The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

I want to do Physics at Oxford, but I'm having real trobule writing my personal statement. The problem is that I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, and I can't find anyway to link Biolgoy to my Physical interests, and my work experiences (one at a nursery, one at an accoutants) have nothing to do with Physics. So I am having trobule trying to find ways to link these t omy Physiccal interests, can anyone offer me any help or ideas????
Ultimeknight
I want to do Physics at Oxford, but I'm having real trobule writing my personal statement. The problem is that I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, and I can't find anyway to link Biolgoy to my Physical interests, and my work experiences (one at a nursery, one at an accoutants) have nothing to do with Physics. So I am having trobule trying to find ways to link these t omy Physiccal interests, can anyone offer me any help or ideas????

This thread would be better placed in the personal statements forum.

MB
Reply 2
Sorry I can't seem to post anything in the right topic :eek:
Reply 3
Ultimeknight

Apply for NatSci at Camb, then you don't have to explain your biology.

Pft.
Reply 4
Because I'll never get in there, my biology's not that good anyway.
Reply 5
I didn't realise you had to justify every A-Level subject you do.
I did A-level Music, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my current degree. I instead described my music interests.
Perhaps biology relates to one of your hobbies/academic interests? Even if it doesn't have to do with physics it still shows you have a diverse range of interests.
I wouldn't have thought you'd have to justify all your A-Levels; a lot of people do one just because they enjoy it as for most subjects there are only one or two necessary subjects to take. Mention it if you think it's relevant, but otherwise they know you've done the subject (you get references from your teacher) and your personal statement may benefit from the inclusion of more things more relevant to your course?
Reply 7
You don't need to mention all your A level grades. Some people do (and try to say what they learn from each one) and some people don't. Those that don't are not necessarily any worse as personal statements (in fact some of the better ones I've read over the last week haven't mentioned specific A levels).

My basic advice is, if you can't find a way to explain what you've learned / gained from an activity / subject, or why you do it (ie for relaxation /enjoyment), then there is no point in mentioning it! You may as well only mention things that will add to your application.

When you have written a draft, you can post it in the "Ask a helper" forum if you like for comments and advice.

Good Luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending