The Student Room Group

economics ps: reading list?

i was just wondering, what economics books are there that i could read and write about in my personal statement, or say that ive read in my personal statement, and read in the build up to interviews? all ive got so far is 'free lunch' by david smith, but thats really basic and doesnt show much apart from simply wondering about economics, not really being intruiged by it, its all in lay terms. then again if i go for higher level stuff, wont it look like im desperate and probably b*llocking about having read them? argh i dunno...
Reply 1
i'm reading "the truth about markets" and "how economics illuminates the world" by John Kay at the moment
Reply 2
I don't think mentioning books for the sake of it is a good idea. In my opinion it is better to state specific areas of economics that interest you (preferably topical...perhaps from the economist) rather than risking what could be seen as a blatant attempt to impress, for example... "I'm particularly keen on getting the oportunity to look, in depth, at the various macroeconomic factors that have benefited the recent emergence of the tiger economies". Obviously if a particular book has stimulated this interest then you could mention it but if you just demonstrate a very keen interest in the subject it will be assumed that you read around it plentifully.

Latest

Trending

Trending