The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well seeing as your scores are almost as good as they get I don't see what else we can say other than you've got the same chance as everybody else :dontknow:
Your chances are zero. By failing to meet the 95% minimum for both statistics and economics your application will be filtered out.
ily_em
Well seeing as your scores are almost as good as they get I don't see what else we can say other than you've got the same chance as everybody else

^^

Basically that. Yep, apply away, no one can say whether or not you'll get an offer.
Reply 4
tm250
I want to study economics at Cambridge or LSE. my GCSE grades are 9a*'s 2a's and i'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography and Physics at AS.

My AS unit scores so far in UMS are: 99-C1, 96-C2, 92-S1, 92-econ 1, and 87 Physics 1.

I am going to drop Physics next year.

Just wondering what my chances are or if anyone who has got in could give me any advice.

Thanks

physics is a bit low
Reply 5
Go for it, it's only 2 of 5 choices at the end of the day
Very good chance, I had nowhere near that and got an offer from LSE (although it wasn't for Economics). I took maths, further maths and economics to A-level, did two extra maths modules than needed, and have accounts, critical thinking and chemistry as-levels.
Reply 7
tm250
I want to study economics at Cambridge or LSE. my GCSE grades are 9a*'s 2a's and i'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography and Physics at AS.

My AS unit scores so far in UMS are: 99-C1, 96-C2, 92-S1, 92-econ 1, and 87 Physics 1.

Just wondering what my chances are or if anyone who has got in could give me any advice.

Thanks

I would suggest that keeping Physics on to A2 would help your application. Other than that, your grades are good enough. Do you have any long-term ambitions to work in finance?
Reply 8
tm250

Thanks

You will most likely get in LSE, provided your personal statement isn't crap.

Cambridge will depend on the interview obviously, but you have a very good shot.
Reply 9
korektphool
You will most likely get in LSE, provided your personal statement isn't crap.

Cambridge will depend on the interview obviously, but you have a very good shot.

This is a bit too far. He stands a chance just like most people who apply to LSE and the school don't ask for UMS marks.
Reply 10
andy12691
This is a bit too far. He stands a chance just like most people who apply to LSE and the school don't ask for UMS marks.

His 9A*s will help, though. LSE is well known as a GCSE whore. Like you say, they don't require UMS marks. They place significant emphasis on GCSE achievement.
andy12691

maybe they don't ask for them, but you can definitely send them in. (this is what i did, albeit not with A-levels.)

i think the OP will definitely get in based on his grades, and if he can string together a coherent PS saying why he wants to waste 3 years of his life studying economics.
Reply 12
You have a fair chance but you are by far not guaranteed a place, well no one is practically for economics in the top 5.
korektphool
maybe they don't ask for them, but you can definitely send them in. (this is what i did, albeit not with A-levels.)

i think the OP will definitely get in based on his grades, and if he can string together a coherent PS saying why he wants to waste 3 years of his life studying economics.

I really don't know how they make their decisions because I got rejected :laugh:. My GCSEs are a bit worse than him but not much, 7A*s and 5As. AS grades were better, I didn't mention UMS marks though, my teachers did in my references. My ps might not be the best but nowhere near crap, it was checked by 2 teachers and the head of my sixth-form college so there was nothing else I could do really :biggrin:. Oh and plus the course I applied to (Business Maths and Stats) apparently is less competitive than Economics. God knows why? Maybe I'm just not what they're looking for lol.

And and the OP, a lot of people have told me if you pay international tuition fees, you have a slightly bigger chance to get in, LSE loves international students so good luck with that! :biggrin:
tm250

Thanks

Alright, as someone who got offers from both a couple of years back here's my take:
- GCSEs are fine
- A-level subjects are good
- UMS so far are fine
- Why are you dropping Physics next year?

As for your chances, it'll be much easier to tell once you get all your AS module marks. If they're as good as the ones you currently have, then I'd say it's definitely worth applying to both. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 15
As everyone has said you have a good chance for both.

Physics is on the low side. I would advise you to keep it on to A2. I studied Econ, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and General Studies (compulsory) to A2. Why don't you drop Geo?

In terms of communicating UMS marks you can do so (or have your teachers do so) in the reference they write you. At my school they showed you the reference that had been written for you and you could say if you wanted anything added. It's worth doing this as you have high marks.

Write a strong PS - that cannot be emphasised enough. Not as important for Camb but it is for elsewhere.

Lastly, make sure if you take Further Maths that you take in total 4 A2s. A friend of mine took Maths, Further Maths and Economics and ended up with only one offer (he is actually v bright and should have done better. I think it was his taking only 3A2s that held him back - basically Maths and Further Maths is almost considered 1)

Btw, I have just graduated with an Economics degree from Cambridge so let me know if you have anymore questions. Will get back to you as soon as I can.
Pluto1989
Physics is on the low side. I would advise you to keep it on to A2. I studied Econ, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and General Studies (compulsory) to A2. Why don't you drop Geo?

Or why not continue all 5 subjects to A2? As you'll know, compared to the Economics Tripos, 5 A2s is a doss.

Pluto1989
In terms of communicating UMS marks you can do so (or have your teachers do so) in the reference they write you. At my school they showed you the reference that had been written for you and you could say if you wanted anything added. It's worth doing this as you have high marks.

This is a good point - I got my school to include my UMS in my reference so all the other unis could see them as well.

Pluto1989
Write a strong PS - that cannot be emphasised enough. Not as important for Camb but it is for elsewhere.

Agreed. :smile:

Pluto1989
Btw, I have just graduated with an Economics degree from Cambridge so let me know if you have anymore questions. Will get back to you as soon as I can.

A bit off-topic, but anyway: I'm just about to go into 3rd year - do you have any suggestions for useful preparatory reading for Papers 1, 2, 4 and 10?
Reply 17
ziedj
Your chances are zero. By failing to meet the 95% minimum for both statistics and economics your application will be filtered out.

^^ pritty much

unless you had a heart attack during your physics exam, and you watched your dog get run over just before too. Then there's really no excuse. (even then, 87 is really pushing it)

unluky, u'll have to go to a second rate uni and live a mediocre life.
Reply 18
You should have a decent shot. Let's put it this way, people get in with worse grades than you currently have. What were the 2As at GCSE in? Your AS UMS seem good so far...keeping it above 90 in 3 subjects is pretty much crucial but you'd want it closer to a 95 average for Maths and Econ/Further Maths. Physics is a tough A-level but doing it and doing it well will be a major plus for your application, so don't be so quick to drop it.

Either way, apply to both. You should get an interview from Cambridge based on your grades so far and I'd imagine you'd at least be put into the LSE 'gathered field' unless your PS really lets you down.
n_251
Physics is a tough A-level but doing it and doing it well will be a major plus for your application, so don't be so quick to drop it.

:toofunny: But yeah, generally I agree - just change it to "Physics is inexplicably considered a tough A-level" and you've got it about right.

Latest

Trending

Trending