Raf: flying the tornado Watch

This discussion is closed.
sue123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Varies; on the front line depending on type it can dip as low as a half dozen hours a month, and stretch up to 50-odd. Each sortie requires a quite ridiculous amount of planning at first, so it's not easy to quantify on pure flying hours.
my friend told me that it's possible to transfer from the raf to the american airforce, is this true? and if it is, is v. hard 2 do/likely 2 happen?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, it's not true. Unsurprisingly, the USAF want Americans; why would you, a British citizen, want to fly and potentially fight and die for the USA? Why would you want to risk your life for them and not do it for your own country? They don't take people like that. Remember that being a military pilot means you're in the armed forces, and are highly likely to face some extremely dangerous situations. We've all got mates who have been killed in the air, some at war, some in training, some at home, so it's not something to be taken lightly.

You can do exchanges with the USAF, but only for a couple of years, with the intention being that you learn from the way they do things then go back to your old unit. The USAF is for Americans; I don't understand why someone from here would want to serve in the American military, but the only way to do it is to become a naturalised American (sorry, naturaliZed American).
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Question 1; do you live at Cottesmore because you're a Harrier mate, or are you there for some other bizarre reason?
I live at Cottesmore because when I'm not at uni I live with my parents, and my dad works on IV Squadron.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I know very well two people who've worked with the Typhoon OCU. They consider your comment that its capabilities were toned down for women to be very interesting....!!! Where exactly did you hear that?
You damn sure know your stuff! Lol the 'toning down' quote was something I remember my dad telling me. I can't back it up with proof and won't pretend I can.
will 04
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
"The Tornado should be long gone by 2018. With the introduction of the Eurofighter Typhoon shortly, and then the JSF, there will be no place for a plane built to counter the threat from Russia during the Cold War in a modern airforce."

When you say the tornado will be phased out do you mean all the models?

The Tornado is the only two seater fast jet in RAF service so once its gone I take it there will will be no fast jet navigators?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
You damn sure know your stuff! Lol the 'toning down' quote was something I remember my dad telling me. I can't back it up with proof and won't pretend I can.
Typhoon behaves pretty much as strongly as its various systems will let it. We wouldn't make things easier for females; we'd just set the standards and accept girlies would fail it!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by will 04)
"The Tornado should be long gone by 2018. With the introduction of the Eurofighter Typhoon shortly, and then the JSF, there will be no place for a plane built to counter the threat from Russia during the Cold War in a modern airforce."

When you say the tornado will be phased out do you mean all the models?

The Tornado is the only two seater fast jet in RAF service so once its gone I take it there will will be no fast jet navigators?
Correct. It's likely a couple of F3 squadrons will survive as SEAD squadrons, and maybe one GR4 lot doing the same sort of job when FOAS arrives to take over.

Until 2015 or so, our FJ fleet will be GR4, Harriers into JSF, and Typhoon. FOAS will replace GR4, but no-one knows what that'll be. It's likely to be a platform mix; a couple more Nimrod MRA4 carrying Storm Shadow, an extra handful of some JSF/Typhoon variant, and some UCAVs maybe. Depends.

But yes, by 2015 or so there'll be no FJ navs left.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
19.94%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (134)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.58%

Watched Threads