Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see that programme about Texan obesity on Channel 4?
    What do you think of the 44 stone woman who thought she didn't need to lose weight?

I'm all for the whole "you don't need to be a size 8 to be pretty" thing, but isn't that a bit extreme.

If people are putting their health at risk by being morbidly obese and refusing to lose weight do you think they should receive incapacity benefit from the government? Or maybe it should be stopped, then perhaps it would make them realise they need to lose weight.

(Oh my god I've turned into a tory)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadflower1984)
    What do you think of the 44 stone woman who thought she didn't need to lose weight?

I'm all for the whole "you don't need to be a size 8 to be pretty" thing, but isn't that a bit extreme.

If people are putting their health at risk by being morbidly obese and refusing to lose weight do you think they should receive incapacity benefit from the government? Or maybe it should be stopped, then perhaps it would make them realise they need to lose weight.

I agree. Obesity is a rather general word though to be honest, but people who are extremely obese, like that woman, yes, i do agree.
    And i don't think its right that when someone, through free will, makes themselves incapacitized, and then gets paid for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty disgusting and she was deluded. how anyone could let themselves get to such a weight is beyond me. To die from obesity seems like such a waste of life.

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

No you're quite right, I don't like fat people either. What I dislike about it most is the way children inherit their parents lazyness - its very sad. If we were to see a mother give her 10 year old daughter a cigerette we would be outraged; yet when we see her take her to mcdonalds every night, and stick her in front of a tv 8 hours a day we say nothing. I found the sight of an obese child quite uncomfortable, because once the poor thing gets to a certain weight its almost impossible for it to lose it. You cant blame the child but the parent, but it becomes a vicous circle.

50 per cent on junk foods, and a ban on advertising towards children. And ban mcdonalds.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I saw it, we all thought it was awful the way she got into bed and her stomach (at least we think it was her stomach) was hanging out of bed over the side. Eugh!

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand people who are that fat...and refuse to see they have a problem....

it's one thing being confident in your appearance....it's another to ignore the fact that you are...and i quote...

'super super morbidly obese'

G

ReputationRep:

Now now, there's no need to do that
    I didn't see the program but...

What I always say about/to people who are worried about their weight is that as long as they are healthy and happy it doesn't matter. Being in denial is a different matter entirely though.
    I certainly don't think incapacity benefit should be removed for reasons of slippery slope and that everyone should have the fundamental right to help if they are in a bad situation. However, if they are in denial then someone should seriously consider sectioning under the mental health act. Once accepted that they have a problem then they should get adequate support in surviving as long as possible/getting out of it.

As for obese kids, it's terrible, but you're going to find it a hard process to reform the parents and really that would need to occur over multiple generations. It's here and now I think schools can help, instead of cutting sports from their timetables they should be devoting a small bit of every day to it, so maybe they don't have to do 3 mile cross country runs once a term because that doesn't help but they are doing some exercise regularly and from there it can only improve!

Alaric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I can't stand people who are that fat...and refuse to see they have a problem....

it's one thing being confident in your appearance....it's another to ignore the fact that you are...and i quote...

'super super morbidly obese'

G
    I think we all have to remember that only minority of people who are obese are like that woman in the program. the majority of people who are obese want to lose weight it is just they a)cant stop eating b) not motivated to stop c) cant exercise
    Medics are now seeing obesity as a medical condition i.e. the process in our brain which tells us we are full is somehow depleted or not there in obese peoples brain thus they are not able to determine when they are full

The think you need to take the content of that program with a pinch of salt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    I think we all have to remember that only minority of people who are obese are like that woman in the program. the majority of people who are obese want to lose weight it is just they a)cant stop eating b) not motivated to stop c) cant exercise
    Medics are now seeing obesity as a medical condition i.e. the process in our brain which tells us we are full is somehow depleted or not there in obese peoples brain thus they are not able to determine when they are full

That may be true....the medical reason i mean...but i'm annoyed at all the people who blame it on their genes and say there's no way they can lose weight...when their lifestyle is appauling!!

I know gene do have a say in your appearance...but no matter how big your genes say you should be...with regular exercise and a healthy diet..anyone can keep themselves from becoming grossly overweight!

G

P.S...i'm not 'fat-ist'!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)

Although you're right, that medical condition has now been identified as one cause of obesity, it's quite an unusual one, and shouldn't be used as an excuse by people who just eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.