This discussion is closed.
sue123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I recently read that the RAF are planning on phasing out the tornado by 2018, is this true? I'm 15 but becoming the pilot of a tornado has always been what i want to do but by the time i'm ready to serve, the tornado will not be around for much longer! if anyone has any information on this i'd be very greatful, also does anyone know of any other aircraft similar to the tornado that allows women as pilots?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sue123)
I recently read that the RAF are planning on phasing out the tornado by 2018, is this true? I'm 15 but becoming the pilot of a tornado has always been what i want to do but by the time i'm ready to serve, the tornado will not be around for much longer! if anyone has any information on this i'd be very greatful, also does anyone know of any other aircraft similar to the tornado that allows women as pilots?
What makes you think women aren't allowed to fly other fighters, but are Tornadoes?
If i was you I wouldn't worry about it. Firstly because you are 15 and I doubt you've flown so much as a glider, and secondly because we have a nack of keeping planes on well past their sell by date.
J
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am sure that they don't allow women on fighters. I read on the website or some documentation thet:

" We are not sexist in any fashion but feel that combat effectiveness is better attained with male pliots"

Or something like that.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I am sure that they don't allow women on fighters. I read on the website or some documentation thet:

" We are not sexist in any fashion but feel that combat effectiveness is better attained with male pliots"

Or something like that.
Men are more resilient to the G forces. Something to do with having less body fat i think
J
sue123
(Original post by foolfarian)
Men are more resilient to the G forces. Something to do with having less body fat i think
J
so CAN women fly fighters? ur right i haven't 'flown so much as a glider' which is why i was asking about it.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so CAN women fly fighters? ur right i haven't 'flown so much as a glider' which is why i was asking about it.
I live on a frontline Harrier base. There are female Harrier pilots here who are every bit as good as their male counterparts.

The Tornado should be long gone by 2018. With the introduction of the Eurofighter Typhoon shortly, and then the JSF, there will be no place for a plane built to counter the threat from Russia during the Cold War in a modern airforce.

Good luck with your dreams to be a pilot. I presume you have 20/20 vision, and no health problems including but not limited to asthma or hayfever.

It should probably be noted that whilst women are mentally capable of being as good as male pilots, the Harrier does not pull many G's. The Eurofighter has had to be toned down regards capability simply to allow women to pilot it (their necks couldn't take the G it could originally pull). No such limitations will be imposed on the JSF.

Whatever plane eventually replaces the JSF will most likely be pilotless, as there is not point limiting a fighters effectiveness simply to enable it to be piloted by a person when a computer can do a better job.

Regards,
Ed
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This might be going off the topic a little bit, but is the Eurofighter really as good as that? I kept reading about problems with upgrades and the like. Also, which do you think is better, the Eurofighter or the JSF?

I'm not going to be a pilot or joining the RAF, I don't know much about this at all, I was just wondering...
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
This might be going off the topic a little bit, but is the Eurofighter really as good as that? I kept reading about problems with upgrades and the like. Also, which do you think is better, the Eurofighter or the JSF?

I'm not going to be a pilot or joining the RAF, I don't know much about this at all, I was just wondering...
Eurofighter will be ****. you have to remember that it takes so long to test plans and get them approved that by the time it gets toa working model technology has already advanced.
Its kind of like buying a computer - you know there will be a better model at the same price next week, but you cant put off buying it forever
J
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Eurofighter will be ****. you have to remember that it takes so long to test plans and get them approved that by the time it gets toa working model technology has already advanced.
Its kind of like buying a computer - you know there will be a better model at the same price next week, but you cant put off buying it forever
J
Hm, ok, what about the JSF then?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
J
Well, actually women are better suited to withstanding G force.
If what i read in that advert was true!
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Hm, ok, what about the JSF then?
By the time it comes in there will have been so many advances that parts of it will be obselete. It's a universal concept!!!
Always remember it is far easier to develop a weapon to destroy something than it is to develop a defense mechanism.
J
sue123
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well, actually women are better suited to withstanding G force.
If what i read in that advert was true!
Really? Where did you read that? It's great for me if it IS true anyway!
sue123
(Original post by Tednol)

Whatever plane eventually replaces the JSF will most likely be pilotless, as there is not point limiting a fighters effectiveness simply to enable it to be piloted by a person when a computer can do a better job.

