Turn on thread page Beta

Politics or Economics? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a bug! But I really need to know. Along with English, French and Art... Politics or Economics? Which one looks better on the UCAS form? Also which one is easier to get an A in? (MAY go into advertising but not sure).

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    i do both of the subjects and so far i think that politics is more intresting (but that may be just me!) i think politics may look better cus as far as i kno it is more of an essay subject. but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what u do as long as u enjoy it - thats the one ur more likely 2 get an a in cus ull work hard it as u enjoy it! good luck

ReputationRep:
    either or i think. I don't think either subject is better than the other, i would look at what your interests lie in. I personally, (being bias ) would take politics because it's really interesting. You learn quite a broad range on stuff. For example, our A2 course centered around- Education, NHS, the poor, the EU and democracy -whether or not Europe should have a European army or not for example and where democracy lies within the EU. You also learn about parliament and how it works, Plus we got to take a tour around westminster and i got to stand where tony blair stood! I think that had to be the highlight of the whole course lol

You also get involved in quite a few debates such as cruel sports, ban on smoking in public places, should grammar schools be abolshed ect. You would enjoy it if you are interested in these sort of areas.

edit: i quite fancy going into advertising too and wasn't quite sure which subject would be more useful. I asked the social science admissions tutor a the University of Southampton who told me 'i would be no better off doing a politics degree than i would doing an economics degree' if i want to go into that type of field. I could imagine that would be the same for A levels.

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    AS Politics is a bore, and very easy. A2 Politics is worth enduring for, however, if you've even a modicum of interest in the field.

Economics would be good if you decide to go and do a business degree to go into advertising but they are both good subjects take what you think you will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    AS Politics is a bore, and very easy. A2 Politics is worth enduring for, however, if you've even a modicum of interest in the field.

Yeah, I nearly dropped it after AS because it was so boring but I carried on and I'm now starting a degree in it this year...

With regard to advertising - I've been working for a marketing recruitment agency during my gap year and basically as long as you have reasonably conventional A-levels with reasonably high grades and a degree from a redbrick uni we'd take you on. Whether you did politics or economics wouldn't really make any difference, so do whichever you'll enjoy more.

ReputationRep:
    Which is more well respected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *daniEllE*)
    Which is more well respected?
    They are both very respected subjects, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doind A2 politics at the moment and really enjoying it. Most of my friends who do both subjects think politics is more interesting, but I suppose it depends what your personality is like. I'm a bit power-hungry so the study of power and where it comes from is perfect for me. Plus it depends on which course option you take. I'm doing US and UK comparative, which seems the most interesting of all looking at the specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    either or i think. I don't think either subject is better than the other, i would look at what your interests lie in. I personally, (being bias ) would take politics because it's really interesting. You learn quite a broad range on stuff. For example, our A2 course centered around- Education, NHS, the poor, the EU and democracy -whether or not Europe should have a European army or not for example and where democracy lies within the EU. You also learn about parliament and how it works, Plus we got to take a tour around westminster and i got to stand where tony blair stood! I think that had to be the highlight of the whole course lol
    Wow you're A2 course sounds exciting. Mine sounds so dull, UK/US comparative, Devolved Parliaments and Synoptic paper.

I went into Westminister too and stood where all the Ministers and the PM stand, it was a great experience and a lot smaller than you think. I tried to sit down on their seats but we wasn't allowed. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Eco definitely

ReputationRep:
    I do both and got an A in both econ and politics AS, i personally find economics much more interesting. I've started some of politics A2 and the american stuff is really boring me, i enjoyed the british politics at as much more.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.