The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Kilroy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
kildare
It's an internet messageboard, we're just debating the merits of what he said. Where is the problem?

questioning my contribution (that means your last post)
Reply 141
Bigcnee
Where do you get this from?

(and don't say - from reading newspapers: it's just copping-out)

It's amazing how people can interpret things differently

erm.. crap papers like the sun printing a list of good things muslims have given us, stressing the point that not all muslims are terrorists or hate the west and tv showing muslims praying for the familes 9 11, just general stuff like that.

the radio, presenters mentioning saying muslims don't want to wipe out the west.
Reply 142
vienna95
"..This will be evident in his exchanges with blacks, muslims, immigrants, single mothers, benefit claimants, catholics (in particular, he is very vitriolic to them) other politicians - he will be sarcastic, denigrating, superior, mocking and then, if challenged, will change tack and be lighthearted (sometimes hugging (women) and slapping men on the back in a display of false comraderie.
An insidious, iniquitous, slimy, smarmy and untrustworthy person!
Let's hope he does not get away with it and loses his livelihood as a tv presenter which he does not deserve.."

Hmmm fair enough, personally I prefer to debate the issues themselves. At the same time though, people are going to express their opinion about individuals (as you yourself often do with Bush). Whether or not it "adds anything" to the debate is hard to say, but I don't think anyone has the right to say "thou shalt not pass judgement on someone's character on this board".
Reply 143
kildare
Show me an example of where someone has done that in this thread.

Illuvator
Well, may i ask what contribution Mr Kilroy made to society, apart from this uninformed, and totally racist piece of... well, i wouldn't like to say what its a piece of, but i think you all get the point!
How can this sort of thing be published?

Criticising that it has been said rather than just criticising its content. Criticising that it has been put in the public domain and that Robert Kilroy-Silk has voiced his opinions.
Reply 144
kildare
I don't read enough British newspapers on a regular basis to debate with you on this issue although based on their stories on asylum seekers without evidence to the contrary I''d have to doubt your claim.

asylum seekers does not mean muslims

just because the papers don't like bogus asylum seekers doesn't mean they would hate muslims

why are you confused about this??
Reply 145
vienna95
questioning my contribution (that means your last post)

I haven't questioned your contribution..
Reply 146
Lord Huntroyde
Criticising that it has been said rather than just criticising its content. Criticising that it has been put in the public domain and that Robert Kilroy-Silk has voiced his opinions.

i agree. im not particuarly impressed by his opinions, but i suspect he is not alone in airing them and that is his right. the only grounds for such treatment would be that of inciting racial hatred. from what we have seen so far, that is completely absurd and the police and CRE enquiry will show that.unfortunately, after wasting more time and money.
Reply 147
vienna95
i agree. im not particuarly impressed by his opinions, but i suspect he is not alone in airing them and that is his right. the only grounds for such treatment were that of inciting racial hatred. from what we seen so far, that is completely absurd and the police and CRE enquiry will show that.unfortunately, after wasting more time and money.

yeah, i agree that he is not the only one to have said what he has said.
Reply 148
kildare
I haven't questioned your contribution..

kildare - "It's an internet messageboard, we're just debating the merits of what he said. Where is the problem?"
Reply 149
vienna95
or, "Not a particularly unusual premise, but it still makes him an utter cunt"

quite. but i think Lord Huntroyde is referring to the fact that he should not be sacked and vilified, which goes against what you are saying.

I believe he should be sacked because the views which he is publicly expressing should not be ones which an organisation funded by the British tax payer should be supporting (and by continuing to employ him they would be giving de facto support to his views). If he was employed by a private company the circumstances would be different.
Reply 150
vienna95
kildare - "It's an internet messageboard, we're just debating the merits of what he said. Where is the problem?"

That's not questioning your contribution, I was just asking you what exactly you meant by "we should be asking ourself what we CANNOT judge him on".

Forgive me if I haven't quoted you 100% accurately.
Reply 151
kildare
I believe he should be sacked because the views which he is publicly expressing should not be ones which an organisation funded by the British tax payer should be supporting (and by continuing to employ him they would be giving de facto support to his views). If he was employed by a private company the circumstances would be different.

the BBC is not supporting them. these were made in a Sunday paper.
and these views are hardly inciting racial hatred anyway.
you talk about the BBC and its responsiblity. it also has a responsiblity and indeed is founded on free speech. or is that just free speech that goes down ok? and sits well with a minority group?
Reply 152
kildare
That's not questioning your contribution, I was just asking you what exactly you meant by "we should be asking ourself what we CANNOT judge him on".

Forgive me if I haven't quoted you 100% accurately.

you were implying that my comment wasnt part of that debate and thus questioning my contribution.
Reply 153
hattori
asylum seekers does not mean muslims

just because the papers don't like bogus asylum seekers doesn't mean they would hate muslims

Obviously. I was referring more to the blatanly xenophobic language that is used in the articles about asylum seekers, I wasn't trying to claim that a hatred of "bogus" asylum seekers nessecarily means a hatred of muslims.
Reply 154
vienna95
you were implying that my comment wasnt part of that debate and thus questioning my contribution.

It wasn't my intention, I just wanted you to elaborate.
Reply 155
kildare
Obviously. I was referring more to the blatanly xenophobic language that is used in the articles about asylum seekers, I wasn't trying to claim that a hatred of "bogus" asylum seekers nessecarily means a hatred of muslims.

its not a case of being xenophobic, rather we dont want asylum seekers
Reply 156
vienna95
the BBC is not supporting them. these were made in a Sunday paper.
and these views are hardly inciting racial hatred anyway.
you talk about the BBC and its responsiblity. it also has a responsiblity and indeed is founded on free speech. or is that just free speech that goes down ok? and sits well with a minority group?

By keeping him the BBC payroll they would be giving implict support to his comments, regardless of the medium he choosed to air them. The BBC is of course all about free speech, they are also about international understanding and accurate reporting. Why should tax payers have to pay the salary of a man who claims that the destruction of the Arab world would be "quite a good thing, really"?
Reply 157
vienna95

I was referring solely to the way the Express reports the issue, not to everyone who just doesn't want Britain to admit asylum seekers for a variety of different reasons.
Reply 158
kildare
I was referring solely to the way the Express reports the issue, not to everyone who just doesn't want Britain to admit asylum seekers for a variety of different reasons.

you were wrong just admit it
Reply 159
vienna95

You're not willing to help genuine asylum seekers?

Latest

Trending

Trending