how difficult is it to pass grade 6 piano exam? Watch

Jayj_Leigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
i'm on abrsm... fail fail fail fail
i'm really scared cause my piano teacher kind of threw me in at the deep end and i found out that i was taking my piano exam next tuesday about a month ago.. my scales aren't terrible and neither are my pieces but my arpeggios are like notttt good and i don't even know what i'm doing for the rest of it....

help me, and is it harder to pass than it is to fail if you get me?
zzhahahoho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's not hard to pass at all. i thought i did really crap for grade 6 piano then got a distinction.

just be positive and if you make a mistake just carry on. the examiner is not looking for you to fail, unless you look/sound really unprepared.

arpeggios are only a small part in your scales, if you mess up its only a couple of marks. make sure that your pieces are reasonably good, they are what makes the most of the marks. you have practised sight reading and aural havent you?
timelordess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not hard as long as you practise sight reading and aural. My brother (who by his own admission is far from being dedicated to piano) failed ABRSM grade 6 piano first time round because he failed the sight reading and aural bits, but he passed second time round because his teacher gave him more practice in these areas, e.g. by giving him an aural CD that he could use at home.

I remember grade 6 being disproportionately hard. I got a distinction at grade 5 but only passed grade 6 by a few marks (sight reading was my downfall). I think it's because there's a bigger jump from grade 5 to grade 6 than from grade 6 to grade 7. But fear not! Once you jump over the hurdle piano gets way more interesting!
grademusictutors
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firstly, don't panic, that's a sure way to make matters worse.
Now, when you say your piano teacher threw you in at the deep end, you found out that you were taking your piano exam "next tuesday about a month ago", and " i don't even know what i'm doing for the rest of it...." does all that mean he/she didn't notify you of the dates in the Syllabus? Did he/she even go through the syllabus with you? The two of you should know exactly when the exam is happening, the entry deadlines, entry fees etc. And you should be preparing well in advance for any exam above grade 5 for at least 9 months to a yr (depending on speed of your progress). What you've mentioned doesn't sound quite right but perhaps you might like to elaborate on how much preparation you've done with your teacher for this exam.

Anyway, that aside, you should start to treat exams from grade 5 onwards as a performance where technique, articulation and interpretation of music are even more important. I'm guessing you'd like to pass grade 6 well, preferably with Distinction? If so, it might be helpful to speak to other pianists or your teacher about their experiences or better still, listen (if you can get them) to recordings/other performances of the works you are learning to get a differect perspective. Also I recommend (if you don't already have it) getting the book 'These music exams' from ABRSM as it will give pointers on how to best play the pieces.
For arpeggios (depending on your hand size), I'd practice spreading the hand as far as possible and twisting/turning your wrist to the right and the left (for going up and down for the right and left hands respectively), so that you're making a turning/waving movement'. While doing this, see how far your thumb can tuck under (this should be done on the wrist turn).

Any more questions, let me know

Charles
Jayj_Leigh
Rep:
?
i dont even know how the exam works or what's in it :/ i've done no aural tests but i'm not bad at singing i haven't done sight reading...

OH MY GOD I AM PANICKING!!!!!!
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's quite easy. Grade 8 is the only exam which is bloody hard
grademusictutors
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jayj_Leigh)
i dont even know how the exam works or what's in it :/ i've done no aural tests but i'm not bad at singing i haven't done sight reading...

OH MY GOD I AM PANICKING!!!!!!
I could be wrong but sounds like your teacher hasn't told you much about what to expect nor gone through the syllabus with you which would be quite strange (and shocking) if that's the case.
I suggest ringing ABRSM on 020 7636 5400 and asking for a current Syllabus for Piano Grade 6 (they'll post one free). If I were you, I'd ask for a meeting with the teacher to go through exactly what I need to work on - don't leave anything out, this is too important.

I can only reiterate, if what you say is true, your teacher should have told you everything about what to learn, the pass marks (which are in the Syllabus anyway), the entry dates and fees etc. All this should be clear well before you get the exam date.

You have a month left, so the sooner you get started on this and work on what you can do best at, the less you reduce the chances of disaster on the day.

Let me know if you need any more help
Jayj_Leigh
Rep:
?
(Original post by grademusictutors)
I could be wrong but sounds like your teacher hasn't told you much about what to expect nor gone through the syllabus with you which would be quite strange (and shocking) if that's the case.
I suggest ringing ABRSM on 020 7636 5400 and asking for a current Syllabus for Piano Grade 6 (they'll post one free). If I were you, I'd ask for a meeting with the teacher to go through exactly what I need to work on - don't leave anything out, this is too important.

I can only reiterate, if what you say is true, your teacher should have told you everything about what to learn, the pass marks (which are in the Syllabus anyway), the entry dates and fees etc. All this should be clear well before you get the exam date.

You have a month left, so the sooner you get started on this and work on what you can do best at, the less you reduce the chances of disaster on the day.

Let me know if you need any more help
no i have 4 days lol! craaaaaaaaap.. will they send me a syllabus in time? could i get that on the internet? i don't know how the exam works or anything he told me in my lesson today that i wasnt allowed to take photocopied music in so i needed to go and buy the book.. i am so not prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
missionverdana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Syllabuses can be found on the ABRSM website:
http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/gra...yllabuses.html
grademusictutors
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no i have 4 days lol! craaaaaaaaap.. will they send me a syllabus in time? could i get that on the internet? i don't know how the exam works or anything he told me in my lesson today that i wasnt allowed to take photocopied music in so i needed to go and buy the book.. i am so not prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a complete mess to me. What were you doing with him all this time then???
Jayj_Leigh
Rep:
?
thankyou mission

and yes it is a complete mess! well i only started back to lessons after a massive break like 2 weeks before the deadline for entry.. he said i was good enough.. i'm really not so sure
i taught myself the theory and i think i've passed that.. although do i not need to take my theory pass sheet with me to the exam to prove i've passed? cause i don't have that yet.. (if i passed)
missionverdana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thankyou mission

and yes it is a complete mess! well i only started back to lessons after a massive break like 2 weeks before the deadline for entry.. he said i was good enough.. i'm really not so sure
i taught myself the theory and i think i've passed that.. although do i not need to take my theory pass sheet with me to the exam to prove i've passed? cause i don't have that yet.. (if i passed)
I never took Grade 6, but at my Grade 7 and Grade 8 exams they did not ask me to bring proof I had passed theory. I assume when they get your application they check in their magic database as to whether or not you passed theory...
Jayj_Leigh
Rep:
?
thanks to everyone that responded - it went horrifcly so i dont think i passed but thats life i suppose..
SwagCakes
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This might be a wee bit late but how'd it go Jayj?
katielui
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
im doing it a month later exact and im bad at scales and idk aural yet, arpeggios are v bad because the F
katielui
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zzhahahoho)
it's not hard to pass at all. i thought i did really crap for grade 6 piano then got a distinction.

just be positive and if you make a mistake just carry on. the examiner is not looking for you to fail, unless you look/sound really unprepared.

arpeggios are only a small part in your scales, if you mess up its only a couple of marks. make sure that your pieces are reasonably good, they are what makes the most of the marks. you have practised sight reading and aural havent you?
is it hard to pass aural bc idk aural
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.21%
Not great so far... (255)
35.76%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.79%

Watched Threads