The Student Room Group

Is it worth me even going to do art/design at uni?...

Next year I'll be going to do a foundation year, but, is it worth me actually carrying on with art and progressing onto university (I haven't decided on which degree I want to take yet) as jobs are getting so tough to get. So I didn't know if I should go into a job area which was more 'in demand' such as I.T/computing.

Speaking to people who do/or want to do art, do you have any thoughts? :/
Depends on what area of art your interested in? How about try researching into areas you might be interested in like fine art, textiles,graphics,photography, 3D ceramics, animation etc theres loads of stuff you could do.

I've applied to do interior design and graphics at uni.
Everyone eventually has to choose between two things.

Working just to make money, in something u feel ok or get bored by but is safe.

Or work because u enjoy it and follow your dream career.

Now as far as i see it as long as you're flexible and work hard u will find a way to live with a art design education. Whats more impoetant is you'll enjoy your work. Or go for the easy job that has a easy career ladder but will leave you unfulfilled.

When u consider how much of your life you will work i cant imagine picking a career solely on earning potential.

I started on a very different career path and while i did well and everything i realised i wasnt fulfilled. I lived for weekends so i could go take photographs. I realised what was more important to me for happiness.

Irs up to wveryine to digure out what thwy need to be happy.
Reply 3
I'm doing Fine Art at university, and i'm thinking of maybe going into teaching with it. I'm not 100% yet, but art has always been something i've wanted to do, so i wouldn't let job demands in other areas put you off, there's always going to be jobs more in demand than others.
Reply 4
Emmargh
Next year I'll be going to do a foundation year, but, is it worth me actually carrying on with art and progressing onto university (I haven't decided on which degree I want to take yet) as jobs are getting so tough to get. So I didn't know if I should go into a job area which was more 'in demand' such as I.T/computing.

IT might be in more demand (im not sure) but sooo many people, especially from abroad, are coming here with Computer Science and other IT degrees that I think theres too much competition
Reply 5
Emmargh

Surely it's better to go to university, as the job market will have improved by the time you graduate.

Do what you want to do. If you like art, do art. Don't make yourself miserable in a job you hate just because there's a less competition.
Reply 6
It would surely make much much more sense to go to university and study so you're ready for work in 4 years. The job market will have hopefully got better by then. Trying to hunt for a job now is pretty tough.

Also, the four years will give you a chance to spread out into things that are in demand. Don't just limited 'art' to painting! You could go into a career in art history, advertising, publishing, there are loads and loads of creative industries that are thriving and will hopefully continue to thrive.
Reply 7
There are many branches in the creative arts that others have talked about; do you enjoy Art or I.T. more? Hopefully the job market will have improved in three or four years time :smile:
I could have applied to theatres but wanted to go to university to improve my work and combining what I've studied so far because it's exciting, interesting and fun overall. It's up to you at the end of the day. Have you spoken to tutors, career advisers etc?
several universities offer programs in "design and technology" and "digital/intermedia art" might be a good way of combining your interests.
Reply 9
Thank you all so much everyone :smile:
I got more replies than i expected

ILoveOrangeJuice:
I had originally chose graphic design to do a university, but didn't feel like it was 100% what i wanted to do, which is why i'm going to go do this foundation next year :smile: so HOPEFULLY I'll have a better indication of what i want to do.

Annora & Wozzie:
You're absolutely right :smile: I'll probably find staring at a screen and typing in coding isn't for me :/ and i know it isn't... I'LL BE BORED OUT OF MY SCULL!! Yet I'm trying to think of me getting a job at the end of it all. I've had relatives and friends who have BA's in art and drama related subjects and they're sat behind a till :/ and I really don't want to be that

stantontaylor:
and that's a good idea :smile: I'll have a look into that. See I also do English Language, and i really like that, but they dont do combined degrees in that :/ plus... where would i go apart from teaching? :s-smilie: Because that seems to be the only option and i really dont want to do that :/

and thanks to the rest of you :smile: hopefully the job market will have improved after 4/5 years :smile:
Reply 10
Emmargh
See I also do English Language, and i really like that, but they dont do combined degrees in that :/

There are a few places that do it. Type "art english" into UCAS course search :smile:
Liverpool Hope, Chester and a few more do it.
Reply 11
I'll have a look Shelly_x,thanks :smile: i never thought of that

and thanks a lot Wozzie :smile: You've really helped a lot... well.. at least convince me to carry on with art :smile: thank you
Reply 12
You shouldn't go to uni if it doesn't feel right, you can only get funding once. & they might prefer you to have some experience before you start anyway!

Latest