Turn on thread page Beta

Poll 1: Political affiliation and sexuality watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you define a "positive" attitude compared with not having an opinion?

I mean, I have no problem with people being gay, and most gay people I know are nice enough, but it's not like I go about shouting "Yeah, being gay is great! Everyone should do it!" because, well, I'm not, and obviously it's not for everyone! So I don't know which one to put. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was the same Helen - I mean, I ended up voting 3 but I'm not sure if that is right!! :confused:

I mean, when I meet a gay person or find out someone is gay I don't think its a GOOD thing as in its BETTER than them being straight but I have absolutely no problem with it and react to them/respect them in exactly the same way...

I don't know wether or not I should change my vote really...

ReputationRep:
    1. Actively dislike homosexuality and homosexuals.
    2. Are indifferent, tolerant rather than seeing gayness as an equally valid lifestyle, wouldn't be any less likely to chat to a gay person/employ a gay person.
    3. Are actively supportive of gay issues, feel strongly about issues like gay-rights.

That's how I'd see it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    1. Actively dislike homosexuality and homosexuals.
    2. Are indifferent, tolerant rather than seeing gayness as an equally valid lifestyle, wouldn't be any less likely to chat to a gay person/employ a gay person.
    3. Are actively supportive of gay issues, feel strongly about issues like gay-rights.

That's how I'd see it...
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Crapola - can I change my vote then please??

From Labour 3 to Labour 2... :rolleyes:

Moddys??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)

Moddys??
    me too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    . It's not Conservative ideology to be against homosexuality, but perhaps the membership is generally against it anyway...
    But when the Tories were in power they introduced Section 28,
    and more recently in 1999 when Labour successfully attempted to equalise the age of consent in Parliament, 93% of Conservatives MPs voted against.

I don't know about the party membership though, perhaps its different.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly the Conservatives dont see sexuality as being any basis for positive or negative discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)

Moddys??

On a similar vein... Can I go from LibDem 3 to LibDem 2?

ReputationRep:
    Has my Labour 3 been changed to Labour 2 ?

ReputationRep:
    Wikkid.

Cheers, <3

I dunno, it's just that I couldn't care less whatever the sexuality of the person/group/whatever is. It's not an issue. So I think I'm more option 2.

Although me and my bloke ended up in a gay rights march by mistake. We were trying to get to Westminster tube station!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

So far

Labour bad impression of gays (1) = 10%
    LibDem bad impression of gays (1) = 4%
    Conservative bad impression of Gays (1) = 14%

Clearly the Conservatives dont see sexuality as being any basis for positive or negative discrimination.
    More of them do than the other two parties.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but what's been noted more is the number of them who don't care [option two]. and you'd not really expect that from conservatives, yet there you go.
    Only because less of them wanted to vote for option 3! I think that young conservatives are very different in this respect to older ones.

Has anyone seen that clip of an old tory MP saying something like 'it is not natural for a man to stick his penis up another man's ******** (does action)' in the middle of the Commons? The speaker intervened. I absolutely wet myself. I think it was on a video of greatest speeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Labour bad impression of gays (1) = 10%
    LibDem bad impression of gays (1) = 4%
    Conservative bad impression of Gays (1) = 14%

Are you looking at a different poll to me then?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was doing the percentages who chose option 1 within each party.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, you actually worked it out yourself. OK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Tory through and through but very pro gay Rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    But when the Tories were in power they introduced Section 28,
    and more recently in 1999 when Labour successfully attempted to equalise the age of consent in Parliament, 93% of Conservatives MPs voted against.

I don't know about the party membership though, perhaps its different.
    But the lastest news suggests the party is turning a lot more pro gay, most Tory MP's supported the Civil partnership Bill which gives Homosexual couples similar rights to hetrosexual married couples.

This is a break through a big thumbs up to Michael Howard and his cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke88)
    But the lastest news suggests the party is turning a lot more pro gay, most Tory MP's supported the Civil partnership Bill which gives Homosexual couples similar rights to hetrosexual married couples.

This is a break through a big thumbs up to Michael Howard and his cabinet.
    I agree there's some sort of move towards being more tolerant of homosexuality, but even in the bill you mention, 37% of Tories voted no.

This compared to 0.6% of Labour and 0% of Lib dems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I agree there's some sort of move towards being more tolerant of homosexuality, but even in the bill you mention, 37% of Tories voted no.

This compared to 0.6% of Labour and 0% of Lib dems.
    That's true but 2/3's of Tory MP's supporting Pro gay legislation is sound progress.

The 37% who voted no ought to choose another party who represents their bigotry and homophobic views, they are not welcome in the Conservative Party. The party is modernising, there is fresh meat, the oldies are dying, the quicker the better.

But all in all, it's great to see that all 3 major parties have a pro gay stance, it's good for minorites, equality and society as a whole.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.