The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

OK is Durham trying to make me poor?!?!

I know some if not most of the money is just used to cover costs and if they profit it goes back to the DSU, but is the freshers' ball and freshers' bop worth attending?

£35 and £12 respectively? (ok with an Ents card its cheaper...but what other discounts do you get with the ents card?)

I'll probably go to the skool daze one but I think the freshers' ball is a bit overpriced? at a push i prob will go the the bop.... :frown:

my point is......they're making me feel poor already and i haven't even started uni yet!!!

do people feel socially outcasted if they don't go to every uni/college event? in VM college if you don't want to attend a formal you can get your like dinner about 2 hours earlier...do people see you as social rejects?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh stressed!

Scroll to see replies

well i certainly dont intend to go to every formal / event the uni holds... then i really wud b skint :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
If the Hatfield ones cost that much then I won't be going!
Reply 3
Don't buy yet see what your friends are doin, but you'll soon get used to paying loads for events, espcially summer balls, ours was £60 and that was a cheap one
Reply 4
Basically, if you're looking to save money, don't go to any uni events and go to as many college ones as possible. College ents are so much better than uni ones. Like, seriously.
Also, on the subject of formals, I'd try to go to as many as possible if I were you, particularly if you're at a hill college since they don't have them as often and they are really good. They will be in demand so you don't want to miss out.
I think most bailey college formals are free for livers-in. They are at Castle anyway. :smile:
EDIT: balls will be the most expensive things, but they are totally worth it. The June Ball at Castle was £100 - :eek: I know, but I can't tell you how amazing it was.
Reply 5
cobra
Don't buy yet see what your friends are doin, but you'll soon get used to paying loads for events, espcially summer balls, ours was £60 and that was a cheap one

And most people go to these? Would I be viewed as a crazy outcast if I chose to spend SIXTY POUNDS on something more important like books or shoes?
Reply 6
Becca
Basically, if you're looking to save money, don't go to any uni events and go to as many college ones as possible. College ents are so much better than uni ones. Like, seriously.
Also, on the subject of formals, I'd try to go to as many as possible if I were you, particularly if you're at a hill college since they don't have them as often and they are really good. They will be in demand so you don't want to miss out.
I think most bailey college formals are free for livers-in. They are at Castle anyway. :smile:

very true dsu events usually suck
i wudnt pay 60 quid for a do like that :eek:
Reply 8
twoflow
And most people go to these? Would I be viewed as a crazy outcast if I chose to spend SIXTY POUNDS on something more important like books or shoes?

A lot of people go, including me, but i didnt pay (shhhhhhhh!) :wink:
Reply 9
I should also say that durham is one of the most expensive unis to live in, it has expensive rooms, and ents which come think and fast are expensive
:redface: u cheat
Reply 11
lilsk8achic666
i wudnt pay 60 quid for a do like that :eek:

If you saw my edited post you'll see that the Castle June Ball costs £100. I also went to 2 other balls costing me £45 each, and I'm not rich, trust me. It's just, once you get to Durham and you become part of your college and see how awesome it is then you'll want to go to these sorts of things, believe me. You might not think so now, but you will after you've been there a while. :smile:
Reply 12
lilsk8achic666
:redface: u cheat

I'll live, they should've realise that I lived inside the ticket barrier and moved it in so that it was outside the hall doors not the outside doors
Reply 13
One Hundred Pounds
cobra
I'll live, they should've realise that I lived inside the ticket barrier and moved it in so that it was outside the hall doors not the outside doors

Hehe I like it

Becca
If you saw my edited post you'll see that the Castle June Ball costs £100. I also went to 2 other balls costing me £45 each, and I'm not rich, trust me. It's just, once you get to Durham and you become part of your college and see how awesome it is then you'll want to go to these sorts of things, believe me. You might not think so now, but you will after you've been there a while.

thats just extortionate... :eek: :eek: :eek: looks like il b scraping round to save up the pennies
Reply 15
twoflow
One Hundred Pounds

well probably bout £140 if you factor in drinks from bout 6pm-6am
Reply 16
lilsk8achic666
Hehe I like it

thats just extortionate... :eek: :eek: :eek: looks like il b scraping round to save up the pennies

It is sadly one of the times you see a rough gap between the better and worse off students
Reply 17
twoflow
One Hundred Pounds

Yes, one hundred pounds. But you have no idea how AMAZING the June Ball is. It's prestigious, exclusive, internationally renowned, not to mention fantabulously amazingly fun and brilliant and spectacular and the best night out EVER.
There are people who would kill to go to the June Ball.
Reply 18
cobra
well probably bout £140 if you factor in drinks from bout 6pm-6am

Drinks are included. :smile:
Reply 19
Becca
Drinks are included. :smile:

what, as much as you can drink for free??

Latest