Cost of Living in Bristol Watch

This discussion is closed.
legbreakgoogly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Wha Gwan,

As you know I have a place at KCL, but owing to issues of cost and safety fears, I am also applying for postgrad study at Bristol. I am therefore wondering what is a realistic cost of living, rent inc, for a month in:

a) halls of residence

b) the private sector

And finally, what areas of the city are considered no go areas, due to high crime.
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bristol is better than KCL.
esd1323
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
Bristol is better than KCL.
Easily, I should think... my friend who's going to KCL is having to get a train to uni everyday because the accomodation is so spread out. That's a lot of train fares...

I think hall fees are mostly between about £3000-£4000, depending on if it's self-catered or catered or shared etc.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The main 'no-go' area is St. Pauls. If you stay around the university area it won't be a problem though - there's no need to go out of Redland/Cotham/Clifton/Gloucester Road area really.
shavenwookiee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Basically your looking at around £7,000 a year living costs for halls.
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
Blood,

Bristol is NOT a better University then Kings. It is very good in its own right, the KCL is an international name and reputaton. I have friends who are at McMaster in Canada, and they have all heard of Kings.

Plus in the Guardian rankings, KCl is 5, Bristol 11.

But like I said, both are good. Its a cost issue which forces my hand it seems.
Shelbycakes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think bristol is better. hehe!
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
On what grounds?

Seriously honey, ask foreign people about UK universities, and after Oxbridge, only 4 or 5 resonate in there minds, thats UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL and SOAS.

Bristol is VERY good, but for reputation and name-weight clout, King's is a heavyweight, Bristol a cruiserweight.
Shelbycakes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On the grounds that i'm allowed an opinion. And i like the atmosphere and the people at bristol better than in london.
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
Aye, cant argue on the ppl bit. London's biggest +1 is that its got loads of gorgeous East European chicks, and RICH upper class South Asian girls, who are hot AND have the air wealth would give you.
Gexko
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by legbreakgoogly)
On what grounds?

Seriously honey, ask foreign people about UK universities, and after Oxbridge, only 4 or 5 resonate in there minds, thats UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL and SOAS.

Bristol is VERY good, but for reputation and name-weight clout, King's is a heavyweight, Bristol a cruiserweight.
When u say all the London Unis, what you mean is they've heard of UL cos they've heard of London surely?

oh and the guardian sucks anyway, the times league tables are so much better :p:

But, more seriously, differences of half a dozen places in the top 20 in a league table is going to result in very little visible difference on the ground.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On what grounds?

pfft, i'm guessing your going to a UoL uni?

Whilst i agree foreign people would recognise oxbridge and imperial and lse (probably alot more than bristol). That doesn't make them better places to live. I disagree that SOAS would have more of a reputation, i personnally think you said it because of its high ranking in tables, rather than general rep..
Shelbycakes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yep i really like those girls! very valid reson for chosing a uni.
Phil_D
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Yeah, many of the London Unis have a big big reputation... King's probably is a heavy-weight Uni ... but if King's is then Bristol is definately a heavy-weight.

But who says reputations are always deserved.
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
The Big 5 are heavyweights induvidually too, as well as of course having the whole London thing. Its unjust to suggest that they do not carry greater pulling power.

I have a MA place at Kings in 2006, yes, I defered my entry. I am also applying to UB as this thread suggests.
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes but surely you have to see that they are more recognised by people from abroad because its "kings college LONDON". Rather than simply on their own. I think the london part does alot for them, surely people from canada are spotting the fact its a london uni.

I do agree its well respected, and certainly uni's like LSE are very competitve but i don't think bristol is "in a different leaque" to KCL.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Blood,

Bristol is NOT a better University then Kings. It is very good in its own right, the KCL is an international name and reputaton. I have friends who are at McMaster in Canada, and they have all heard of Kings.

Plus in the Guardian rankings, KCl is 5, Bristol 11.

But like I said, both are good. Its a cost issue which forces my hand it seems.
Oh please... :rolleyes:

KCL trades off the fact that it comes under the UoL umbrella. They like to think they're the same university as UCL, ICL and LSE, which really are up at the top. But Bristol has a better reputation with employers than KCL.

If you chose your university based on the Guardian rankings, I pity you. Frankly, they're ********.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163903,00.html

Abertday Dundee for law, anyone? No, seriously! It's the 8th best in the country! And SOAS is better than Cambridge, don't you know?

Not convinced? Let's try languages.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163896,00.html

APU's right up there I see... :rolleyes:
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zakatu)
yes but surely you have to see that they are more recognised by people from abroad because its "kings college LONDON". Rather than simply on their own. I think the london part does alot for them, surely people from canada are spotting the fact its a london uni.

I do agree its well respected, and certainly uni's like LSE are very competitve but i don't think bristol is "in a different leaque" to KCL.

I never suggested it was a different league to Bristol. UB is EXCELLENT, no doubt. But ppl suggesting that KCl isnt a bigger name, or doesnt impress employers more is just crazy.

Yes, they do benefit from "London" at the end, who doesnt?
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
your changing your statement a bit, you said "Bristol is NOT a better University then Kings".

Now your saying its got a bigger name, which is different.

I think your probably right that more people will recognise KCL than Bristol, becaus of the london thing. Meh :confused:
legbreakgoogly
Rep:
?
I am always right. You will learn this. Resistance is futile.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?