The Student Room Group

LSE Msc Accounting, Organisation and Institutions worth it?

Hi guys,

quick question.

How would you rank the above mentioned course?

I would love to live in London and also to go to LSE. Nevertheless the course seems pretty irelevant when it comes to work in the financial sector. Does the LSE brand carry enough weight to offset that? (If I have relevant experience on my CV based on internships during my undergrad)

Otherwise:

I have the opportunity to go to Bocconi for the Msc in Finance, Durham for the Msc in Finance or St Gallen.

Nevertheless, St Gallen would require 8 extra courses which I am not willing to take. Furthermore it is two years which I do not really like.

The two years also scare me regarding the Bocconi offer.

Durham seems okish but I cannot say whether the Durham Msc Finance is really better than the above mentioned course (especially if this one is tajeb in combination with CFA Lvl 1?)

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where's your undergrad?
Bocconi. The LSE brand name is not worth 20 k unless you studied at a polytechnic.
Reply 3
My undergrad is from a absolute noname school (polytech btw) in business.
Bocconi is more than 20k....

Im currently leaning towards durham .. if you already have big 4 and bb experience the extra summer is not worth spending an extra year....?
Reply 4
durham over LSE, Bocconi, and St. Gallen?? Just doesn't sound right.
Reply 5
Peter J
My undergrad is from a absolute noname school (polytech btw) in business.
Bocconi is more than 20k....

Im currently leaning towards durham .. if you already have big 4 and bb experience the extra summer is not worth spending an extra year....?

Big 4 and BB internship from a polytech school? How did you get these internships?
Reply 6
I did two internships with small boutiques before in mid market M&A.. by polytechnique i mean German FH which should be the same.
Reply 7
Peter J

Durham seems okish but I cannot say whether the Durham Msc Finance is really better than the above mentioned course (especially if this one is tajeb in combination with CFA Lvl 1?)

thanks.

I don't believe Durham MScs are a patch on LSE/Bocconi's, and I think the CFA thing means they're CFA accredited (i.e., you'll cover 70% of the CFA L1 course during it). They're a LOT cheaper than other MScs though, and from what I've heard Durham Business School are investing a lot in becoming a top 10 school.
Reply 8
loggins
I don't believe Durham MScs are a patch on LSE/Bocconi's, and I think the CFA thing means they're CFA accredited (i.e., you'll cover 70% of the CFA L1 course during it). They're a LOT cheaper than other MScs though, and from what I've heard Durham Business School are investing a lot in becoming a top 10 school.

Every business school in the UK seem to be saying that. :p:

Msc Accounting, Organisation and Institutions is a new course. I don't think banks care what course you study. If you are going for IBD then pick whatever course you want..... If you are going for Trading then you want to stay Quant really.
Reply 9
prospectivEEconomist
Bocconi. The LSE brand name is not worth 20 k unless you studied at a polytechnic.

Well that's not true is it.
Durham? What are you thinking? LSE, Bocconi or St. Gallen are 100x better. I would pick St. Gallen because it's cheap. I would only pay LSE 20-25k if it were MSc Finance and Economics or MSc Finance.
Reply 11
Im thinking that St Gallen would take two years for which I would actuall have to be on site. Furthermore have to do extra business courses which sucks.

Bocconi is also two years.....

this therefore leaves me with durham. Nevertheless regarding all your comments I might have to overthink my decission.
Well if you're confident that regardless of Durham, and a no name undergrad on your CV, you will still get a good shot at top employment then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't really worry too much about one year. Choosing Durham has the potential to set u back years, maybe even permanently.
Not that I think Durham is bad school, but when you have St. Gallen, LSE, and Bocconi as alternatives, Durham pales in comparison.
Peter J
Im thinking that St Gallen would take two years for which I would actuall have to be on site.
Bocconi is also two years.....

Would you rather work 100 hours a week than spend an extra year in Switzerland or Italy while you are still young enough to be sexually free and have time to travel?!?
Reply 15
my girlfriends lives in London so I would love to study as little as possible and move there
Reply 16
Peter J
my girlfriends lives in London

LAD.
Reply 17
-s
Reply 18
back to original question..

assuming u have enough practical experience.. is msc accounting organisation and institations good enough just based on lse brand name?
Reply 19
Over the others listed? Most definitely!

You can customize that degree and study modules from the Finance/Economics department as well. If IBD is your game then no one really cares what you study, but just where you did it. You can still emphasize the finance side of that degree if you select the right modules. There are only 2-3 core modules and the rest is completely customizable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending