UKAB Help - somebody? ANYBODY?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
O.k, i'm doing AS computing and have a practical task to do. Basically i have no idea how to do it and my teacher is about as helpful as a chinese duck! If anyone can help pleeeeeeeeeease post back!
The task is called UKAB (imaginary exam board) remarks and you have to design a system for the monitoring of its post examination re-marks. There's too many details to list but if anyone has heard or done this i beg you to reply.
Thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
create 4 tables in microsoft access, remarks, subjects, centres and candidates. Work all reports and querys on those tables. Its really easy.
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
Hello, o.k it sounds like you know what your doing, THANK YOU!!!
I don't suppose you could help me anymore? I know its cheeky to ask but i don't really know how to do it. My email is [email protected] if its too long to post. If you can't then thanks for help!
high^flyer
Badges: 0
?
Report 18 years ago
Hmm...
It's not that difficult, if you think logically.
All you need to do is create two database tables. One to store the remark details, such as candidate name, candidate number, the centre number, sub. ref code, original mark, original grade, etc and the other to store sub. ref code and the grade boundries.
If you are going to use a high level programming language, then I would reccommend Delphi, (or Pascal, but your program is not going to be very user friendly.) it's dead simple to use!

Then you need to think about how you are going to work out the grades using the grade boundries. You can make your program work out the grades automattically and add it to the database by writting few lines of code. (If you know how to do it.)

The other is your program needs to be able to produce hardcopies (print outs) or reports.
In order to do that, you have to link your main program with the database tables. Again you would need to write few likes of code to make your program print out particular reports when a button is clicked.

Hope that helps . (Sorry it's not very detailed.)
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
o.k what you have said is very helpful, thanks very much! The only thing is i'm doing the thing in excel! I dont really get v lookup etc. Is there any chance you can help further? thanks again!
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
yeah i know- bit of a ***** aint it??!!
i'm doin it in access, better features an stuff to use than anything else. pluss i'm too f*kin stupid to know much bout any high level languages.
Don't reali get how to use visual basic in the database even.

keep looking at the points in the sheet for actual things it wants done (remember only screenshots are needed not necessarily a workin program)-so if u can figure how is should be done, it'll help even if u can't implement properly.
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
I did this, but i did it in byond (www.byond.com) its a coding language but it took me only a week to get the entire system done.
I now have 3 weeks to do all the documentation which I hate!
Maz
brendantheg
?
Report 18 years ago
please anyone who has done this UKAB database in Microsoft Access email it to me please and possibly along with the write-up(but this isn't as important)as my teacher is sooooo useless! he expects us to do this database yet hasn't even taught us how to use Access! Its beyond a joke. my email address is [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
Thanks for the responses! You lot have been pretty helpful! I'm in the same state as brendan! It's not that i can't be bothered i'm just useless at programing!
Maz, is beyond hard to use? I took a look at the site but i don't really get it. Isn't it for games? Also if its anything like pascal then i won't be able to use it, too complicated!
Thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
Hello all you poor sods having to do this...

I have tried to do it in Access and VB. I can get the basics going, but theres things like validation shite and advanced stuff like that. I could probably do it after weeks and weeks of trying but I wish I could look at something similer, so I can work from it.

My teacher is a complete donkey, he expects us to already know how to use Access and high level languages.

I'm just gonna add this page to my favourites and hope some genius supplys this project (uploaded or sommit).

If I manage to do it, i'll add a reply linking you to a download for it.

Amen!

(My email: [email protected])
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
Hi as per usual having the same problems as everyone else, i know how to do the basic pascal,c etc programming but nothing complex would be much appreciated if someone could send me the syntax for a pascal db program [email protected]
there will be a large reward!!
ManWithTheDogs
?
Report 18 years ago
Well I sympathise with those of you with inept teachers. The task actually doesn't sound too difficult. I'd be able to help anyone doing it in Delphi or a similar program but most of you seem to be using Access. Unfortunately I stopped using that many years ago so my skills aren't really up to scratch.

If anyone is really struggling with something just try to be specific and I'll help you out.

BTW, is the project being marked or are you examined on it?
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
its sorta coursework cuz we gotta take it into the exam with us and reference to it on the paper.. and i'm trying to do it in pascal and am totally lost. our teachers are the dictionary definition of useless
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
o.k i'm really suprised at how many people have to do the same task. I started this message thinking that no-one else would know what i was talking about! It's also funny that all our teachers are useless!
Man with the dogs do you know how to use pascal? thats the only programming program i have. Thanks
ManWithTheDogs
?
Report 18 years ago
I know pascal but I'd advise against using it for this. As someone else mentioned it won't be very user friendly.

Are you sure your school doesn't have Delphi? The language is still pascal but it would be much easier to complete the task.
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
Yeah pascal is a pain in the ass to learn! I'm pretty sure my school havn't got delphi, but even if they did i probably wouldn't get it!
This is a final plea to anyone who has done this damn coursework.pleeeeeeease help
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
i know that our school doesnt have delphi, but it does have acces to VB, pascal and c. personally my favorite is c, but i am new to it and not that good, VB would be ideal to use but i have never used it before, i have it just never used it. that byond thing that was metioned above does ne1 know weather we are allowed to use that?? or will we be penilised in the exam, cause i am counting on computing to get my a that i need for uni, lol points ppoints points and im still only in yr 12 ne1 help would be much appreciated in any programming language, if ne1 is willing to help me using delphi i could d/l it please let me know if you can help [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
G'day!

... well a few days ago I only knew how to drag and drop stuff from the objects menu onto the form (on MS Visual Basic) and now I've *almost* completed the project. All thats left to do is make it submit the re-mark info, and sort re-marks by a particular subject or centre. I used an MS Access database (which I needed help on from a friend :P).

I read some tutorials, got some scripts from http://vbcode.com and http://www.mvps.org/vbnet and then messed about. I chose VB cos its easy and more fun than doing it all in Accesss, so I recommend it!
When the project is complete, i'll upload the source code to a webserver so you can check it out.

Goodluck!

~Rich ([email protected])
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
I am doing this project in Visual Basic 6. Our College wont let us carry on to A2 if we do it in access but you do not get penalised for using access in the AS exam. You can use ANY high level language as well. VB seems ideally suited to doing this though and it is more fun doing it this way.
Unregistered
Badges:
?
Report 18 years ago
I think Delphi would be the easiest and the most effective solution to this. It really easy to validate, and get the reports done.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads