This discussion is closed.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think we should all be able to type our exams. Afterall, it's much quicker and it keeps up with the speed of my thoughts. Hands don't get too tired and inky either!! Also, I push down really hard when I write so after a long exam period I have severe pains between the joints in my hands...I can't seem to fix pushing down hard though.

This is just a suggestion, what do you guys think?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
I think we should all be able to type our exams. Afterall, it's much quicker and it keeps up with the speed of my thoughts. Hands don't get too tired and inky either!! Also, I push down really hard when I write so after a long exam period I have severe pains between the joints in my hands...I can't seem to fix pushing down hard though.

This is just a suggestion, what do you guys think?
Yeah, i agree in principal.
But in practice, how will it work?
Will all colleges buy hundreds of remote computers?
Will spellcheck be allowed?

What about computer errors?
If a pen breaks, runs out etc, then yeah, you have a spare, or borrow one or something in the exam.
If the computer breaks, your screwed!
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about the people who don't use computers very often...and can't type as quickly as they can write???

I know there aren't many of them around these days...but there must still be a few of them out there...

Also...imagine 150 people all in a hall typing away at keyboards.....the noise would be horrendous!!!

G
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a practical exam on the computer this month but involves configuring a network so it would be quite hard to do on paper.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
What about the people who don't use computers very often...and can't type as quickly as they can write???

I know there aren't many of them around these days...but there must still be a few of them out there...

Also...imagine 150 people all in a hall typing away at keyboards.....the noise would be horrendous!!!

G
Well, an option could be given to do either.
vavavoom
Rep:
?

G
Hehe agree!! Hmmm how about if the place was like if you took TOEFL...apparently there's space around the computers so it doesn't really bother you...then again where would you get all that space!!
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Would the marking scheme change then though? The fast typers will have an advantage over the writers.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
But i reckon it'd be far too complicated!!

Anyway....writing is a valuable skill...you won't be able to type everything down for the rest of your life...surely??

G
vavavoom
Rep:
?

Anyway....writing is a valuable skill...you won't be able to type everything down for the rest of your life...surely??

G
you never know
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you never know
Hmmmmm [scratches head]...debatable...

G
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Hey, speaking of the devil I just found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3376843.stm
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

G
Why do you type things up and write things down?

I've always wondered that.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

No idea....but i broke the trend!!!

G
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)

We do write-ups also!!
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We do write-ups also!!
That's true. It would be irritating though if you were trying to do an exam and all you could hear was 100's of keyboards tapping - i don't know how i could concentrate.
maljosh
Report 16 years ago
can't imagine doing maths exam on a pc... it'll be a hell of an exam! Imagine how much time will it take typing in all equations. I bet you can't type equations as fast as you can type letters...
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Would the marking scheme change then though? The fast typers will have an advantage over the writers.
But currently the fastest writers have an advantage - my friend can write much faster and neater than me and do about 5 pages of text in the time I can do 3 but I don't get any help for that - how ever you test people, some people are going to do better becuase they are naturally able to work the system better.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads