Turn on thread page Beta

Kilroy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    why did they ban his talkshow? its better than the others on, he's pretty funny, i saw him talking to trev. mcd on itv, he's half interesting.

why dont they have more time to kilroy, and ditch the other rubbish. least he is controversial and interesting and more well known - thats what will get the BBC ratings.
    as a presenter of a talkshow he comes from the an impartial viewpoint but in his article he was clearly biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    as a presenter of a talkshow he comes from the an impartial viewpoint but in his article he was clearly biased
    but thats the article, not the talk show. his talkshow is popular and got BBC ratings, more than any other rubbish talkshows they had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Kilroy has just gotten into trouble about a piece he wrote in the Sunday Express (would be the express). It's quite interesting to read, kind of like a literate version of my Grandad...

Mr Kilroy-Silk's piece started: "We are told by some of the more hysterical critics of the war on terror that 'it is destroying the Arab world'. So? Should we be worried about that?"

Mr Kilroy-Silk went on to say that the toppling of despotic regimes in the Middle East should be a war aim, and questioned the contribution of the Arab nations to world welfare and civilisation.

"Apart from oil - which was discovered, is produced and is paid for by the West - what do they contribute? Can you think of anything? Anything really useful?... No, nor can I...

"We're told the the Arabs loathe us. Really?... What do they think we feel about them? That we adore them for the way they murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September and then danced in the hot, dusty streets to celebrate the murders?"

He said Arab nations should be grateful for the aid and technology the West had provided.

"They should go down on their kness and thank God for the munificence of the United States."
    Id say he should learn to differ between the population, the terrorists and the governments. When it comes to the governments of those countries I agree. The arab world consist essentially of cruel dictatorships which try to keep their power by blaming everything on the west based on religious reasons. The problem is that you cannot just remove these dictatorships, because you end up in the sort of chaos as you see now in Iraq. I do however agree that there is no particular reason why we would want the arab GOVERNMENTS to remain. If there was a way to crush these governments without harming the population or making things worse than they already are, Id be up for it. And no, these governments are NOT sovereign representatives of their countries. The majority of them are cruel dictatorships with little, or no respect for human rights. If you have any grudges against Bush and his government, take a look at Iran! The population of Iran would undoubtly be much better off in a secularised democracy. Only problem is that those changes do not come easy, nor cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Id say he should learn to differ between the population, the terrorists and the governments. When it comes to the governments of those countries I agree. The arab world consist essentially of cruel dictatorships which try to keep their power by blaming everything on the west based on religious reasons. The problem is that you cannot just remove these dictatorships, because you end up in the sort of chaos as you see now in Iraq. I do however agree that there is no particular reason why we would want the arab GOVERNMENTS to remain. If there was a way to crush these governments without harming the population or making things worse than they already are, Id be up for it. And no, these governments are NOT sovereign representatives of their countries. The majority of them are cruel dictatorships with little, or no respect for human rights. If you have any grudges against Bush and his government, take a look at Iran! The population of Iran would undoubtly be much better off in a secularised democracy. Only problem is that those changes do not come easy, nor cheaply.
    yep.

ReputationRep:
    hey jonathan what r u going to for degree and where u applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yep.
    wait let's have a look at these arab govts - arent they politically backed by bush administration - really he is the obstruction to getting changes there. And if u can crush Iraq then crush the Arabs too - be equal at least - especially since the origin of much of the terrorism is from Arab countries

ReputationRep:
    Vienna how old r u>

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt have minded Kilroy's article if he directed more at the governments rather than at the culture - by attacking sherir (spelling mistake to be sure) law u are attacking their religion - we know that that sort of law is madness and abhorrent - but muslims all over the world will naturally feel offended - and after all who are we to judge - a moral question could be asked of camp X-ray where the prisoner's human rights have been suspended - and yet we stand by and condone it even though our country's laws are based upon habeus corpus

ReputationRep:
    wait let's have a look at these arab govts - arent they politically backed by bush administration - really he is the obstruction to getting changes there. And if u can crush Iraq then crush the Arabs too - be equal at least - especially since the origin of much of the terrorism is from Arab countries
    what exactly do you have a problem with. what governments?
    the obstruction? or the only solution?
    crush Iraq or build a democratic and free society that will be able to prosper for itself in the coming years.
    at least you admit that terrorism is coming from Arab states, something that, funnily enough, you criticised Kilroy for being racist over.

ReputationRep:
    crush Iraq or build a democratic and free society that will be able to prosper for itself in the coming years.
    at least you admit that terrorism is coming from Arab states, something that, funnily enough, you criticised Kilroy for being racist over.
    no i was criticising him for attacking their culture not that he pointed out that which is patently obvious - i think he did not put it delicately enough. and in his position as a political commentator/topical presenter he has to be impartial and not biased - the slant of his article was against Arabic culture - "they have nothing to offer us etc."

ReputationRep:
    Well funnily enough i dont see war-torn Iraq or the previous amusement Afghanistan as ever recovering any stability. Both were ruled by extreme regimes but now those are gone rival factions are fighting to gain superiority to start the whole cycle again. I dont like such regimes but democracy will never happen in these places.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda split. in some ways they should be thankful, because the US is giving a lot of money to the middle east. The United states is practically going into recession right now because of the war. but we are using a bit of their oil, I don't really know how much. But a lot of the gas and oil america uses surprisingly comes from areas in North aMerica. There are a lot in California and Texas, as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion, I think that we should just leave them alone and let them sort out their own problems, instead of weilding our so called "big stick." Thats why osama bin laden hates US bc we intruded into their business. Its too late now, though, to change anything.I'm baseing these opinions on what I know, so mabye there's more to what I'm writing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozabadoza)
    I'm kinda split. in some ways they should be thankful, because the US is giving a lot of money to the middle east. The United states is practically going into recession right now because of the war. but we are using a bit of their oil, I don't really know how much. But a lot of the gas and oil america uses surprisingly comes from areas in North aMerica. There are a lot in California and Texas, as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion, I think that we should just leave them alone and let them sort out their own problems, instead of weilding our so called "big stick." Thats why osama bin laden hates US bc we intruded into their business. Its too late now, though, to change anything.I'm baseing these opinions on what I know, so mabye there's more to what I'm writing about.
    So u disagree with the war then? Also i think that Israel are in a delicate position in the middle-east being the only majority non-muslim state - but they really should handle it more delicately - bin laden seems to resent USA support of Israel seemingly in opposition to Palestinian muslims - this is the image USA and the West have to distance themselves from - i agree we should leave them to themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozabadoza)
    i have to say thats a very fair viewpoint, although i would be careful in assuming that Ben Laden and other terrorists are simply miffed at American interference. they hate all non-Islamic believers and target America particuarly because they represent the non-believing west most appropriately. they will only stop when all non-believers have been killed.
    you cant bargain with these kind of people.

ReputationRep:
    So u disagree with the war then? Also i think that Israel are in a delicate position in the middle-east being the only majority non-muslim state - but they really should handle it more delicately - bin laden seems to resent USA support of Israel seemingly in opposition to Palestinian muslims - this is the image USA and the West have to distance themselves from - i agree we should leave them to themselves
    Israel has a very limited set of options left in order to maintain its right to exist. A right that the US will intervene to protect no matter what state is involved. the US is forced to support israel because of the inevitable destruction of the Israeli state were american support to be withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say thats a very fair viewpoint, although i would be careful in assuming that Ben Laden and other terrorists are simply miffed at American interference. they hate all non-Islamic believers and target America particuarly because they represent the non-believing west most appropriately. they will only stop when all non-believers have been killed.
    you cant bargain with these kind of people.
    i agree with u vienna - but we should try and hit at the heart of the terrorism. I dont believe that we can wait for it to end - we do have to be fairly proactive in how we combat it - not just through violence but some conciliation too

ReputationRep:
    i agree with u vienna - but we should try and hit at the heart of the terrorism. I dont believe that we can wait for it to end - we do have to be fairly proactive in how we combat it - not just through violence but some conciliation too
    with the states that have the capability of hiding, funding, supporting and aiding terrorists, namely, North Korea(making concessions because of US diplmacy), Libya(Coalition diplomacy), Iran(already involved with the IAEA and the UN), Syria(under pressure) and Iraq(removed)

im not happy that possibly the worst one of all has still not been tackled..Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    with the states that have the capability of hiding, funding, supporting and aiding terrorists, namely, North Korea(making concessions because of US diplmacy), Libya(Coalition diplomacy), Iran(already involved with the IAEA and the UN), Syria(under pressure) and Iraq(removed)

im not happy that possibly the worst one of all has still not been tackled..Pakistan.
    Vienna if words could express how much my opinion of u has changed i would write them down - I totally agree with what u are saying especially the last one - they sponsored terrorism whilst supposedly aiding USA catch up with al quaeda - all those camps within their borders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    we both agree speciez is a monkey. ah well time to do some constructive work
    isit a wonder u get attacked by black people? idiot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    . If you have any grudges against Bush and his government, take a look at Iran! The population of Iran would undoubtly be much better off in a secularised democracy..
    Yea.. but after two centuries of exploitation and shockingly bad governance they turned to the only group in the country who still maintained a shred of legitimacy. I personally believe in secularised democracy but, if the population do not want a secular state than secularised democracy isn't really democracy...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.