Regards,
Ed
I'm 15 so i haven't taken any of the aptitude tests or anything yet (however, regardless of how tough the selection process and training is, i hope to becomea pilot ONE DAY!)
You got me worried though: i understand your point about a computer doing a better job so does this mean that by the time i finally do get to the point where im a serving pilot, my career will nearly be over? After all, won't pilots slowly be fased out?......or am i getting WAY ahead of myself here?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
The Tornado should be long gone by 2018. With the introduction of the Eurofighter Typhoon shortly, and then the JSF, there will be no place for a plane built to counter the threat from Russia during the Cold War in a modern airforce.
Question 1; do you live at Cottesmore because you're a Harrier mate, or are you there for some other bizarre reason?

Tornado is currently due to serve in GR role until 2015. It'll be replaced by FOAS; Future Offensive Air System. It is highly likely that FOAS will be composed of a combination of aircraft such as Nimrod firing Storm Shadow or other long-range stand-off weaponary, and either a Typhoon or JSF based combat aircraft.

As to Harrier not pulling a great deal of G, it's a low level aircraft. The first of the GR.9 versions with the Mk107 Pegasus engine can sustain a constant +5Gz at low level. You'll not get that out of a Tornado with stores on, nor a Jaguar.

I know very well two people who've worked with the Typhoon OCU. They consider your comment that its capabilities were toned down for women to be very interesting....!!! Where exactly did you hear that?

You're right that a computer controlled fighter can be more effective than a human piloted one, but only in terms of raw high-Gz work in a dogfight. That doesn't happen anymore; and it'll be a long, long time before we have computers that can be trained properly in tactics to make airborne decisions like a pilot can. JSF's replacement won't be pilotless because it has to operate from carriers. FOAS, due in 2015 or so, might have a pilotless element, and its replacement might also be so.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
J
Typhoon isn't ****. As a cold-war style fighter, it's easily the best in the world. You can argue for a very long time as to its relevance, and whether or not its much use to the RAF without an A-G capability, but as a raw fighter it's absolutely exceptional.

If you can show me another aircraft that can be past supersonic at FL400 within 150 seconds of take off, I'll be impressed. The F22 is an exceptional aircraft but not an option for the UK at its price. Typhoon will be a high-average bomber, and an excellent fighter.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You can fly anything. Don't know why you want to fly Tornado specifically, but you can happily join the RAF at 18 in 2006, have your wings by 2008, tac-weapons trained by 2010, and combat-ready on the Tornado GR4 by 2012 ready to fly it for two full 3 year tours. Will that do?

You'll also want to spend career time in ground tours, instructing, displaying, teaching weapons etc, so you can fill an entire career without actually flying Tornado much.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Really? Where did you read that? It's great for me if it IS true anyway!
Typhoon's Aircrew Equipment Assembly provides relaxed, care-free +9Gz handling. There's no aircraft really where your personal G tolerance in current kit is going to stop you handling it up to the aircraft's imposed limits.

You're picked for flying training based on ability, not a physiological resistance to +Gz.
Biggles1211
Report 16 years ago
Just to clarify...women can join the RAF as pilot and serve on any aircraft type.

The only duties that can't be undertaken by women in the RAF is RAF Regt Gunner or Officer. Other than those it's a completely EQUAL playing field in ALL respects (sex, race, ethnic origin and sexuality).

The RAF is a MERITOCRACY...you get places based on your MERITS..how good you are, not whether your male or female, public or prvate school, type of university etc etc etc.
sue123
(Original post by Wzz)
You can fly anything. Don't know why you want to fly Tornado specifically, but you can happily join the RAF at 18 in 2006, have your wings by 2008, tac-weapons trained by 2010, and combat-ready on the Tornado GR4 by 2012 ready to fly it for two full 3 year tours. Will that do?
yeh thats really helpful - thanks. Its not the tornado specifically, i mean whatever i get told really, its just that id heard about that and was interested.

(Original post by Wzz)
so you can fill an entire career without actually flying Tornado much.
I want 2 become a pilot and i know that theres lots of groundwork aswell but i was hoping i wouldn't HAVE to fill a career without having to fly too much......i wasn't expecting to fly all of the time but (@ the risk of sounding quite clueless) how much flying does the average pilot do?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(@ the risk of sounding quite clueless) how much flying does the average pilot do?
Varies; on the front line depending on type it can dip as low as a half dozen hours a month, and stretch up to 50-odd. Each sortie requires a quite ridiculous amount of planning at first, so it's not easy to quantify on pure flying hours.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads