This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
i think you seriously have to do some thinking..

the BNP have a right to be heard, were the public to vote for them then they would be awarded power. this is not the case. the whole idea of democracy is that of 'power by the people'. there is a clear distinction between allowing them a voice and them making up government. a distinction that even the most basic of politic students should grasp..

from your assumption that my belief that the BNP has a right to be heard equates to a desire to support their policies, i can only say you have yet to grasp this concept..
The fact that everyone has a right to be heard is not something only the 'basic' politics students should grasp. It is common sense and the foundation of democracy. By hearing them, it doesn't mean people are going to support them.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
You can't seem to grasp the concept that my impression is based on more than one thread. :rolleyes:
that surely weakens it...
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that surely weakens it...
Yeah....

I don't see how my concern of the BNP getting power equates to me not believing in freedom of speech. Another concept you are failing to grasp.

Maybe I've struck a chord by criticising your preferred party.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah....

I don't see how my concern of the BNP getting power equates to me not believing in freedom of speech. Another concept you are failing to grasp.

Maybe I've struck a chord by criticising your preferred party.
perhaps you have a short memory...

"in theory/practice the BNP does have a right to be heard, whether you like it or not."

to which you reply,

"How reassuring, I look forward to the Nazi party mach II coming into power. "
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
perhaps you have a short memory...

"in theory/practice the BNP does have a right to be heard, whether you like it or not."

to which you reply,

"How reassuring, I look forward to the Nazi party mach II coming into power. "
Thank you for proving my point.

Where exactly did I write that they don't have a right to be heard.
I was just conveying disgust of their policies.
Anyone who has seen the documentary on them will realise that they can't be taken seriously. A bunch a racist bigots pretending to be a real party. Quite tragic really.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thank you for proving my point.

Where exactly did I write that they don't have a right to be heard.
I was just conveying disgust of their policies.
haha, youve learnt alot from me i can see...
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
haha, youve learnt alot from me i can see...
Don't flatter yourself.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't flatter yourself.
hmm,touchy. your volte-face post-criticism and then an absurdly amusing suggestion of my party preferences would explain that..
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
alot
Shocking stuff...
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmm,touchy. your volte-face post-criticism and then an absurdly amusing suggestion of my party preferences would explain that..
Your desire to be my mentor is quite harrowing.

Volte-face?
Your non-pressing of this point surely means you've accepted your mistake.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Your desire to be my mentor is quite harrowing.

Volte-face?
Your non-pressing of this point surely means you've accepted your mistake.
there never was one....
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
hahahahahaaha.....it wasnt sunnis vs shias i think you'll find saddam persecuted both ....shias in the south and sunni kurds in the north....anyone who did anything to threaten his position regardless of their sect or religion
hehe to you to, he persecuted the sunnis becasue they were kurds, but all the members of the ruling Baath party (or a huge majority) were the minority sunnis. So he did benefit his religious group more (although he was a secular leader). He couldn't have become too religious or the ayatollahs in Iran would have got him kicked out.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
oh so democracy allows the likes of the BNP to go round causing racial hatred, encouraging racial violence???????!!!!!...(remember the race riot of oldham etc.......) i think not democracy is about freedom but also about fairness and equality...why should we allow a party to persecute ethnic minorities?!
democracy is not about equality in any way shape or form (except in front of the law), which is why they can say what they like. You are then persecuting a minority if you want to shut the BNP up.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
The fact that everyone has a right to be heard is not something only the 'basic' politics students should grasp. It is common sense and the foundation of democracy. By hearing them, it doesn't mean people are going to support them.
in fact they will probably lose support as everyone will realise what racist, bigoted thugs they are.
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i think we shud kill-roy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ps. sorry if my AMAZING joke has already been posted
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
i think we shud kill-roy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ps. sorry if my AMAZING joke has already been posted
jokes
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
You are then persecuting a minority if you want to shut the BNP up.
Who, in turn, persecute minorities.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Correct.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but by protecting minorities you are protecting their rights of free speech and freedom of opinion by restricting that of others. Both groups are allowed to believe what they want.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
but by protecting minorities you are protecting their rights of free speech and freedom of opinion by restricting that of others. Both groups are allowed to believe what they want.
Surely in this model democracy you hold so dear, everyone should have total freedom of speech.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads