Student Loan problem Watch

This discussion is closed.
Crystal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi everyone I'm new here + have a question about my student loan that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

I should have started paying it back about 18months ago but nothing has come out of my wages - I'm earning above the threshold and didn't choose to defer. I've spoken to a number of people who have never paid a penny - they just seemed to 'slip through the net', as such. Does anyone know anything about this? I don't want to get myself in trouble and end up being caught up with and having to pay the whole lot back or something, but then again I feel a bit of a fool telling them if I could get away with not paying it as I have quite a large amount outstanding!

Crystal x
marabara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Crystal)
Hi everyone I'm new here + have a question about my student loan that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

I should have started paying it back about 18months ago but nothing has come out of my wages - I'm earning above the threshold and didn't choose to defer. I've spoken to a number of people who have never paid a penny - they just seemed to 'slip through the net', as such. Does anyone know anything about this? I don't want to get myself in trouble and end up being caught up with and having to pay the whole lot back or something, but then again I feel a bit of a fool telling them if I could get away with not paying it as I have quite a large amount outstanding!

Crystal x
I didn't start paying mine back till 18 months after leaving uni - it generally comes out of your salary the April after graduation assuming you are over the threshold I think

I think I put down that I was on a four year course, but only did three years and didn't say anything

I don't think its quite possible that anyone can slip through the net - I would assume they have an audit every now and again
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...and I guess if they audit and notice you hadn't paid your back they'd expect you to start the payments! I doubt they'd hit you for the whole £10,000 or whatever in one go....they'd just expect you to pay it back as you would have if the payments had started on time.

Nice idea tho...I fancy being a net slipper througher
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.71%
No (716)
73.29%

Watched Threads