What did you do when you found out? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
To copy the last question of Oxbridge admissions, what did you do when you found out whether you'd got in? I was so suprised I'd got in I cried! Then I called my Dad and he cried :rolleyes: Tell us your stories!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It was 3am, I ran around the living room in circles trying to be very very quiet.
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
To copy the last question of Oxbridge admissions, what did you do when you found out whether you'd got in? I was so suprised I'd got in I cried! Then I called my Dad and he cried :rolleyes: Tell us your stories!
Home from school on last day of term, picked up post from doorstep and leafed through it. Shocked to see small white envelope with college stamp - I knew roughly when it would arrive as were told at interview the date they would post the letters out. Turned out the letter actually arrived the day they said they would post them out! I would love to say I opened it with style and dignity.....that would, however, be a total lie! I ripped my way into the envelope, pulled out the letter and read as fast as possible to get it over with quickly. Got about as far as 'I am pleased to...' and promptly burst into tears, then got panic attack and regained composure to double check that they were not pleased to reject me! More tears, phoned parents, went back to school to tell my teachers, more tears, and lots of re-reading the letter to make sure that it was indeed real!
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
It arrived on our last day of term. I went out that night to a party without going home first. Arrived back around 1.30 am to find my parents sitting up looking anxious. Initally I thought something dreadful had happened or that I was in deep trouble. Then I saw the envelope. The parents said they didn't want to spoil my evening by telling me it had arrived but they couldn't go to bed not knowing!! In all honesty a night partying dulled the experience. My Dad insisted on opening a bottle of champagne he'd bought in hope. He had worked out that a thickish enevelope was probably a good sign. Waking the next morning was a straneg mix of elation, confusion and hangover. Eventually it sunk in.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
It arrived on our last day of term. I went out that night to a party without going home first. Arrived back around 1.30 am to find my parents sitting up looking anxious. Initally I thought something dreadful had happened or that I was in deep trouble. Then I saw the envelope. The parents said they didn't want to spoil my evening by telling me it had arrived but they couldn't go to bed not knowing!! In all honesty a night partying dulled the experience. My Dad insisted on opening a bottle of champagne he'd bought in hope. He had worked out that a thickish enevelope was probably a good sign. Waking the next morning was a straneg mix of elation, confusion and hangover. Eventually it sunk in.
Lol, yes I wasn't home when it arrived and apparently my Mum was examining the envelope trying to work out how many pieces of paper were in there! Turns out there were two
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Had prepared myself for a rejection, especially as the stamp on the envelope said it was from my first college rather than the one I was pooled to, so just opened it up quickly and then read it four or five times to make sure. I was quite calm about it but my mum went bonkers.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was pleased, but It didn't affect me that much.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was quite nervous, actually. When I got the envelope, I literally tore it open, then picked it up and just dropped it out of sheer nerves. I picked it up again, but didn't read it, I just scanned it quickly with my eyes looking for successful/unsuccessful when my eyes landed on "AAA". I was delighted! I then re-read it when I had calmed down to make sure
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My mum sent one of their company's messengers out on Christmas morning to the post office (without telling me), and at about 10:00, I heard sreaming downstairs... I kinda heard what they were screaming about, but I wasn't quite sure coz my bedroom door was shut... so, I went out the room, realised that I'd got an offer, turned around, ran back into the room, slammed the door and just screamed. I thought I had no chance at all of getting in!!

It all passed quite quickly though, and I'm still annoyed that my mum opened MY letter... she said she couldn't help it :mad:
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was expecting mine the Monday before Christmas and came home for lunch to find the post still hadn't arrived, I was just leaving to go back to work when I saw the postman at the top of the street, I ran up to him and made him give me the letter as he does our house last, to my horror there was nothing but Christmas cards! :rolleyes: I went back to work very dejected and not looking forward to going through all the waiting the next day.

Tuesday dawned (well not literally it was still dark) and I went downstairs to get breakfast and thepost had just arrived, so I grabbed it and went into the kitchen and yelped, "It's here!" It was pretty thick so I yanked it open and screamed when I saw the 'I'm pleased to tell you...' hugged my Dad and rang my Mum who was in Tescos
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was in bed when my Dad woke me up with the letter. My Mum came in too. I was so tense I didn't open it at first but then my Dad told me I'd have to do it ether way and my Mum reminded me that Cambridge wasn't everything, so I opened it. I got as far as "We are pleased to offer you" and then went in a much quieter voice than xpected "I got a place". My Dad told me to check and it was true! I was so happy I started bouncing around the bed! I was on a high all day and my Mum made me phone everyone to tell them! This was New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well it seems like a long time ago now, but I guess it was only two years. It arrived whilst I was on holiday in scotland, so it had been sitting there for about a week before I got home late at night after a long car journey. At this point I was so convinced that because of my grades and only answering two and half questions out of four on the entrance test I'd been rejected. So I sifted through the post nonchalently until I found it, by which point my mum and dad were standing next to me expectedly. I slowly opened the letter thinking I knew the outcome already. Upon reading the first line, which now I forget the exact words to, I knew so I gave a wry smile and checked the rest of the letter a couple of times to be sure. Then without saying anything I handed the letter to my parents and sat down on a nearby dining chair because I felt numb. Then I got lots of congratulations and said "I better do some work this year then". Then I went to sleep because I was tired.

The state I was in on results day was much worse.

