fuel strike Watch

This discussion is closed.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
we all know blockages dont work. they only cause problems for us.

as an alternative, would go have a days strike instead od fuel blockade?

poll comin
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A bit more context?
zooropa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't.

Oil prices are high for reasons beyond the control of the government.
MorbidAngel
(Original post by zooropa)
I wouldn't.

Oil prices are high for reasons beyond the control of the government.
and the large percantage of duty on it is the governments fault.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It really bugs me that £40 of petrol only lasts about 10 days for me but in the states that £40 would get me loads more petrol.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
It really bugs me that £40 of petrol only lasts about 10 days for me but in the states that £40 would get me loads more petrol.
10 days - wow....£40 worth lasts me 4 days *curses commuting distance and lack of buses/trains*
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
10 days - wow....£40 worth lasts me 4 days *curses commuting distance and lack of buses/trains*
I dont use the car as much at the moment! if I was working thenit would only last something like 2-3 days as I have to drive all over Wirral for uni and then clinics. If I tried doing that on public transport it'd cost me way more!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had to sell my car when we moved to London. £40 tends to cover my public transport needs for a month though
MorbidAngel
(Original post by PQ)
no wonder your hubby was experimentin with veggie oil!

£40 usually lasts me 10-14 days, depending on whre im workin (could be anywhere between 7 and 30 miles from home)
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm just glad I live in Cambridge and can get everywhere I need to by bike
MorbidAngel
imagine if airline companies had to start payin £1/litre for fuel.... considerin those engines burn fuel faster than what water can run outta a tap, it would cost thousands to fill 1 plane
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
fuel duty isn't a percentage, its a set amount per litre. however there is VAT on fuel too.

i think its the disgusting oil companies that are to blame. they should take a cut in their profits.

plus if you're polluting my air with your dirty petrol, you should pay tax to go towards fixing my black black lungs
MorbidAngel
(Original post by drawmeamonkey)
plus if you're polluting my air with your dirty petrol, you should pay tax to go towards fixing my black black lungs
i dont use petrol, i use diesel

oh, and i do pay to 'fix' you lungs. its called NI. (aswell as the tax i pay before i get my wages, and the tax you have to pay to spend it)

alright for the governement. since you have to pay tax on everything twice, they make even more money and give themselves yet another pay rise
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont use petrol, i use diesel

oh, and i do pay to 'fix' you lungs. its called NI. (aswell as the tax i pay before i get my wages, and the tax you have to pay to spend it)

alright for the governement. since you have to pay tax on everything twice, they make even more money and give themselves yet another pay rise
yes but i pay NI too. its the same as having massive taxes on smoking - if its unnecessarily (i'm sure you'll have something to say about that!) causing harm then the damage needs to be paid for.

i can argue about tax all day! services need to be paid for, if there was no tax the country would be a far worse place to live, imagine it
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I could handel high taxes on petrol if public transport is reliable and cheap-its neither so I have to drive.
MorbidAngel
(Original post by frost105)
I could handel high taxes on petrol if public transport is reliable and cheap-its neither so I have to drive.

i cant use public transport. i have about 50-75KG of tools/equipment to carry round. sometimes ladders. public transport isnt an option. i would also have to use a bus to the metro, metro to somewhere else then another bus or 2/3, takin over 2hours for some places. and i aint gonna spend 4 hours per days sittin on busses
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeh and thats for policy reason, and in real terms the duty on petrol hasnt risen over the last 7 yrs, its just due to OPEC being greedy and increased demand from consumers around the world.
KizD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Morbid angel, where would you like taxes raised elsewhere? Or would you prefer we cut the NHS/Education/National security/Transport budget? Save me the tiresome bureacracy and waste cuts, be realistic.

"Around three quarters of the cost of a litre of petrol goes to the Government in duty and tax. Prices have increased with the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

A Treasury spokesman said that working with the US government to restore oil production there in the wake of Hurricane Katrina was the most important factor in reducing current fuel costs.

The spokesman added: "It is worth noting that road fuel duty rates on the main types of petrol and diesel are lower now than they were six years ago, back in 1999, and since then, the main rates of road fuel duty have fallen nearly 12 per cent in real terms, saving the average motorist around six pence per litre every time they fill up."

The week-long protest five years ago was widely thought to have cost British business £1 billion."
MorbidAngel
(Original post by KizD)
saving the average motorist around six pence per litre every time they fill up."
so, if its 6p cheaper then why is it now around £1/litre
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
so, if its 6p cheaper then why is it now around £1/litre
No 6p cheaper than if the treasury had kept the rate of duty the same in real terms i.e. inflation. I favour protests and stuff, but the only sort that would work would be a world wide one, and as already mentioned the only people who lose out with these ones and business and consumers.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (626)
80.77%
Leave (149)
19.23%

Watched Threads