This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
They may hae been the first to record their findings, but it has been found that the Chinese had a method earlier than them (using bamboo shoots).
Do u have certifiable evidence for this?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Do u have certifiable evidence for this?

'Tis always amusing to compare the 'development' of a discussion with the original title/purpose!
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Only what I have read, my friend

Which, I'm sure, is the case for you.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
'Tis always amusing to compare the 'development' of a discussion with the original title/purpose!
Indeed - it always becomes more heated on the most trivial stuff
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Only what I have read, my friend

Which, I'm sure, is the case for you.
ur right - fair do
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ur right - fair do
I accept it could later be disproved.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I accept it could later be disproved.
yeah - everything gets disproved soon enough
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am off to pick up my sisters from school - so i'll chat to u guys later?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am off to pick up my sisters from school - so i'll chat to u guys later?
Bis bald.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Shall we get back to issue at hand?

Whatever your views on the trivialities of this topic, I think there is little to dispute about the erroneous nature of Kilroy’s article. As JSM, does not fail to remind us, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But, in my view, as soon as that opinion becomes ‘public’, in this case when an article is written in a daily paper. The writer becomes accountable. Why? Because the newspaper, though full of political motivations, should to an extent contain factual information and is accountable like any other media mouthpiece. Kilroy had a public responsibility, and he was well aware of it. But his aggressive ramblings, which could have incited individuals to act negatively towards arabs. Not because it contained some enlightening information, but because it loosely accused, for example, that thousands of asylum seeks from Arab countries were “living happily” in the UK on social security! Which in itself demonstrates a lack of understanding, but alongside such things as, confusing Arabs with Iranians, I think his writing integrity can greatly been questioned.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well said!
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Well said!
Thanks.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Everyone always disappears when i make my lil point
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Everyone always disappears when i make my lil point
Awww.... I'm here!!!
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
BIGCNEE: "What era? Finishing?"

The Arabs haven't contributed much to the welfare of the world for many years now. Their time of greatness has been and gone.

BIGCNEE: "Ok. But I still don't know what you're talking about."

So you think that Iraq has a good human rights record? Or any Arab country for that matter.

BIGCNEE: "It offends more than just Muslims."

Our flag represents Britain, and we should be allowed to show it whenever we wish. Talk about being unpatriotic.

BIGCNEE: "If an arab criticised English people in the press, the reaction would be more severe."

They do it everyday. Al-Jazeera critcises us all the time.

BIGCNEE: "Sensationalist and pathetic."

But true.

I would just like to add I don't support the BNP in any shape or form. But I can sympathise why people look to them as a way out of this political quagmire we call asylum seekers.

Adam
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"The Arabs haven't contributed much to the welfare of the world for many years now. Their time of greatness has been and gone."

How in any shape or form, is this relevant? They are human beings.

"So you think that Iraq has a good human rights record? Or any Arab country for that matter."

Your point came from nowhere, hence I didn't understand it. I'll agree that the Arab states have poor human rights records, but that is not what the debate is about. We are talking about normal Arab people.

"Our flag represents Britain, and we should be allowed to show it whenever we wish. Talk about being unpatriotic."

a) I am Irish. Don't be presumptious
b) Whether you like it or not, the British flag symbolises oppression for many different peoples.

"They do it everyday. Al-Jazeera critcises us all the time."

I'm not too sure about this statement because I'm not a big fan, but I would say that Al-Jazeera broadcasts news that Western Media wouldn't touch with a barge pole (or wouldn't be allowed to touch), hence their controversial image.

"But true.

I would just like to add I don't support the BNP in any shape or form. But I can sympathise why people look to them as a way out of this political quagmire we call asylum seekers."

People turn to the BNP through bad media and ignornance (add a touch of disillusionment).
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Which does you credit rather than him. The fact that you are able to understand it doesnt mean it wasnt vague. I wouldnt have expected him to provide any evidence for his assertions for obvious reasons, but bigcnee was correct.
a 'vague opinion' is one that surely does not assert the feelings of the poster. i find it hard to believe anyone could not see how adam(byb) felt about this issue. couldnt you?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Shall we get back to issue at hand?

Whatever your views on the trivialities of this topic, I think there is little to dispute about the erroneous nature of Kilroy’s article. As JSM, does not fail to remind us, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But, in my view, as soon as that opinion becomes ‘public’, in this case when an article is written in a daily paper. The writer becomes accountable. Why? Because the newspaper, though full of political motivations, should to an extent contain factual information and is accountable like any other media mouthpiece. Kilroy had a public responsibility, and he was well aware of it. But his aggressive ramblings, which could have incited individuals to act negatively towards arabs. Not because it contained some enlightening information, but because it loosely accused, for example, that thousands of asylum seeks from Arab countries were “living happily” in the UK on social security! Which in itself demonstrates a lack of understanding, but alongside such things as, confusing Arabs with Iranians, I think his writing integrity can greatly been questioned.
I am back friends - aliel another very well thought out point - any racial hatred generated now has its humble roots in every discontented word written in that pointless conjecture filled article endorsed by a gutter-press type newspaper. Dont ever be blind to the agenda behind every article u read no matter how innocent (not referring to this one of course!)
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
yes he did..read the article
which ones this,theres another one?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
a 'vague opinion' is one that surely does not assert the feelings of the poster. i find it hard to believe anyone could not see how adam(byb) felt about this issue. couldnt you?
No.

A vague opinion could also be one, which doesn't assert well the reasons behind ones opinions.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads