This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Kilroy has just gotten into trouble about a piece he wrote in the Sunday Express (would be the express). It's quite interesting to read, kind of like a literate version of my Grandad...

Mr Kilroy-Silk's piece started: "We are told by some of the more hysterical critics of the war on terror that 'it is destroying the Arab world'. So? Should we be worried about that?"

Mr Kilroy-Silk went on to say that the toppling of despotic regimes in the Middle East should be a war aim, and questioned the contribution of the Arab nations to world welfare and civilisation.

"Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful?... No, nor can I...

"We're told the the Arabs loathe us. Really?... What do they think we feel about them? That we adore them for the way they murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September and then danced in the hot, dusty streets to celebrate the murders?"

He said Arab nations should be grateful for the aid and technology the West had provided.

"They should go down on their kness and thank God for the munificence of the United States."
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds like he has got something against the Arabs. Who knows maybe his best friend was killed in the WTC.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
He is a complete and utter prat.
xAngelx
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Kilroy has just gotten into trouble about a piece he wrote in the Sunday Express (would be the express). It's quite interesting to read, kind of like a literate version of my Grandad...

Mr Kilroy-Silk's piece started: "We are told by some of the more hysterical critics of the war on terror that 'it is destroying the Arab world'. So? Should we be worried about that?"

Mr Kilroy-Silk went on to say that the toppling of despotic regimes in the Middle East should be a war aim, and questioned the contribution of the Arab nations to world welfare and civilisation.

"Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful?... No, nor can I...

"We're told the the Arabs loathe us. Really?... What do they think we feel about them? That we adore them for the way they murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September and then danced in the hot, dusty streets to celebrate the murders?"

He said Arab nations should be grateful for the aid and technology the West had provided.

"They should go down on their kness and thank God for the munificence of the United States."

he has got a point about them all celebrating September 11th did you see them on the news it made me sick that human beings could celebrate the death of thousands, it shows they dont care for the world out there that would like to help, in away we do we bring them into our country and give them things free. i'm not racist if you think iam but i ashume they are, and people who protested about the war when bush came here were sick individuals as it was just a day after a terrorist attack, and these protesters where protecting them
Jamie
(Original post by Bigcnee)
He is a complete and utter prat.
I just figure you could apply his logic to 95% of the world population.
In the end the question arises, do we need chat show hosts? How does that really benefit world welfare as a whole? Except by telling some Chav whether his Dad is legitamte, or if his mum slept around a bit
J
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xAngelx)
he has got a point about them all celebrating September 11th
I think this is a problem with people.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just figure you could apply his logic to 95% of the world population.
In the end the question arises, do we need chat show hosts? How does that really benefit world welfare as a whole? Except by telling some Chav whether his Dad is legitamte, or if his mum slept around a bit
J
The world could do with less chat-show hosts, and particularly, less Kilroy.
Jamie
he has got a point about them all celebrating September 11th did you see them on the news it made me sick that human beings could celebrate the death of thousands, it shows they dont care for the world out there that would like to help, in away we do we bring them into our country and give them things free. i'm not racist if you think iam but i ashume they are, and people who protested about the war when bush came here were sick individuals as it was just a day after a terrorist attack, and these protesters where protecting them
To tell the truth when i first heard about the attacks I thought it was great. That was of course because i had made a few assumptions. Firstly that they had been empty at the time, and secondly that it was light aircraft packed with explosives that had rammed them (anyone ever seen Seven Days?). Then of course you hear the proper story and see it on TV and are sickened.
But really, if you were on the brink of starvation, eeeking out an existence, how would you react to the knowledge that 3000 rich business men (i know that cleaners, and secretaries etc also died) had been killed in America?
J
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To tell the truth when i first heard about the attacks I thought it was great. That was of course because i had made a few assumptions. Firstly that they had been empty at the time, and secondly that it was light aircraft packed with explosives that had rammed them (anyone ever seen Seven Days?). Then of course you hear the proper story and see it on TV and are sickened.
But really, if you were on the brink of starvation, eeeking out an existence, how would you react to the knowledge that 3000 rich business men (i know that cleaners, and secretaries etc also died) had been killed in America?
J
i would be sad anyway, those people werent all rich people. some were janitors, some were waitresses. and everyone has had a mother.... most mothers i think would know how to sympathize with people who had just lost their husbands, wives, and children. they never showed the people dancing footage in america, they were to busy showing us the towers.....