Alaric.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was asleep when the post came - my parents came bouncing into my room, threw the letter at me and then sat on my bed until I opened it. I was so bleary I couldn't find the letter at first - I pulled out a note about bursaries and sat blinking at it for a minute, thinking 'oh, it was a false alarm...' until my dad gave me an exasperated look and pulled out the offer letter for me. I cried a bit
neildm
Report 16 years ago
Was in a hospital with an IV drip in my arm on the 3rd January 2003 when I got the news - wasn't superficially excited at all, very drowsy actually.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I knew my letter was arriving on Wednesday cos i phoned the college.

I was convinced I was gonna be rejected. I felt I wasn't given enough opportunity to demonstrate potential in my one 20 minute for a 3 subject degree (and no non-academic interview). In anticipation of a rejection, on Tuesday night I completed my 2nd draft of my letter to the college expressing my frustrations with the admissions procedure because surely they couldn't have assesed me properly lol.

Wednesday morning I woke up and ran a bath and was planning to call in sick at work so I could spend the day moaning and feeling sorry for myself . It was about 8.30am and I knew the post was imminent so I decided that I would bathe, get dressed then open my letter after breakfast. The mail dropped as I began to wash myself....as if by instinct, I jumped out of the bath and ran toward the letterbox naked and dripping bubbles all over the place. I accelerated out of the bath tub so fast that i literally bought half the water with me!

As I ran down the stairs I could see a big white envelope - I knew it was an offer! And if it wasnt, how dare they write to me rejecting me in such a grand, indiscreet A4 sized envelope!

To consolidate my feelings that It was an offer, I randomly recalled posts from Uk-learning where people had said a thick envelope = offer. I tore it open it a rather animal like fashion - a big diagonal tear! I didn't read it i just saw many subheadings in bold, and a pro forma sheet dropped on the floor with the words "financial guarantee". I felt so happy I threw the bits of paper up in air and ran back to bath - or perhaps I ran back to the bathroom because I knew the Spanish lady who cleans my home had a key and was due (and I quite fancy her you see).

Anyway, as I lay in the warm bath I made calls to all my friends informing them that I was in.....call by call the happiness turned slowly into a feeling of shock......I began to realise the amount of work ahead of me..............

When I got home from work that evening I read the whole letter to make sure it was an offer and that I hadnt got the wrong end of the stick

Anyway, I am over it now, and my whole life has been dominated my Cambridge for months.....right now I just want to remain happy, but put cam to the back of my mind for now and get on with my once normal life.

BTW - I am 23 years old....pretty pathetic behaviour for an adult huh?
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My parents woke me up by coming into my room at 9am on new year's eve. My mum was holding the letter and said 'it's here.' I sat up, took the letter and thought 'it's too thick for a rejection' opened it quite steadily - felt really detached as there was no way on earth I expected to get in after the mess I made of the interview. I was also wary about the contents because I remembered that my pool letter from the previous year had been quite thick. I opened the letter and pulled out a load of sheets, saw one about instrumental awards, so knew I'd got in, then read the main letter which began 'dear Michelle, I am glad to write to you now offering you an unconditional place...'. Muttered 'I'm going to Cambridge,' and felt rather flat about it - it was an utter anticlimax in a way after going through all the months of preparation, doing the interview and then having to wait 2 weeks to find out the result (and doing this 2 years in a row).
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
My parents woke me up by coming into my room at 9am on new year's eve. My mum was holding the letter and said 'it's here.' I sat up, took the letter and thought 'it's too thick for a rejection' opened it quite steadily - felt really detached as there was no way on earth I expected to get in after the mess I made of the interview. I was also wary about the contents because I remembered that my pool letter from the previous year had been quite thick. I opened the letter and pulled out a load of sheets, saw one about instrumental awards, so knew I'd got in, then read the main letter which began 'dear Michelle, I am glad to write to you now offering you an unconditional place...'. Muttered 'I'm going to Cambridge,' and felt rather flat about it - it was an utter anticlimax in a way after going through all the months of preparation, doing the interview and then having to wait 2 weeks to find out the result (and doing this 2 years in a row).
Kinda got that 'anti-climax' feeling myself!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't really do anything dramatic - my dad just told me I had got a letter from Pemborke, I opened it, skimmed the first paragraph, smilied a bit, quickly reread it to make sure then turned and told my dad "I got in!".

The only vaugly interesting thing was that it was worderd very similar to the letter Harry Potter get's when he goes to Hogwarts, and from then on my mum always insisted in calling it my Hogwarts Letter

Dear Mr Potter we are delighted to inform you...
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I didn't really do anything dramatic - my dad just told me I had got a letter from Pemborke, I opened it, skimmed the first paragraph, smilied a bit, quickly reread it to make sure then turned and told my dad "I got in!".

The only vaugly interesting thing was that it was worderd very similar to the letter Harry Potter get's when he goes to Hogwarts, and from then on my mum always insisted in calling it my Hogwarts Letter

Dear Mr Potter we are delighted to inform you...
So are you leaving Essex Uni (as this is your location according to your tag thing) to go to Oxbridge?
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
So are you leaving Essex Uni (as this is your location according to your tag thing) to go to Oxbridge?
He just missed his grades for Oxford and is now at Essex
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (154)
60.87%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.35%
No- I want it (71)
28.06%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.72%

Watched Threads