This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey people,
I've come up with the following idea. Every year countless people are disqualified as a result of getting points on their driving licenses from speeding.

When you are caught speeding, the registered owner of the car is sent a letter asking them to declare who was driving the car. My idea is this. For a fee of around £60 to £80 a point, I would allow them to claim it was me who was driving. I would accumulate some points on an otherwise clean license and potentially make a tidy sum of money.

I was thinking of auctioning of points on my license on Ebay.

Any thoughts?

Ed
NeuroticSurgeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you really want to do that? I mean what happens if you mess it up and you end up with a void licence, and can never drive again? If you drive and add extra points for no apparent reason. But if you're really desperate, I guess you could do that for money.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Hey people,
I've come up with the following idea. Every year countless people are disqualified as a result of getting points on their driving licenses from speeding.

When you are caught speeding, the registered owner of the car is sent a letter asking them to declare who was driving the car. My idea is this. For a fee of around £60 to £80 a point, I would allow them to claim it was me who was driving. I would accumulate some points on an otherwise clean license and potentially make a tidy sum of money.

Any thoughts?

Ed
Sounds like a good idea. I hear they now do degree's at Strangeways so it might be ok

You do what you propose is highly ilegal?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Any thoughts?

Ed
I've heard of it before, it's nothing new i'm afraid. Your insurance is going to be very high when you do want to drive, and it's probably not worth it for a few hundred pounds, bearing in mind that each speeding offense is charged with 3 points and a £60 fine, unless they are doing some very silly speed, which can give the driver a ban.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Sounds like a good idea. I hear they now do degree's at Strangeways so it might be ok

You do what you propose is highly ilegal?
Is it illegal? Can you categorically ensure that is the case?

Also whilst I'm at uni, I'm not driving. But I do have a driving license. The points won't last forever, by the time it comes to me driving they will have been scrubbed anyway. And as I'm not driving, I won't be able to accumulate points myself.

Seems to me with a clean license with lots of unused points, I'm potentially sitting on a nice lump sum.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The points do go, but your insurance company can still see that you've had points on your licence. Which is going to be bad news when you do want to drive (at least i think you have to declare your previous convictions, although you might be safe due to the data protection act - i'll have to check that up)
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey people,

Any thoughts?

Ed
Thats a bit silly, since all speeding fines incur at least 3 points on your licence, and, since i assume you haven't been driving more than three years, once you get 6 points on your licence (that would be 2 speeding fines), it's revoked and you have to start again from the beginning, applying for your provisional, doing the theory test and then the practical test. Plus the police could also prosecute you for not being insured on the vehicle you are claiming to have been speeding in. And also your insurance will be put up if you have had your licence revoked.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is it illegal? Can you categorically ensure that is the case?

Also whilst I'm at uni, I'm not driving. But I do have a driving license. The points won't last forever, by the time it comes to me driving they will have been scrubbed anyway. And as I'm not driving, I won't be able to accumulate points myself.

Seems to me with a clean license with lots of unused points, I'm potentially sitting on a nice lump sum.
Of course it's illegal. You are perjuring an investigation.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have asked elsewhere and this is what i have so far.

It's perverting the course of justice and you would have to declare that to the insurance company when they ask "any other conviction"
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I have asked elsewhere and this is what i have so far.

It's perverting the course of justice and you would have to declare that to the insurance company when they ask "any other conviction"
Oh yeah i forgot to mention perverting the course of justice in my post as well...

Really its not such a good idea...
Tednol
Rep:
?
Despite some bugger giving me negative nep for this thread, and several people slating me, earlier today I received £380 in exchange for 2 points on my license.

Many thanks all for your wise words of support and encouragement.

I had previously been in touch with my insurance company, and I will still be on my dad's policy for £10 a month (it's a Volvo estate and rated "zero-risk" despite it's 2.3 litre turbocharged superchipped engine).
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how could u let people buy your points? Do they like pay you and then scirbble down on their liscence "joe blogs gave me 3 of his points" :confused: :confused:
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Despite some bugger giving me negative nep for this thread, and several people slating me, earlier today I received £380 in exchange for 2 points on my license.

Many thanks all for your wise words of support and encouragement.

I had previously been in touch with my insurance company, and I will still be on my dad's policy for £10 a month (it's a Volvo estate and rated "zero-risk" despite it's 2.3 litre turbocharged superchipped engine).
and you think its worth it? what are you now, 4 points from dq? thats one speeding fine and something else minor.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
how could u let people buy your points? Do they like pay you and then scirbble down on their liscence "joe blogs gave me 3 of his points" :confused: :confused:
How did you get round the issue of not being insured to drive their car?
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by rednirt)
Simply matter of agreeing a fee with a third party. They sent me the sum agreed, along with the police letter asking who was driving. I signed the letter, and sent it off with my license to get the points added. Easy peasy everyone wins.

And before anyone gets critical, it happens hundereds of times every day. If (presuming you have 2 parents) you mum has 9 points and your dad has 0, and your mum gets caught speeding and will lose her license, then of course her husband will claim to be the one driving.

The points on my license are 'goods' for which there is a high demand for a low supply. Go figure!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Simply matter of agreeing a fee with a third party. They sent me the sum agreed, along with the police letter asking who was driving. I signed the letter, and sent it off with my license to get the points added. Easy peasy everyone wins.

And before anyone gets critical, it happens hundereds of times every day. If (presuming you have 2 parents) you mum has 9 points and your dad has 0, and your mum gets caught speeding and will lose her license, then of course her husband will claim to be the one driving.

The points on my license are 'goods' for which there is a high demand for a low supply. Go figure!
As I said you wouldnt have been insured to drive the car cant you get done for driving without insurance? Which could make you lose your license and give you a fine. I dont understand
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanMushMan)
and you think its worth it? what are you now, 4 points from dq? thats one speeding fine and something else minor.
I'm less than 6 months from losing my probationary license and getting a real one. So then it'll be 12 points total before getting DQed. And when I'm at university I won't be driving anyway.

For £380, yes it was worth it. Thats one months credit card bill gone.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

ok, but you run a clear risk of getting caught. I mean is this guy a complete stranger right, who probably lives nowhere near you etc. Sure, the chances of it flagging up anything are remote, but if you went and did it again, then the driving agency (can't remember the acronim) computers will probably flag up something dodgy which someone will have glance over, and realise you've been done in Scarborough and East Fife, whilst living in Manchester... Still your risk, I'm all for gambling and if you think its worth it its up to you.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm less than 6 months from losing my probationary license and getting a real one. So then it'll be 12 points total before getting DQed. And when I'm at university I won't be driving anyway.

For £380, yes it was worth it. Thats one months credit card bill gone.
plus how long do points last? I don't know, but say 2 years is already £240 in extra insurance.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

oh, i getcha... still seems like a pretty silly idea to me tho lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
28.57%
No (17)
60.71%
Don't know (3)
10.71%

Watched Threads