when my art teacher heard, she started to cry.
xAngelx
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
J
thats sick to say that cos they are rich business people it doesn't matter, it was a tourist attraction full of normal people like me and you from around the world, if i dont like someone doesn't mean i'll celebrate, cos that person may have left loved ones behind, and when i saw it on tv i was shocked to hell that some people would do that they wouldn't care if their own kids died, if the building is empty its still an upset that people are capable of doing this type of stuff
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)

when my art teacher heard, she started to cry.
Would she cry if there was a terrorist atrocity of equal destruction in the Middle East? I doubt it...

This shows the level equality we give to people.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
J
I read a story about this kind of attack in a adventure novel just about a week back before the attack, it was an empty plane 747, and it was rammed into the whitehouse. I believe it was written by Tom Clancy, and I thought how freaky was that.
Jamie
(Original post by 2776)
I read a story about this kind of attack in a adventure novel just about a week back before the attack, it was an empty plane 747, and it was rammed into the whitehouse. I believe it was written by Tom Clancy, and I thought how freaky was that.
The episode of seven days a week before it happened (i think it was the first episode) the guy had to go back in time (ironically seven days...) to stop terrorist piloting a light aircraft packed with explosives into the white house. OR maybe it had a dirty bomb on as well.
was freaky though i have to say
J
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Would she cry if there was a terrorist atrocity of equal destruction in the Middle East? I doubt it...

This shows the level equality we give to people.
yes, she would have.......i was merely pointing out the contrast. schools saying over the loud speakers about 9/11 with solemn voices, and crying teachers.....children going home because their parents were afraid. and across the world, people were dancing. i wouldnt dance if we killed civilians even if they were our sworn enemies.
Jamie
thats sick to say that cos they are rich business people it doesn't matter, it was a tourist attraction full of normal people like me and you from around the world, if i dont like someone doesn't mean i'll celebrate, cos that person may have left loved ones behind, and when i saw it on tv i was shocked to hell that some people would do that they wouldn't care if their own kids died, if the building is empty its still an upset that people are capable of doing this type of stuff
You're talking rubbish. It was hardly full of tourists. For one it happened quite early, and for two the WTC was a business place. It had a touristy bit too, but 95%+ in there would have been office workers.
And they may be normal to me and you, but they're not normal to the people in other places like Africa, middle east, rural china, haiti etc.
I think an analagy would be how would you feel if you found out that 30 of the people in 'Young, Posh and Loaded' had died in a bus crash. I certainly wouldnt lose sleep over it
J
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Well, may i ask what contribution Mr Kilroy made to society, apart from this uninformed, and totally racist piece of... well, i wouldn't like to say what its a piece of, but i think you all get the point!
How can this sort of thing be published?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes, she would have.......i
This remains a point of dispute.

I guess it is different for you, because you live in America and it happened to your country.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well, may i ask what contribution Mr Kilroy made to society, apart from this uninformed, and totally racist piece of... well, i wouldn't like to say what its a piece of, but i think you all get the point!
Free speech: the thorn of modern democracy.
Jamie
yes, she would have.......i was merely pointing out the contrast. schools saying over the loud speakers about 9/11 with solemn voices, and crying teachers.....children going home because their parents were afraid. and across the world, people were dancing. i wouldnt dance if we killed civilians even if they were our sworn enemies.
It's unsurprising that people got upset. It was the first time that someone had reached out and touched Americans where they don't like it - at home. I'm not saying that it would have been any different if it had happened here, or in france, japan etc, but we are certainly more used to terrorist attacks than America.
The reverse goes for gun attacks in school. What wouldn't make US news makes all the headlines here
J
Jamie
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I did say it was the Sunday Express didn't I...
It's hardly out of character for the newspaper
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads