This discussion is closed.
sightoplasm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey, did any one do the Biology foundation module today, if so how did you find it.
My view was that it wasn't too bad, what are your views on it and how did you find it.
sightoplasm
(Original post by sightoplasm)
Hey, did any one do the Biology foundation module today, if so how did you find it.
My view was that it wasn't too bad, what are your views on it and how did you find it.
No one here did this paper today?? lol
Amber
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sightoplasm)
No one here did this paper today?? lol
I know someone who did. He thought the first paper was fine but the second on Transport more difficult. Not one question came up that he knew inside out so he's a little disappointed. He has the practical part next Wednesday which he's not looking forward to now!
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did it - i found it SO HARD (n im predicted an A lol!) ran out of time, 5 mins to do 3 pages! bloody hard! I found transport really easy tho.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the diagram of the leaf was crap! i nknow the structure of a dicot lead but not the way they drew it! jus found out i put them in the wrong places! so not clear at all! hardly nething we did in lessons or i revised was on the paper! and no heart again in the transport mod gr!
sightoplasm
(Original post by emzie)
i did it - i found it SO HARD (n im predicted an A lol!) ran out of time, 5 mins to do 3 pages! bloody hard! I found transport really easy tho.
Ohh, at last someone replied lol, so which bits did you find most difficult, i wasn't expecting water to be put in the long 10 mark question that was surprising, i though it would have been mitosis or something of that sort.

Yeh the tissue plan diagram i think was not a very good question, in the ocr Biology 1 book it was one way and just to catch people out they drew it another way.
The next page also was a question i disliked, for instance the micro-organisms in ice cold conditions. Was that to do with enzymes taken from them and used in the washing powder??

There were some straight forward bits such as the nucleotide.
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I also sat the exam on thursday, and I found it VERY strange. Compared to all the practise papers we did also by OCR in previous years, it was hard. I don't think it was particularly challenging, just the questions weren't on the major topics like i expected. I revised a lot for transcription, translation, mitosis, transport across the cell membrane, yet there was hardly anything on them! Just a tiny bit on endocytosis which happened to be the bit I didn't even bother looking at.
Lots of people in my class found it hard, but maybe we are all just dumbass's. I was hoping everyone else found it hard, maybe to lower the pass rate, but by the looks of things, they didn't : (
That water question I was totally not expecting, but I think I did okay on that...apart from the fact I didn't write about all the bullet point thingy's..I kinda made some up of my own. That 1st question was awful!! I didn't revise it at all as I thought it would be stupid to come up on the exam, but it did, and i was thinking 'OH ****'.
Anyways, this is long enough.
Ciao
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i found the water question quite okay - i didnt revise it but my first ever essay of 6th form - over a year and a half ago, was on water! (ecatly the same Q lol so i had some feint recollection.)

the micro-organisms in ice ting i didnt have a clue - one of the pages i had about 30 secs to do. altough my teach said its about how enzymes can still function at low temperatures so you can wash at low temps! LOL! stupid

yeh the diagram caught me out - i drew the things in the wrong places. it was really unlear aswell. eg i thought the 1st one was pointing to the cuticle but aparantly it was the upper-epidemis. so stupid coz i know the structure but not that diagram that i had never seen before!

also didnt revise the functions of all the things in the cell membrane - i forgot! ops! altough knew the protein channel was to transport ions thru the membrance and blagged that the glygoprotein was for stability etc.

Liked the endocytosis bit coz i revised that. i cant remember much of the rest of the paper - its a bit a blur - oh yeh the nucletiodes - i talked about hydrogen bonds (3 to 4 depending on that the organic base is) attaching the two strands together, and the nucleotide strands forming through condensation rxns etc.

i'll be retaking it again (3rd time lucky!!!) in the summer
sightoplasm
(Original post by emzie)
i found the water question quite okay - i didnt revise it but my first ever essay of 6th form - over a year and a half ago, was on water! (ecatly the same Q lol so i had some feint recollection.)

the micro-organisms in ice ting i didnt have a clue - one of the pages i had about 30 secs to do. altough my teach said its about how enzymes can still function at low temperatures so you can wash at low temps! LOL! stupid

yeh the diagram caught me out - i drew the things in the wrong places. it was really unlear aswell. eg i thought the 1st one was pointing to the cuticle but aparantly it was the upper-epidemis. so stupid coz i know the structure but not that diagram that i had never seen before!

also didnt revise the functions of all the things in the cell membrane - i forgot! ops! altough knew the protein channel was to transport ions thru the membrance and blagged that the glygoprotein was for stability etc.

Liked the endocytosis bit coz i revised that. i cant remember much of the rest of the paper - its a bit a blur - oh yeh the nucletiodes - i talked about hydrogen bonds (3 to 4 depending on that the organic base is) attaching the two strands together, and the nucleotide strands forming through condensation rxns etc.

i'll be retaking it again (3rd time lucky!!!) in the summer

Yeh i wrote cuticle as well then looked in book after exam and so it was actually the upper epidermis!
Most people if not all found it difficult as well in my school so hopefully they would lower the grade boundaries a bit.
littleone
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no major topics. it was a bit harsh. perhaps june will be better. c u all there
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh, unfortunatly this was my 2nd try at it, so if i do it in the summer i have to take whatever grade they give me, bit scary, but the grade i've got at the mo is crap so i mite aswell try. lol i got a C in foundation and 86/90 high A in human health n disease - i only do well in things i find interestin grr
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (216)
61.54%
Yes- I don't like it (13)
3.7%
No- I want it (98)
27.92%
No- I don't want it (24)