no probs
now i have to log off for about 10 mins while someone uses the phone
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
wow someone has written sense in the last few mins after such a long wait - Vienna appears to be either confused or terribly intolerant of Arabs
sorry, if you could explain how you came to that conclusion...?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I've conceded this. What more do you want?
I still retain that "the reasoning beh..blah..blah" is vague.
a retraction of this.

"Like I said, you play dumb when trying to make the poster look stupid.
When the most incoherent of posters come, (providing they share your view) you congratulate them."
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
im sorry, i dont believe that is a quote from his article...where does he acuse all arabs as being terrorists or women oppressors?

"We owe Arabs nothing. Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the west - what do they contribute?

Can you think of anything? Anything really useful? Anything really valuable? Something we really need, could not do without? No, nor can I."

He also referred to Arabs as being "suicide bombers, limb amputators,
women repressors" (Re: Many newspaper articles, I can't find a direct quote)
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a retraction of this.

When the most incoherent of posters come, (providing they share your view) you congratulate them."
No. I stand by the truth.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry, if you could explain how you came to that conclusion...?
My dear there are two or three conclusions in my last post - which one would u like me to explain
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a retraction of this.

You know he has a point therefore there is no need for a retraction but a requirement by you to simply take it on your chin and stop complaining about it!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"We owe Arabs nothing. Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the west - what do they contribute?
it is evidently wrong to say the Arab world has contributed nothing to mankind, but as Kilroy pointed out, this comment was made in regard to post-colonial history when the Arab world had been effected by the colonial powers and the resulting international bodies. he admits this was a factual error, although there is an element of truth there.

Can you think of anything? Anything really useful? Anything really valuable? Something we really need, could not do without? No, nor can I."
neither can I. the output of the Middle East is pitiful and sustained only by its ties to the West. whether you agree or not, its certainly not abusive or even racist. he was raising a questions that would illustrate his opinion.

He also referred to Arabs as being "suicide bombers, limb amputators,
women repressors" (Re: Many newspaper articles, I can't find a direct quote)
NO, he said. "despotic and barbarous ARAB STATES populated by" "suicide bombers...etc"
how can you tell me that despotic ARAB states do not oppress women or amputate limbs or even provide a haven for Al-Qaeda operatives....
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You know he has a point therefore there is no need for a retraction but a requirement by you to simply take it on your chin and stop complaining about it!
he hasnt got a point as he conceded that i was right. and this is between me and him, not some jumped up busy body.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My dear there are two or three conclusions in my last post - which one would u like me to explain
take your pick.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he hasnt got a point as he conceded that i was right. and this is between me and him, not some jumped up busy body.
I have got a point as my opinion is based on more than just one thread.
(I will reply to the other post later, as I'm going to eat now).
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have got a point as my opinion is based on more than just one thread.
(I will reply to the other post later, as I'm going to eat now).
why didnt you say that before you conceded i was right? youve changed your mind three times now..
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he admits this was a factual error, although there is an element of truth there.
How can there be truth in this statement - what do u mean specifically -culturally? commercially? militarily? Ur point falls down because you simply do not make an attempt to direct ur points but it seems it is more an immaterial unsubstantiated statement than one which is well-backed and well-informed (much like ur own position in this forum)

neither can I. the output of the Middle East is pitiful and sustained only by its ties to the West. whether you agree or not, its certainly not abusive or even racist. he was raising a questions that would illustrate his opinion.
It might not be abusive or racist on the surface but arabs around the world will still view this as an attack on the culture they have lived by or have come to love - no matter how abhorrent to the West

NO, he said. "despotic and barbarous ARAB STATES populated by" "suicide bombers...etc"
how can you tell me that despotic ARAB states do not oppress women or amputate limbs or even provide a haven for Al-Qaeda operatives....
Then why does the West continue to back these despotic rulers and even bring themselves to associate with such abhorrent regimes - the fault lies squarely at the feet of countries like the USA which encourage such behaviour. If we had repudiated them because of their culture and regime then maybe pressure would have forced them to change
U are very confused Vienna
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dont get too abusive Vienna - the proof is in the reading. You are a beligerent poster who doesnt seem to listen to reasoned argument but would instead prefer to follow ur own line of thought - debate or discussion is achieved through listening (or in this case reading) to other peoples points and then agreeing or countering - u just seem to have a pathetic right-wing agenda
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
u r certainly taking ur time Vienna - have u got writer's cramp/block? U soon run out of things to say when all u have is rhetoric and beligerence to spout instead of reasoned argument and debate
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah Vienna, how come you never actually respond to my posts?

Here:

Shall we get back to issue at hand?

Whatever your views on the trivialities of this topic, I think there is little to dispute about the erroneous nature of Kilroy’s article. As JSM, does not fail to remind us, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But, in my view, as soon as that opinion becomes ‘public’, in this case when an article is written in a daily paper. The writer becomes accountable. Why? Because the newspaper, though full of political motivations, should to an extent contain factual information and is accountable like any other media mouthpiece. Kilroy had a public responsibility, and he was well aware of it. But his aggressive ramblings, which could have incited individuals to act negatively towards arabs. Not because it contained some enlightening information, but because it loosely accused, for example, that thousands of asylum seeks from Arab countries were “living happily” in the UK on social security! Which in itself demonstrates a lack of understanding, but alongside such things as, confusing Arabs with Iranians, I think his writing integrity can greatly been questioned.

:rolleyes:

(Am starting to really feel at home on the forum )
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this is completely off the subject aliel but what unis have u applied to?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this is completely off the subject aliel but what unis have u applied to?
Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham, Kings, RHUL
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham, Kings, RHUL
Have u heard from LSE UCL Durham or King's because I havent as yet and am getting somewhat impatient!!
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have u heard from LSE UCL Durham or King's because I havent as yet and am getting somewhat impatient!!
Have heard from all of them except Durham.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (150)
60.73%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.45%
No- I want it (69)
27.94%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads