This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
employment on that basis? pure rubbish!

k, i work in a little shop that sells gifts in a town nearby. i am sure they only employed me as they were desperate for a saturday girl, and they didnt actually see me as it was a fone interview.

the other people i work with make me feel useless and i cannot be myself with them. iv have tried gettin other jobs but am always turned down. i think i no why. they way i look.

theres a part time vacancy in my shop, and on saturday numerous people came to apply. when they walked out of the shop, the peeps i worked with would comment. 4 out of 5 would b bad. either its the way they talk, some1 would be too fat (but smaller than me ??? makes sense) too quiet, too loud or just doesnt look right.

i asked the boss y she had me then to lighten the mood and ehr answer was "well it was a phone call that got it for you". i even over heard her syain to another shop ass. a few months ago that she think i am too fat for the job (evn tho i do evrythin i need to) and am not very pretty (y wud i need to be?)

So for the rest of mine and other people who rnt blessed with a nice figure and face gona b turned down? me and my mate thought itd b funny to see what happened if we went in shops one after the other (not together). she is pretty and has a figure but no qualifications. i do. nearly every shop we went in gave her a form. or took her number. for me it was "no sorry". charming.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's called discrimination and you can sue for it, if that's the only reason for turning a person away from a job (that isn't solely about appearance)
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It would be too hard to proove. I've been turn down for basic shop jobs too. Its just the nature of the game the other people were probably simply better than you.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
the other people were probably simply better than you.
better in the way they look...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I meant other things. Seriously you can't think like that otherwise you will unhappy and paronoid. I used to think it must be because I of this etc.... but you can't let it get to you. Have you thought about applying at the supermarkets?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
yup. tried Tesco, Safeway, Co-op and Aldi with that mate of mine and the answer was the same
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It might be perhaps the way you are going about it. I have been turned down from shop jobs too but I never really put it down to discrimation apart from the job at Maplin I applied for.

The problem is even if it is disrimination you will have a hard job prooving it.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
It might be perhaps the way you are going about it. I have been turned down from shop jobs too but I never really put it down to discrimation apart from the job at Maplin I applied for.

The problem is even if it is disrimination you will have a hard job prooving it.
they way i do it is go in to the customer service desk and say "hi, i am enquiring about any vacancies you might have" not in a posh voice jus normal by the way lol

the mate of mine says "got any jobs"
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
they way i do it is go in to the customer service desk and say "hi, i am enquiring about any vacancies you might have" not in a posh voice jus normal by the way lol

the mate of mine says "got any jobs"
I think you will be better off writing to them and then applying for an application form. The people at the customer service department are never the best people to ask they its not up to them to make decisions like that.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
I think you will be better off writing to them and then applying for an application form. The people at the customer service department are never the best people to ask they its not up to them to make decisions like that.
mmm suppose. but i no its deffo the way i look that puts a major barrier up
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (147)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.53%
No- I want it (68)
27.98%
No- I don't want it (17)
7%

Watched Threads