cover letter Q and A Watch

This discussion is closed.
~nat~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I know that there have been many many threads on cover letters, but i guess another does no harm Having finally written my CV, (which if someone who's had success with their could check, would also be great!) I want to write a cover letter...but haven't a clue where to start! I know it's common sense what to put, but I've never applied for a job in this way before, and I'm also applying speculatively, i.e. posting CV and cover letters to shops not necessarily for a specific job that's been advertised!

So, can anyone advise me on layout, content etc? Any hints, phrases and tips as to what to put, especially directed at the retail sector since I'm applying to work in shops rather than restaurants, etc.

Also, do I address/send the cover letter to the manager, and ring ahead to get their name?

Thanks in advance for help... and a little rep may go on offer to those who do as an incentive! :tsr:
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Find the name of the manager, and address it to them personally rather than just "dear sir". You might be able to find it on the internet if you don't wanna phone.

Outline your main experience briefly, but not in too much detail as you've attached your CV.

End if with the dates you'd like to work, and when you'd be available for interview.

Maybe put in a bit about why you'd like to work there, and what you'd like to do.
~nat~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Find the name of the manager, and address it to them personally rather than just "dear sir". You might be able to find it on the internet if you don't wanna phone.

Outline your main experience briefly, but not in too much detail as you've attached your CV.

End if with the dates you'd like to work, and when you'd be available for interview.

Maybe put in a bit about why you'd like to work there, and what you'd like to do.
what, what i'd like to do personally in the future? or as in the within the position i'm applying for? (sorry, rather tired tonight, brain not functioning!)

also, my main problem is that i don't have experience... i volunteer, and have done work experience placements (2 amounting to 1 week each, but not in the retail sector)...
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://jobstar.org/tools/resume/ctemp.cfm
http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/coversamples.htm

Retail cover letter - http://e-bestresumes.com/resumesampl..._sample_retail
~nat~
Rep:
?
:flowers: Thanks for the links Trev...I'll have a closer look as soon as I can. Juno, thanks again. I just hope that I can keep it short and not babble, yet to the point... I just want to gain experience, yet many jobs require it in the first place!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant in the job you'd like to do!

But if you can waffle about your volunteering and what it's taught you then that would be good. Like team work, and responsibility and all those other good words.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~nat~)
I know that there have been many many threads on cover letters, but i guess another does no harm Having finally written my CV, (which if someone who's had success with their could check, would also be great!) I want to write a cover letter...but haven't a clue where to start! I know it's common sense what to put, but I've never applied for a job in this way before, and I'm also applying speculatively, i.e. posting CV and cover letters to shops not necessarily for a specific job that's been advertised!

So, can anyone advise me on layout, content etc? Any hints, phrases and tips as to what to put, especially directed at the retail sector since I'm applying to work in shops rather than restaurants, etc.

Also, do I address/send the cover letter to the manager, and ring ahead to get their name?

Thanks in advance for help... and a little rep may go on offer to those who do as an incentive! :tsr:
Cover letters are also known as 'letters of motivation', and thats what it should be. Dont paraphrase your CV, dont tell them what you want or who you are. From my experience there are three main elements: the position(or the position you would like), the company and yourself. For instance, start by demonstrating why a position interests you, then why you are applying to the company(demonstrating your knowledge of it) and then finally demonstrate why you are perfect for them both.

The bottom line is to demonstrate with examples, why you are applying and why they should hire you.
~nat~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
I meant in the job you'd like to do!

But if you can waffle about your volunteering and what it's taught you then that would be good. Like team work, and responsibility and all those other good words.
I thought you meant that!! Well I suppose it's some experience... maybe I'll briefly mention it in the cover letter and what 'skills' i've gained, and keep the essential info to the CV? (ive done it for a year)

(Original post by Vienna)
Cover letters are also known as 'letters of motivation', and thats what it should be. Dont paraphrase your CV, dont tell them what you want or who you are. From my experience there are three main elements: the position(or the position you would like), the company and yourself. For instance, start by demonstrating why a position interests you, then why you are applying to the company(demonstrating your knowledge of it) and then finally demonstrate why you are perfect for them both.

The bottom line is to demonstrate with examples, why you are applying and why they should hire you.
Those elements are exactly what i want to get across. I don't want it to be too convential and/or irrelevent. Thanks for your help
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads