This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Halo is available on the PC.
It's quite possible there will be a single format console with all the developers contributing. The Gamecube does have slightly diferent games to other consoles but that's because they have Nintendo developing for them. If there was a single format it'd be feasible that nintendo were to be in on it and they'd produce the same games on a single-format. Anyway, only time will tell if a single format emerges, but looking at the games on the shelves of game shops and seeing the similarities - things seem to be heading that way.
Okay. Halo will always be a microsoft exclusive then.

But with the next consoles all in development, i doubt that convergence into a single console will happen.
What will possibly happen though, is what sony are planning. Converging entertainment devices such as the console, TV's, Digibox's etc. all in a single piece of hardware.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If tele-communications improve. I don't see why people just couldn't download games on to their TV, the Sega Game Gear was really the first console to introduce entertainment features as you could also get a TV tuner as well as play games on it. I agree that consoles are no longer there to play games and are becoming entertainment systems. I can't really see anything innovative about the PSX (the new playstation system). I'm not talking about convergence for next year, give it about 5-8 years and then see. A console only has a shelf life of about 3 years now.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
If tele-communications improve. I don't see why people just couldn't download games on to their TV, the Sega Game Gear was really the first console to introduce entertainment features as you could also get a TV tuner as well as play games on it. I agree that consoles are no longer there to play games and are becoming entertainment systems. I can't really see anything innovative about the PSX (the new playstation system). I'm not talking about convergence for next year, give it about 5-8 years and then see. A console only has a shelf life of about 3 years now.
Well yeah.
Have you heard of the Phantom? Thats exactly what that does.
Its a shame its not going to be big.

A console has a longer shelf life than that.
The PS1 is still on sale, and still shifting loads.
Just because there are newer consoles, the old ones don't become obsolete.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have heard of the Phantom.

A console does have a shelf life of about 3 years. This doesn't mean to say that people don't play it after 3 years or don't buy games second hand from stores. What i meant is that after about 3 years the manufacturer moves on to the next generation of consoles and slow down development for the other console they have out. How many games were there released on the PS1 last year? You could probably count it on one hand.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I have heard of the Phantom.

A console does have a shelf life of about 3 years. This doesn't mean to say that people don't play it after 3 years or don't buy games second hand from stores. What i meant is that after about 3 years the manufacturer moves on to the next generation of consoles and slow down development for the other console they have out. How many games were there released on the PS1 last year? You could probably count it on one hand.
There were quite a few games released on the PS1 last year, more than one hands worth, certainly.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I challenge you to name 6 of them then
I hate Sega though, they just completely ditched all the dreamcast owners and stopped producing games for it. It was such a good console and the graphics were as good as the PS2 if not better. Athough i have now found alternate places to acquire games
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I challenge you to name 6 of them then
I hate Sega though, they just completely ditched all the dreamcast owners and stopped producing games for it. It was such a good console and the graphics were as good as the PS2 if not better. Athough i have now found alternate places to acquire games
Fire Bugs (i think), Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden memories, ermm...
Dance stage party mix something or other?, Fifa 2004, NBA shootout 2004, NFL Gameday 2004, Madden NFL 2004...
Well thats at least six!!!
It was harder than i thought to be honest.
I'm sure there are some obvious one's i've forgotten.

It was a shame about the dreamcast, but it simply wasn't profitable enough.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Fire Bugs (i think), Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden memories, ermm...
Dance stage party mix something or other?, Fifa 2004, NBA shootout 2004, NFL Gameday 2004, Madden NFL 2004...
Well thats at least six!!!
It was harder than i thought to be honest.
I'm sure there are some obvious one's i've forgotten.

It was a shame about the dreamcast, but it simply wasn't profitable enough.
I might just check some of those. Did you have a Dreamcast?

You got Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories wrong, i checked on Amazon.

Release Date: 22 November, 2002
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You also got Firebugs wrong.
Release Date: 18 October, 2002
You still need 2 more (it's ok though you don't have to bother, i sort of proved my point that sony has ditched the PS1)
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I might just check some of those. Did you have a Dreamcast?
Well yeah. I'm not too sure about them either. But i havem't been keeping track of releases for PS1 games, so it was hard.
I'm sure there are alot more, and the next time i go into a game shop i'll take a look.

I got a dreamcast for a little while, which i managed to trade for one of my two original models of the PS1 (with all the connectors at the back for sound and stuff), which were just lying around.
But then i sold it off, to get some cash to buy PS2 games.
It was actually okay. Not as good as the PS2 in my opinion though, but Crazy Taxi was fun, i loved Phantasy Star online, and Shenmue was good as well.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
You also got Firebugs wrong.
Release Date: 18 October, 2002
You still need 2 more (it's ok though you don't have to bother, i sort of proved my point that sony has ditched the PS1)
Oh, okay.
I wasn't sure to be honest, but i remember reading an article for some reason that said it would be released this year.

There are alot of those budget games which were released last year, which i don't really have any knowledge of, but there were certainly at least a dozen of them.
Things like Westlife Fan-O-Mania, which although is barely a game, it was still released for the PS1.

Was Jinx released in 2003?
And the list already names 7 games firstly, although most were EA sports stuff, and I can't remember which Dance blah blah blah games were released this year.

Anyway, i do get your point.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So now we've finished that, do you think games are too expensive and un-original?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
So now we've finished that, do you think games are too expensive and un-original?
Well, they are pretty steep some of the time.
But most games struggle to get a large number of games sales, beyond the likes of Fifa, Smackdown etc, so they need to cover their costs.
I believe that games are too expensive, but only in the same way music CD's etc. are, because of the general higher prices in the UK.

Well there is still some originality about, but it is harder to think of new ideas when most things have already been done.
But does it matter?
Gran Turismo certainly isn't original, and neither is any other racing game (Project gotham Racer, Need for speed etc.)
Does that make them bad games?
How many first person shooters, beat em-ups etc. are there?
But still, when the latest Tekken, or whatever is released (Although i hated Tekken 4, its only an example, and i would prefer to use Soul Caliber 2 as an example, but its release wasn't as hyped), people buy them and enjoy them.
As long as a game is good, originality doesn't matter.
Half the games i own are probably sequals, and only one or two are original ideas, but i still play them and enjoy them.

Sorry, but this is my usual rant about originality in gaming.
But as long as a game is good, originality doesn't matter.
But of course, if a good game is original, thats good too!
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Project Gotham Racing 2 is a very good game, but by no means original. It's copied Metropolis Street Racer for the Kudos system and racing games have been aroung for over 15 years so it is nothing innovative. I just feel that there is only so many sequels a person can take and then after that games are just going to become very boring. If you go in to your local game shop take a look at the shelf and see how many original games there are - you'll struggle, they're all sequels. GTA:vice city, metal gear solid, FIFA, Need for speed, Medal of honour etc. How much longer can they continue to do this?
daz3000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i'm going to get a xbox 2 when they finally bring them out as they look better then xbox and ps2 put together and the ps3 is only an add on and costs the same as a game
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Project Gotham Racing 2 is a very good game, but by no means original. It's copied Metropolis Street Racer for the Kudos system and racing games have been aroung for over 15 years so it is nothing innovative. I just feel that there is only so many sequels a person can take and then after that games are just going to become very boring. If you go in to your local game shop take a look at the shelf and see how many original games there are - you'll struggle, they're all sequels. GTA:vice city, metal gear solid, FIFA, Need for speed, Medal of honour etc. How much longer can they continue to do this?
Well yeah, sequels which offer nothing new, or don't do things better than current games, shouldn't waste time being made.
There are quite a few 'new' games (not sequals), but most of these are along the same themes.
And people do get bored of sequals.
But i've loved every Final Fantasy I've played, which is pretty much all of them, because although they are the same sort of thing, the way they do it is always new and interesting, the storylines are always classics, and they are some of the best games ever made.
But i especially hate EA. Because each year they do hardly anything to Fifa, exept change the players, and introduce one or two 'innovations' (meaning, pointless and copied from other games in the genre).
The only Fifa i own is RTWC 98. I rented out 2004, and there was little difference between them, in the actual playability.
GTA has a large fan base, and the new games are always welcomed, although i seem to have an unexplainable dislike of them.
But they will keep being made while people keep buying them, and while people buy the same old games, the gaming industry no longer needs innovative ideas.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads