This discussion is closed.
lala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
my 1,700 post yey,
maybe he has not had the same education some people on this forum had, remember he went to a secondary modern. and he did visit arab countries - maybe that was the impression he got - he could know far better than us. Have you ever been to an arab country?
He also said today "If i am not allowed to say that there are Arab states that are evil, despotic and treat women abominably, if i am not allowed to say that, which i know to be a fact, then what can i say?"
What particularly worried me was the incredible ignorance of a man who appears to be labouring under the delusion that nothing useful has ever come out of the Arab world. I'm genuinely disturbed that someone as badly informed as that once served in our Parliament.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
my 1,700 post yey,

maybe he has not had the same education some people on this forum had, remember he went to a secondary modern. and he did visit arab countries - maybe that was the impression he got - he could know far better than us. Have you ever been to an arab country?

He also said today "If i am not allowed to say that there are Arab states that are evil, despotic and treat women abominably, if i am not allowed to say that, which i know to be a fact, then what can i say?"
its a completely pointless thing to say since every country has its faults you only have to look at guantanimo bay for the US's faults. so pointing out that is a waste of time. admittadly he can say what he wants but if he going to say pointless things like that i dont want my parents liscense fee going towards his salary.

i have been to an arab country actually. if the only place tourist came to see when they visited england was a run down council estate on the outskirts of london where drug dealing was riff and then you went come to your own country and wrote how scummy england was then i would be pretty annoyed.

Its fine for him to go to a secoundary modern, one of our economics teachers did the same, however in the position now he has no excuses for being ignorant
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
he actually called all arabs “suicide bombers, limb-amputators, women repressors”.
no he didnt. thats the point. *shakes head*
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
my problem is that kilroy did not criticize arab states or their leaders had he done so i would not have a problem...he accused the whole arab race and all arab people and that is the difference.
so how does his reference to 'arab states' fit the latter and not the former?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Since the majority of the people on this thread evidently disagree with you (I think we can assume that most of the participants in the vote are Western since the majority of members are) then pedantic my comment certainly was not. More like pointing out that the entire basis for your comment is incorrect.
Generalisations are often not a wise road to go down Vienna, and if this thread is anything to go by then the foundations for your assertion that Westerners take a certain view on the issue is beginning to look a little shaky. I hope for better of you, both in terms of response (that wasn't one of your best) and in argument. Don't let your army of fans down now will you dear? *tuts*
as i said, pedantic.

hehe, why the edit?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Putting aside politics - I don't think they are relevant when we are talking about the innate character of a person.
I have often watched this person on his morning programme and noticed his arrogance to everybody who he considers (erroneously) not equal to himself. This will be evident in his exchanges with blacks, muslims, immigrants, single mothers, benefit claimants, catholics (in particular, he is very vitriolic to them) other politicians - he will be sarcastic, denigrating, superior, mocking and then, if challenged, will change tack and be lighthearted (sometimes hugging (women) and slapping men on the back in a display of false comraderie.
An insidious, iniquitous, slimy, smarmy and untrustworthy person!
Let's hope he does not get away with it and loses his livelihood as a tv presenter which he does not deserve.
(As an extra bit of information, he was castigated in the 90's for racist remarks towards the Irish - a leopard does not change his spots!)
See following reply
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
What particularly worried me was the incredible ignorance of a man who appears to be labouring under the delusion that nothing useful has ever come out of the Arab world. I'm genuinely disturbed that someone as badly informed as that once served in our Parliament.
he said they PRODUCE nothing except for oil - can none of you even get your own argument right
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
i have, fortunately, not had the good fortune to spend all my mid-mornings in bed watching Kilroy. being employed and paying taxes forbids me such pleasures. however, on the odd occasion that I have seen the program, he comes across and even at times, painfully,as having compassion for the underdog in the topic of discussion. be it single mothers on benefit, pensioners let down by the police.

