This discussion is closed.
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Well the numerical system has certainly come in handy from time to time.
hehe and many of the great scientific discoveries!

A variety of mechanical clocks were produced by
Arab- Spanish Muslim engineers

The Arabs constructed a variety of highly accurate astronomical clocks for use in their observatories.

The pendulum was discovered by Ibn Yunus al-Masri during the 10th century, who was the first to study and document its oscillatory motion.

To name a few!
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well CURRENTLY was the point . i will not dispute what they have done in the past, but he was on about current events.
look even if the arabs had never or are not contributing anything (which is untrue) does that make them any less human??? what right has kilroy got to go around condemning an entire race of humans!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
hehe and many of the great scientific discoveries!

A variety of mechanical clocks were produced by
Arab- Spanish Muslim engineers

The Arabs constructed a variety of highly accurate astronomical clocks for use in their observatories.

The pendulum was discovered by Ibn Yunus al-Masri during the 10th century, who was the first to study and document its oscillatory motion.

To name a few!
Hi Tina - i am sure u have then heard that the Arabs were not the originators of Mathematics but it was the Vedic civilisations of India which created maths and indeed the number 0 without which much of what we have today would not have been possible
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
look even if the arabs had never or are not contributing anything (which is untrue) does that make them any less human??? what right has kilroy got to go around condemning an entire race of humans!
The contention is that the governments of countries in Arabia are somewhat backward but the race of Arabs are not to be condemned under such conditions. Indeed those that have immigrated to USA, GB and France have made notable and valuable contributions to science and culture in a freer society where conditions were more conducive
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Hi Tina - i am sure u have then heard that the Arabs were not the originators of Mathematics but it was the Vedic civilisations of India which created maths and indeed the number 0 without which much of what we have today would not have been possible
really?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
really?
yeah man
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah man
Dandy then.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry, but I can't take the double standards being employed by Vienna here.

If someone was to post giving somewhat vague and incoherent views as byb3 did, Vienna would jump on them ruthlessly and tear their post apart if their views were not compatible with hers.

I've seen phrases like; 'why do you bother posting', 'don't waste your time' and 'what absolute nonsense' being used to undermine people. She even plays dumb occasionally and says she doesn't understand what they're getting at.
However, when the person is expressing her views, she magically changes her opinion of them, congratulating them on their nonsense post and impyling that the mess that was their post, 'she understands fully'.

Some may say this is human nature, but what it really is; is deplorable and hypocritical standards.
yes and vienna is completely patrnoising.....she talks about free speech but then says to people who dont agree with her dont bother posting and tries to make their view look stupid
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im no expert on maths and its prob true what u said abt the number 0 but i do know that most of our numerals today came from arabic!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
im no expert on maths and its prob true what u said abt the number 0 but i do know that most of our numerals today came from arabic!
My learned friend - the arabs took the knowledge from India through the trade routes (Spice-Silk trails)
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The contention is that the governments of countries in Arabia are somewhat backward but the race of Arabs are not to be condemned under such conditions. Indeed those that have immigrated to USA, GB and France have made notable and valuable contributions to science and culture in a freer society where conditions were more conducive
the problem is kilroy did not make it clear he was criticizing arab GOVERNMENTS he directed his claims to the whole arab race. no one is saying that the arab STATES should not be criticized...it was also the abusive and patronising manner which kilroy used which cause offence.

i dont agree with the policies of the majority of arab states.....especially not saudi arabia....going off the subject but just to point out the USA talks about rights and freedoms...yet it fully supports saudi arabia?! hypocrisy?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My learned friend - the arabs took the knowledge from India through the trade routes (Spice-Silk trails)
Who, in turn, took it from the Chinese and their clever bamboo shoots method.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
as i said im not fully researched in this so i couldnt give an opinion without further research but im sure you will nto deny that whether arabs invented numbers or not they did make great contributions in the fields of maths, science, art and literature.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
by the way this debate has gotten long!
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
complete tripe, but even so, his opinion wasnt vague at all, it was rather clear. i knew what he thought...
Which does you credit rather than him. The fact that you are able to understand it doesnt mean it wasnt vague. I wouldnt have expected him to provide any evidence for his assertions for obvious reasons, but bigcnee was correct.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Who, in turn, took it from the Chinese and their clever bamboo shoots method.
Pure fabrication - the vedic civilisation is the oldest recorded in the world - origins of Hinduism which also the oldest religion
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pure fabrication - the vedic civilisation is the oldest recorded in the world - origins of Hinduism which also the oldest religion
It's easy to say it, but do you have any evidence of this fabrication?
I think not.

The vedic civilisation were i the earliest Indian civilisation (recorded).
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's easy to say it, but do you have any evidence of this fabrication?
I think not.

The vedic civilisation were i the earliest Indian civilisation (recorded).
Ok the earliest recorded civ to use maths and astronomy ergo the origins of astrology
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok the earliest recorded civ to use maths and astronomy ergo the origins of astrology
Tell me bigcnee what are u doing currently (off the subject I know)
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They may hae been the first to record their findings, but it has been found that the Chinese had a method earlier than them (using bamboo shoots).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads