderline 1st and providing you didn't majorly mess up first year, and 80% of people on your course didn't also get a 1st or a 2:1, you should be awarded a 1st.

Well done by the way!!! :biggrin:
It depends on the university as to whether you would automatically get a rounded up mark. With a mark that close I'd suspect you'd be given a viva voce exam to push you up to a first. However, that depends if the criteria at your particular institution allow that. I know some places that would only give firsts if the total number of first class marks in examinations was at least half of the total number of examinations (or modules) sat, regardless of averages.
Congratulations! What a ridiculously harsh mark though, but isn't something like that usually classed as a first anyway?
Reply 6
stripy_socks07
check your hand book but you should get that rounded up and get 70% and get a first, most uni's round up if it's 69.5 or over i think x

but then 69.4 just misses out..

somebody has to be the guy that was *so* close

i'd ask for it to be reconsidered.. i mean, they could have done something completely retarded ..

it's horrible but be prepared to be told you got a 2.1 without a doubt.

anyways the weather is beautiful so at least you've got that. :smile:
69.8% is automatically a First @ my uni as it over the .5 . . . a friend of mine, her mate got 69.3 - he's been given a 2:1.
Reply 8
congradulations! however i really think it depends on the university. i was recently told my cousin was 2 marks off a first in her degree and she still got a 2:1, this was the university of leeds btw
Lol in some departments here, getting 67% gives you a first... definitely ask!
Reply 10
Harrisflyer
Just received my final degree result of 69.8%.

Is it worth me asking for work to be reconsidered in order to gain the 0.2% required for a 1st?

Cheers.

OMFG DEJA VU

Very good question actually, and one discussed by my parent's friends (who are academics and examiners) over dinner on Saturday night. It depends on any accumulated work over the three years, as well as where the marks are distributed. Essentially they just pore over all your examined works and decide whether they would like you to end up with a first or not. So perhaps being nice to your tutors would pay off here :P

Definitely consider asking for a roundup to a first.
Harrisflyer
Just received my final degree result of 69.8%.

Is it worth me asking for work to be reconsidered in order to gain the 0.2% required for a 1st?

Cheers.

Some university policies are if the grade is over .5% at the boundary then it automatically moves your degree classification up a level.
But I would definitely look into it!
Ask :smile: Well done!
Reply 13
I think some universities offer students with "borderline" results the opportunity to appeal. If you're told that your "official" classification is a 2:1 and you'd rather have a first, it might be worth talking to your students' union. Although, as others said, it's quite possible your result will be rounded up into the first-class boundary as a matter of course.

Well done in any case!! x
Reply 14
Congratulations!
At Leeds (at least in Joint Honours) 68.5 + is a 1st, so I'd definitely speak to someone! The policy of Leeds if you're that close is that at least half of your marks must come from the higher classification. But it looks like many uni's do it in many different ways so your best bet is to contact your uni.
How do you work out the total percentage? Or is it different for each uni?

Congrats by the way!
Reply 16
Congratulations ! You would probably be awarded a first unless your uni is very big on tiny details. I had an average of 69.95 and was awarded a first.
Well done !
Reply 17
Lady Stardust21
How do you work out the total percentage? Or is it different for each uni?

Congrats by the way!

Working out your total percentage is different for each uni and depends on the number and credit value of the modules you study. Your uni handbook should have details on its calculation policy.
Reply 18
Harsh! Hopefully it will go up to a first. Good job though :yy:
Reply 19
My friend's brother was 0.03% away from a first and they wouldn't let him have it. :p:
Grats though!

Latest