as much as im not a fan of his manner, your absurd tirade against one mans career based on what you dislike in his appearance is just another example of the sensationalist british public and their whims with kangaroo court media.
If there is one thing that intensely annoys me is people who think they know the minds of others :mad:
Bear in mind Vienna that not all people have the same like-style as your own. Some people work shifts, or nights or are chronically ill so are subjected to the narrow-mindedness of the ilk of Kilroy.
How can you judge that my opinion is an absurd tirade - very condescending of you, and arrogant - in fact, much like your mentor, Kilroy!
My opinion of him is absolutely personal, it does not depend on 'sensationalist British public' nor 'whims'. I am for the underdog - regardless of their colour, creed or political persuasion. He is not - as demonstrated by the points I have raised earlier.
An example of the ugly character traits he has displayed:-
Initially, his reaction to the furore surrounding his "tirade" was one of submissive apology - once he saw he had some support from his 'disciples' he goes on the attack. How genuine was his initial remorse then? Not genuine at all, methinks.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
If there is one thing that intensely annoys me is people who think they know the minds of others :mad:
Bear in mind Vienna that not all people have the same like-style as your own. Some people work shifts, or nights or are chronically ill so are subjected to the narrow-mindedness of the ilk of Kilroy.
How can you judge that my opinion is an absurd tirade - very condescending of you, and arrogant - in fact, much like your mentor, Kilroy!
My opinion of him is absolutely personal, it does not depend on 'sensationalist British public' nor 'whims'. I am for the underdog - regardless of their colour, creed or political persuasion. He is not - as demonstrated by the points I have raised earlier.
An example of the ugly character traits he has displayed:-
Initially, his reaction to the furore surrounding his "tirade" was one of submissive apology - once he saw he had some support from his 'disciples' he goes on the attack. How genuine was his initial remorse then? Not genuine at all, methinks.
i too am always for the underdog, in this case he is the underdog, he has been attacked for saying something that he has the right to say because people did not think it was accurate and many of these people have not even read the original and are just posting on hearsay.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
i too am always for the underdog, in this case he is the underdog, he has been attacked for saying something that he has the right to say because people did not think it was accurate and many of these people have not even read the original and are just posting on hearsay.
Look - I have watched his programme often - I do not post my opinions on hearsay, my opinion is based on what comes from the horses mouth - his!
You could hardly describe Kilroy as 'an underdog'. He has not disadvantage in society, unlike those he occasionally mocks. If you get the opportunity to watch any reruns of his programmes watch the way he whips up his studio audience to join him in his put-downs to those he dislikes. Observe human nature at it's more beastly - it is not a pretty sight.
He retains very tight control of the programme and tells people in no uncertain terms to keep quiet if he doesn't want to hear what they have to say. He continually talks over them - the man is an ignoramous imho.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Look - I have watched his programme often - I do not post my opinions on hearsay, my opinion is based on what comes from the horses mouth - his!
You could hardly describe Kilroy as 'an underdog'. He has not disadvantage in society, unlike those he occasionally mocks. If you get the opportunity to watch any reruns of his programmes watch the way he whips up his studio audience to join him in his put-downs to those he dislikes. Observe human nature at it's more beastly - it is not a pretty sight.
He retains very tight control of the programme and tells people in no uncertain terms to keep quiet if he doesn't want to hear what they have to say. He continually talks over them - the man is an ignoramous imho.
i watcehd his programmes and did not see that, i never saw him act vitriolicly to another participant. hearsay on what he wrote.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
he said they PRODUCE nothing except for oil - can none of you even get your own argument right
"Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful?... No, nor can I...

:rolleyes:
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
"Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful?... No, nor can I...

:rolleyes:
well can you?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well can you?
Well the numerical system has certainly come in handy from time to time.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
i watcehd his programmes and did not see that, i never saw him act vitriolicly to another participant. hearsay on what he wrote.
Sometimes the average person will not notice nuances of language or behaviour, they just get carried away with the subject matter instead of watching the 'detail' of how it is dealt with. Not putting you down mate or anything, just the way it is.
I will repeat that my opinions on Kilroy are what I have actually seen of him and reading what he has written..
Believe me, his prejudices are not confined to Arabs, in fact they seem to know no bounds. He doesn't even like a lot of his own countrymen!
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Well the numerical system has certainly come in handy from time to time.
well CURRENTLY was the point . i will not dispute what they have done in the past, but he was on about current events.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)

Well, that statement alone requires at least acknowledgement on his part, for its ignorance.

In many spheres, the Arab world has positively contributed to our civilisation. In 1100AD, when Christian Europe finally began to show an interest in the discoveries of its "Saracen" enemies: Arab Science and Philosophy were at their apogee! Moreover, in the West,the 'greatness' of the Greeks/Romans in terms of its heritage in science and art, is generally accepted even perhaps exaggerated. It appears that only among academics, are their true contributions really appreciated.

In Art and Architecture, the arab world has out done itself, you only have to scan the internet to see examples of this. In Medicine, it seems that the Arabs truly pioneering in this sphere, only hundreds of years later did the West catch on.

I could go on for ages, but am doing many things at once, so the above will have to suffice!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
As I said, what you said was inaccurate.
I forgot one of the stars on *tuts* and then decided to paragraph it all too. In for a penny, in for a pound. I quite often make typing errors so if I notice I usually correct them, it just makes it easier to read.
i was inaccurate in giving my opinion on the context of Kilroys piece?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Well, that statement alone requires at least acknowledgement on his part, for its ignorance.

In many spheres, the Arab world has positively contributed to our civilisation. In 1100AD, when Christian Europe finally began to show an interest in the discoveries of its "Saracen" enemies: Arab Science and Philosophy were at their apogee! Moreover, in the West,the 'greatness' of the Greeks/Romans in terms of its heritage in science and art, is generally accepted even perhaps exaggerated. It appears that only among academics, are their true contributions really appreciated.

In Art and Architecture, the arab world has out done itself, you only have to scan the internet to see examples of this. In Medicine, it seems that the Arabs truly pioneering in this sphere, only hundreds of years later did the West catch on.

I could go on for ages, but am doing many things at once, so the above will have to suffice!
bloody hell, CURRENTLY
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In other words, many things which are around today...are a consequence of the Arab World.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads