Is a crosstrainer an effective way of losing weight?

Watch
theringer92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am thinking of building up the amount i do per day, making my main goal 1000 a day...is this too much and am i harming my body?
Naigan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are far more effective ways to lose weight, such as HIIT on ground, incorporating heavy weights.

Either way, the best way to lose weight is through diet, not exercise, although obviously a combination of the two will be more beneficial than one on their own.
Khanage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah of course it is, its a piece of cardio equipment.

However i'd recommend HIIT, cleaning up diet, running outdoors, running on a treadmill, rowing, swimming, and doing other sports before using an cross trainer.

I'd only recommend it really for people with injured ankles/knees, as the cross trainer places less strain on those joints.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theringer92)
1000 a day
1000 what? metres?
Kash:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
running outside is better.
theringer92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delaney)
1000 what? metres?
yep

thanks guys
Elementric
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Naigan)
There are far more effective ways to lose weight, such as HIIT on ground, incorporating heavy weights.

Either way, the best way to lose weight is through diet, not exercise, although obviously a combination of the two will be more beneficial than one on their own.
Ugh... why do people keep saying this? If you have a healthy, say, 2500 calorie diet and have time to do 1Mcal worth of exercise each day, how would changing diet possibly be 'better'? All you're liable to do is leave yourself with a less well balanced diet.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yep

thanks guys
Set a time and try to increase the distance you do each day

e.g, for 30 mins

Day 1 - 1000m
Day 2 - 1500m
Day 3 - 2000m

etc :P even if its in not so big steps or if you do the same distance for a few days, as long as you're increasing in the big picture its all good :yes:
member327593
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I lost a lot of weight using the cross trainer and cutting down on junk food! I'd definitely recommend it
theringer92
Rep:
?
(Original post by A100whoo)
I lost a lot of weight using the cross trainer and cutting down on junk food! I'd definitely recommend it
wooo that's great! so how long did you spend on it per day? and how long did it take for you to lose weight?

i was actually planning on doing both of these
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not the most effective but it will work.
Naigan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elementric)
Ugh... why do people keep saying this? If you have a healthy, say, 2500 calorie diet and have time to do 1Mcal worth of exercise each day, how would changing diet possibly be 'better'? All you're liable to do is leave yourself with a less well balanced diet.
If you have a healthy diet then there is no need to change it, clearly, that should be obvious to anyone here and I wasn't aware such an obvious point would need clarifying.

My point was for those individuals who eat a lot of junk food, take outs etc, which to be honest, is most people, their priority should be to clean up their diet before exercise (if having to choose between the two).
member327593
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wooo that's great! so how long did you spend on it per day? and how long did it take for you to lose weight?

i was actually planning on doing both of these
Obviously you must increase the time slowly. I'd say about 3 days a week, 1 hour each should be enough

We've got 2 crosstrainers in our house cause me and mum like them that much! Good luck!
Jadelyndsey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am thinking of building up the amount i do per day, making my main goal 1000 a day...is this too much and am i harming my body?
1000 what? Seconds? minutes? calories? kms? miles?

2 summers ago i used my cross trainer for 30 minutes every day, along with a calorie controlled diet, and i lost 30lbs, and everywhere was toned. ATM, ive gained back that 30lbs due to bad diet and NO exercise, so im hoping to do the same thing now, using the same equipment. So in my opinion, yes, it does help you lose weight. I made sure i burned about 300-400cals per session, aswell as having a 600-700cal deficit in my diet. That meant, having a 1000 calorie deficit during day to day goings on, totalling up to a 7000calorie loss per week, which is equal to 2 pound weightloss. If you did this for 15 weeks, (just under 4 months) You would lose 30lbs. You could also do swimming, jogging, walking, etc.

I have to say though, this philosophy will work, I know there are better ways, most of which can be more effective, but this is easiest and simplest to put into practise. My friend tried just eating 1000calories less than she normall ate, and she lost the same amount of weight as me, however, she was still flabby due to no exercise, and ended up gaining it all back in 1 month, wheras I gained it back in 2 years :L :woo:

Good luck, any further q's contact me
theringer92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jadelyndsey)
1000 what? Seconds? minutes? calories? kms? miles?

2 summers ago i used my cross trainer for 30 minutes every day, along with a calorie controlled diet, and i lost 30lbs, and everywhere was toned. ATM, ive gained back that 30lbs due to bad diet and NO exercise, so im hoping to do the same thing now, using the same equipment. So in my opinion, yes, it does help you lose weight. I made sure i burned about 300-400cals per session, aswell as having a 600-700cal deficit in my diet. That meant, having a 1000 calorie deficit during day to day goings on, totalling up to a 7000calorie loss per week, which is equal to 2 pound weightloss. If you did this for 15 weeks, (just under 4 months) You would lose 30lbs. You could also do swimming, jogging, walking, etc.

I have to say though, this philosophy will work, I know there are better ways, most of which can be more effective, but this is easiest and simplest to put into practise. My friend tried just eating 1000calories less than she normall ate, and she lost the same amount of weight as me, however, she was still flabby due to no exercise, and ended up gaining it all back in 1 month, wheras I gained it back in 2 years :L :woo:

Good luck, any further q's contact me
ohh that seems like a plan :yes: and one I can stick with
I meant 1000 times on the left and right foot (I'm not sure how to describe it) because our crosstrainer has run out of battery :rolleyes: so I have to rely on counting each run thing I do.

as for my diet, it's relatively healthy, i rarely ever have take out, but I eat healthy portions...maybe I should cut back a little.
Someone also suggested to me that I shouldn't have sugary drinks (fruit juices) or food containing carbs at night...not sure how effective that will be.
Jadelyndsey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ohh that seems like a plan :yes: and one I can stick with
I meant 1000 times on the left and right foot (I'm not sure how to describe it) because our crosstrainer has run out of battery :rolleyes: so I have to rely on counting each run thing I do.

as for my diet, it's relatively healthy, i rarely ever have take out, but I eat healthy portions...maybe I should cut back a little.
Someone also suggested to me that I shouldn't have sugary drinks (fruit juices) or food containing carbs at night...not sure how effective that will be.
Well sugar is essentially fat itself (well, it converts into it) Even though i know this... I still cant resist tea with 4 teaspons of sugar, and about 5 tablespoons of it on my cereal I cant help it, its my weakness.

Right, well, doing two strides, (one left foot, then one right foot) is ONE rotation, which is also equal to one metre, and there is 1600(ish) metres in a mile, so doing 800 rotations, 1600 strides is about a mile. In 30 minutes, you should expect to do anywhere between 3-6 miles depending on resistance, fitness level, and so on. Yep, cut down wherever possible, and getting as much exercise in as poss, usually, On weekends i would split the 30 mins up into 3.3 kms (10 minutes), whilst listening to fast paced music, it doesnt seem like such a chore then, but during the week, i tend to just do as much as i can. Atm, thats 5km, which is about 3 miles, but im hoping to be able to do 6 miles all in one pretty soon like i used to
Elementric
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Naigan)
If you have a healthy diet then there is no need to change it, clearly, that should be obvious to anyone here and I wasn't aware such an obvious point would need clarifying.

My point was for those individuals who eat a lot of junk food, take outs etc, which to be honest, is most people, their priority should be to clean up their diet before exercise (if having to choose between the two).
It wouldn't need clarifying if you didn't make such sweeping generalisations. There's a big difference between having an imbalanced diet and eating too much. From my experience, 'most people' that want to lose weight aren't even that big (or unhealthy), they just want to look/feel better. Though obviously I agree with your point that for those that do have an imbalanced diet, changing it should be their first port of call (though that may be for different reasons to losing weight).
Paige_W
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kash:))
running outside is better.
actually its better to cross train as running stresses the joints and weres them away in the long run so I recamend cross training as its does the same but doesn't cours joint problems in future
Ashahedow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Paige_W)
actually its better to cross train as running stresses the joints and weres them away in the long run so I recamend cross training as its does the same but doesn't cours joint problems in future
Resistance levels on a cross trainer does not equal resistance levels running outdoors. I think running is better because you have to work much harder with running.
Stevo112
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ashahedow)
Resistance levels on a cross trainer does not equal resistance levels running outdoors. I think running is better because you have to work much harder with running.
but couldn't you offset that by working for longer on a cross trainer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.58%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (107)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.94%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.86%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.72%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.86%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.24%

Watched Threads