Turn on thread page Beta

Help! AS Subjects. Need Advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well, for my AS levels I picked to do French, Spanish, Russian and English Language. Then a few weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to change English Language to Maths, but it wasn't possible at all, because Maths clashed with everything else. Anyway, we had an information evening yesterday, and I went to speak to him and he said, I should be able to teach my self the AS level, so I'd be doing 5 AS levels. Then I could drop English Language at the end of this year and I'd probably be able to join a proper maths set next year to finish the full A level. I am good at maths, I got an A* in Maths and an A* in Statistics, but I don't really know if I'll be able to do the AS in one year with hardly any help from teachers.

So, I have a few choices, either I do all 5 AS levels, I drop Maths and just do the 4 AS levels, or I think, I can drop English Language, so I will only have 3 timetables AS subjects, so basically, I'd just have more free periods, so I will have more time to teach myself Maths, but I still wouldn't have any teachers help. I really enjoy Maths, so I don't really want to drop it, but there's no point me doing it, if I'm just going to fail it. I also like English Language, but I'd prefer to be able to do it, but if I just don't know if I'd have time to teach myself Maths then.

Ok, so can anyone give me any advice, please. I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    A mistake I made with my choices was not being certain what I wanted to do at university, could you tell me what you're thinking about doing at uni first.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know I want to do modern foreign languages, but no idea which. The reason I don't really want to do Maths is because, I enjoy it, and I thought it would be good to have a contrasting subject in there, to show I'm not completely one sided to languages.

ReputationRep:
    Your maths teachers aren't willing to spend any time at all with you? I'd probably drop the English and go for Maths - it's nice to have some diversity.

It is perfectly possible to do 5 AS levels but probably not if you're going to be teaching yourself with no help - I wouldn't recommend it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically, for maths, I'm meant to be doing C1 and S1 this January and C2 in June. There is a revision class at lunch times for people in U6 who need to resit S1, and I can go to that. So I will be pretty much being taught S1, but I will need to teach myself C1 and C2, except for that I will be given the texts books, and I could probably ask my friends who all do further maths for help.

I think I may have to drop English Language then, which will be a shame because it seems like an interesting course, but I would definitely prefer to have maths than that.

ReputationRep:
    You could perhaps just do a couple of modules in English? I don't know if there's actually any worth in that - it might add to your UCAS points...? And wouldn't be as much work.

ReputationRep:
    Would it actually count for anything, if I just did one or two modules? I was actually thinking of maybe sticking with English until January, when we are doing 1 module, and then deciding whether to drop it. The only problem with that is, if I do decide to drop it then, I'll have done lots of work for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if one or two modules would boost ucas points - talk to a teacher or someone who definitely knows before doing anything there though.

It wouldn't necesserily be 'for nothing' - you'd be able to concentrate more on maths if you did quit, but you give yourself the opportunity to see how you do in january and then decide whether to continue or not. I suppose it's called breathing room - if you do brilliantly at english you can continue easily but if you mess up, which I'm sure you won't because you must be good at languages, then you can concentrate on maths with no problems.

(...does that even make sense? :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thanx for all your help. I suppose I shouldn't do anything drastic in the first few weeks anyway, as I might end up regretting it, so I'll at least wait a few weeks, so I actually know exactly what all the lessons are like, and if I am finding any time to learn maths. I'm sure it will all work out eventually, well, hopefully anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably do English Lit or History, instead of Russian.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way I am dropping Russian

ReputationRep:
    then french or spanish

ReputationRep:
    Would your maths teacher(s) not be willing to help you at all? Maybe if you ask them nicely, they'll set up some lunchtime and after school lessons where you can go through each topic or whatever after you've done the work on your own. It would be hard doing 5 ASs even if one wasn't taught, so it's really a question of whether you feel you can handle the work. You're obviously good at maths, so as long as you keep up with things, you should be fine. I'd start off doing all 5 subjects and see if you really enjoy both English language and maths. If you don't, or you're struggling to keep up, you'll have had some experience of both subjects and you'll find it easier to decide which to drop.

You should speak to the maths teachers at your school and tell them, then see if you could teach yourself with their help? Also is there any lessons of maths that dont clash with anything on your timetable if so you could do those lessons?

Is there any local colleges that offer Maths as an evening class?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.