Turn on thread page Beta

bit of psychology 4 ya.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so.....do you believe that our our lives are already determined or do you think we have free will to make our lives what they are?

discuss......

personally....i think our lives are mapped out already....like me writing this for example...it has already been determined that i will do this but am confusin miself now so have fun discussin this!!

ReputationRep:
    Technically not psychology but philosophy.

Also, it's been done in one form or another (in the correct forum) here and here and (sort of) here.

Why do you think our lives are determined? Who or what determined that you should make a duplicate thread, in the wrong forum under the wrong heading? And more importantly, why? :p:

ReputationRep:
    well i wasnt sure if it wer psychology or philosophy n seen as we did it psychology i just thought id generalise it to there! sorry for the inconvenience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parties-r-us!)
    well i wasnt sure if it wer psychology or philosophy n seen as we did it psychology i just thought id generalise it to there! sorry for the inconvenience!
    No inconvenience at all. :p: How come you think everything is predetermined?

ReputationRep:
    You could argue that time is simply a dimension of the Universe and everything in it simply moves froward in that dimension. This would mean that everything that will happen kind of alread has. If we use the analogy of a road, you haven't reached a house that lies a few miles down but it nevertheless exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    You could argue that time is simply a dimension of the Universe and everything in it simply moves froward in that dimension. This would mean that everything that will happen kind of alread has. If we use the analogy of a road, you haven't reached a house that lies a few miles down but it nevertheless exists.
    But you can leave the road though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolsakaG)
    But you can leave the road though.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    How?
    By making your own track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolsakaG)
    By making your own track.
    You mean by making a different decision? But decisions made by your brain and the way your brain works is determined by all the molecules that make it up. But the position of every molecule is predetermined and going to be the same in any case. So every decision you make is predetermined.

ReputationRep:
    Well according to psychology everything is determined, and if you really think about it there's not much argument for free will!

ReputationRep:
    Man is given free will but everything that happens is the will of Allah. And this is my firm beleif.

ReputationRep:
    Well, according to General Relativity, the notion of the 'present' is an illusion, and from a distant observer's perspective, your future has sometimes already happened, sometimes you haven't even been born yet.
    So basically I'm going for determinism.
    (I apologise if I've butchered physics, but I don't think I have )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    (I apologise if I've butchered physics, but I don't think I have )
    My philosophy teacher was saying that there is now a popular belief in physics that there are three things which tie everything together, and those three things determine everything. It is looking more and more likely that everything is predetermined though. You could go as far as saying that Plato had this idea with his theory of A Priori - where we are all striving to get back to the perfect world. Meaning our goal in life has been determined before we are even born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    Well according to psychology everything is determined
    That's not true. Look up Carl Rogers, Abraham Maslow, and Humanistic psychology in general.

ReputationRep:
    hold up parties-r-us wot on earth is this abt psychology or philosophy ?

ReputationRep:
    Id say this was more Philosophy myself.

ReputationRep:
    the self-fulfilling prophecy
    1. you believe in determinism
    2. you think you're future's already set. It could be bad or good. You think, I can't change that.
    3. you sit back and take things easy, you don't exert any effort.
    4. you begin to fail miserably.
    5. you think, oh no, i must be destined to fail.
    6. you ultimately fail.

1.you believe in determinism
    2. you think you're future's already set. it could be great
    3. you put effort in and you succeed, knowing that it's your destiny.
    4. you keep succeeding, your confidence is boosted.
    5. you attribute your success to destiny; it's only natural
    6.There is a hiccup in your life; something goes wrong
    7.it's only there so you can overcome it and grow from the experience, you reason
    8.You do overcome it, with a bit of grit and perseverance.
    9. you ultimately succeed.

But did these people succeed or fail because they were destined to, or because they chose to? Would the first person have failed if they had put effort in and/or believed their destiny was a good one? Does it depend on personality? If you believe you're doomed, are you doomed?

What about quantum mechanics?

(i'm bored)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milady)
    the self-fulfilling prophecy
    1. you believe in determinism
    2. you think you're future's already set. It could be bad or good. You think, I can't change that.
    3. you sit back and take things easy, you don't exert any effort.
    4. you begin to fail miserably.
    5. you think, oh no, i must be destined to fail.
    6. you ultimately fail.

1.you believe in determinism
    2. you think you're future's already set. it could be great
    3. you put effort in and you succeed, knowing that it's your destiny.
    4. you keep succeeding, your confidence is boosted.
    5. you attribute your success to destiny; it's only natural
    6.There is a hiccup in your life; something goes wrong
    7.it's only there so you can overcome it and grow from the experience, you reason
    8.You do overcome it, with a bit of grit and perseverance.
    9. you ultimately succeed.

But did these people succeed or fail because they were destined to, or because they chose to? Would the first person have failed if they had put effort in and/or believed their destiny was a good one? Does it depend on personality? If you believe you're doomed, are you doomed?

What about quantum mechanics?

(i'm bored)

They were destined to choose to succeed or fail.

Quantum mechanics is utter *******s.

ReputationRep:
    As wild as psycology is - this topic couldn't be farther from Psycology - "Bit of mysticism 4 ya...

ReputationRep:
    I to believe that everything is predetermined, you just need to learn how to decipher it - George Bush can - he knew the twin towers were going to fall.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.