Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My local Asda has decided to put the price of Polos up from 22p to 26p. Even if I just use 1 packet of polos a day thats 1460p a year!

My course of action? I'm going to take a day off work. Or, I could get a load of people to stand outside the Polo factory so none of their polo-delivery lorries can get out. That will decrease the amount of polos but demand will still be high, which in my *strange* way of thinking will get prices down. (I haven't figured it all out yet, OK?)

Or, I could say "meh, prices go up."

ReputationRep:
    ( I like crappy anallergies. )

ReputationRep:
    The duty on oil is there for a reason. All oil produces negative externalities, consumers have to be charged for that

The current price hikes are out of the goverments control, if you want somebody to blame. Blame America

(Original post by OMGWTF)
    The duty on oil is there for a reason. All oil produces negative externalities, consumers have to be charged for that

The current price hikes are out of the goverments control, if you want somebody to blame. Blame America

they also expect you to pay 27.1P per litre of 'alternatve' fuel used. even tho its has less effects that the fossil fuel version

(Original post by mdm708)
    My local Asda has decided to put the price of Polos up from 22p to 26p. Even if I just use 1 packet of polos a day thats 1460p a year!

My course of action? I'm going to take a day off work. Or, I could get a load of people to stand outside the Polo factory so none of their polo-delivery lorries can get out. That will decrease the amount of polos but demand will still be high, which in my *strange* way of thinking will get prices down. (I haven't figured it all out yet, OK?)

Or, I could say "meh, prices go up."
    the fact is we pay 90P per litre. america pays a lot less per litre. not sure how much tho. spain charges 54P per litre (or it was 54P compared to 85P at the time the table was made a fw month ago). obviously, if spain charges 54P then that proves that our government is keepin the difference. itll be going towards his spending fund for his holidays and his 100% annual pay rise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    the fact is we pay 90P per litre. america pays a lot less per litre. not sure how much tho. spain charges 54P per litre (or it was 54P compared to 85P at the time the table was made a fw month ago). obviously, if spain charges 54P then that proves that our government is keepin the difference. itll be going towards his spending fund for his holidays and his 100% annual pay rise

Spain also have road tolls and a ****** economy. The UK manages to attract 40% of foreign direct investment from the whole EU, we must be doing something right. You still haven't addressed where you are going to raise taxes elsewhere or cut spending. Or how to combat the negative externalities from petrol comsumption.

(Original post by KizD)
    Spain also have road tolls and a ****** economy. The UK manages to attract 40% of foreign direct investment from the whole EU, we must be doing something right. You still haven't addressed where you are going to raise taxes elsewhere or cut spending. Or how to combat the negative externalities from petrol comsumption.

simple way to save money: dont let illegal immigrants in.

also, if other countries (i.e america) can sell fuel for next to nothin, then surely we can

ReputationRep:
    simple way to save money: dont let illegal immigrants in.

also, if other countries (i.e america) can sell fuel for next to nothin, then surely we can
    You sound like a disgruntled tory. We don't let illegal immagrants in, that's why by definition, they are illegal. You probably want to spend more money stopping them, oh wait, "spend money"-- requires tax, you see the connection?

America also doesn't have the NHS to run. Stop comparing other counties tax systems, it's a fallable arguement.

(Original post by KizD)
    You sound like a disgruntled tory. We don't let illegal immagrants in, that's why by definition, they are illegal. You probably want to spend more money stopping them, oh wait, "spend money"-- requires tax, you see the connection?

America also doesn't have the NHS to run. Stop comparing other counties tax systems, it's a fallable arguement.
    well dont let as many legal immigrants in. and dont give them loads of benefit that UK citizens pay for

ReputationRep:
    well dont let as many legal immigrants in. and dont give them loads of benefit that UK citizens pay for
    Immigrants contribute more to the UK economy than they take out, fact. Search the D&D if you want evidence for this.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, can't really attribute petrol rising in price to migrants coming into this country (you can try ). If you stop letting migrants in, growth will slow, marginally. Benefits are only available to migrants after they have been in work a year, and then only a select set of benefits (as I understand it)

Fuel Duty being high isn't a bad thing. Fair enough to the person who has to carry ladders around, but the vast majority of journeys (the commute) could be made by bus, train or tram - faster (for me in rush hour... whizz down bus lanes), and more environmentally friendly.

Although maybe someone could explain to me why the onus seems to be on OPEC to increase production, instead of reducing consumption. Bringing forward the date we run out of oil helps no one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexcutts)
    Although maybe someone could explain to me why the onus seems to be on OPEC to increase production, instead of reducing consumption. Bringing forward the date we run out of oil helps no one.
    Just goes to show how dependant on oil we are. I've heard a range of estimates of how much oil is left and how long it will last, but it's all dependant on the rate of consumption and how much of it is economically extractable. I'd be interested to know if anyone has got a good source for this information, preferably something not from the Green Party :p:

ReputationRep:
    we all know blockages dont work. they only cause problems for us.

as an alternative, would go have a days strike instead od fuel blockade?

poll comin

Errrrr, wtf, year 2000, only the most sucessful industrial action in the last few decades?!!? :eek:

(Original post by shavenwookiee)
    Errrrr, wtf, year 2000, only the most sucessful industrial action in the last few decades?!!? :eek:

but it still doesnt get around the fact that the people who suffer the most are us. were the people who have no fuel to get around. mr bliar will have some put to the side for his use (bit like me...)

ReputationRep:
    but it still doesnt get around the fact that the people who suffer the most are us. were the people who have no fuel to get around. mr bliar will have some put to the side for his use (bit like me...)
    Oh right, well in that case I totally agree.

(Original post by shavenwookiee)
    Oh right, well in that case I totally agree.
    best way is not to buy from BP or Esso (2 biggest suppliers in UK). theyll either go bust or reduce prices if no1 buys from them. pity that not every will do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Give us a suitable more environmentally friendly alternative and I would happily use it. The fact is that Public transport is inadequate. Where I live (and this is definately not an isolated case) theres no trains; buses come once every hour but are unbelievably unreliable (try waiting 2 hrs for one) and only go to one location and dont run past 8 o'clock (5 on a sunday). We live in a society where travelling long distances quickly is essential to the economy. If the money generated from tax went towards research for a new fuel I wouldnt mind so much but its not.

Another problem i have with the whole rise in fuel prices recently is how quickly petrol companies responded to Katrina. How did it affect our supplies so quickly?

(Original post by midloon)
    Give us a suitable more environmentally friendly alternative and I would happily use it.
    veggie oil (diesel engines only). altho the government want you to pay 27.1P/litre to use it

you also have to either mix it with diesel to 'water' it down or have a conversion what heats the veggie oil before it goes into the engine

ReputationRep:
    veggie oil (diesel engines only). altho the government want you to pay 27.1P/litre to use it

you also have to either mix it with diesel to 'water' it down or have a conversion what heats the veggie oil before it goes into the engine
    Say what? Never heard of that one. explain it to me? Though by the sounds of it you still have to use diesel. how does the conversion work?

(Original post by midloon)
    Say what? Never heard of that one. explain it to me? Though by the sounds of it you still have to use diesel. how does the conversion work?

i dont run on 100% veggie oil

basically, veggie oil is the same as diesel, but thicker. hence the need to either heat it or water it down

ive just started tryin it with mine, so its been gettin mixed with the diesel. ATM it has 20L diesel, 12L veggie oil. so far there is no difference in performance or anything.

conversion works by startin the car on diesel. once the engine gets warm, the cooling water is used to heat the veggie oil. once veggie oil is at a higher temp, it switches to veggie oil instead of diesel. before switchin off, you switch back to diesel

try searchin for 'veggie oil' most popular results are about running diesel engines on veggie oil

if i did convert it properly, it would save loads of diesel. you can also use used veggie oil, providing you filter is a bit to clean it up a bit

also, if you search for all threads by me, there should be a thread near the top about this

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.