Anyone got any advice on how to concentrate? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I just *cannot* concentrate on my homework, so it's always late. I sit down, meaning to acctually get it done, but within a few minutes I'm doing something else! It's driving me up the wall! Does anyone have any advice?
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't do your homework at home. Do it at school or in the library. I find that when I work in a room full of people I don't know, I get on and do it.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well a good start is usually to remove your computer's power cable, give it to a friend on the condition you don't get it back 'til the work is done. Then you go and sit somewhere quiet and do it.

Forums aren't very good for concentration
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try and have a target to work towards....something specific to lead up to...i find that tends to motivate me...

G
Cate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alaric)
Well a good start is usually to remove your computer's power cable, give it to a friend on the condition you don't get it back 'til the work is done. Then you go and sit somewhere quiet and do it.

Lol! Good idea, but my computer is a laptop, and the battery lasts ages!!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Lol! Good idea, but my computer is a laptop, and the battery lasts ages!!
lol! the solution to that is to give the entire laptop to someone, since they're nicely portable
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lol even that doesnt work for me - i have 4 or 5 hanging around my room (not literally!), and if i gave all of them to someone i'd probably end up buying another one, rather than just doing the work!
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Step 1: log off UK-learning
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Give laptop to parents to put away until you've done the work.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
what if you need the laptop to do the work?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
see your homework/grades as a target to be overcome, plan each day, know exactly what you are going to do and complete it
Cate
Rep:
?
lol! the solution to that is to give the entire laptop to someone, since they're nicely portable
Hmm... Not sure about that! Maybe I'll try locking it away in its case. It'll probably sneak its way back out though
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Hmm... Not sure about that! Maybe I'll try locking it away in its case. It'll probably sneak its way back out though
its easy, jus set up a password on it and ge a parent to think up a password and not tell u
Cate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dickie)
what if you need the laptop to do the work?
Good point. I do actually. Some of the time. A lot of the time, though, I just make up excuses to use it for work so I can surf the web at the same time
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try to multitask
Aylia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I normally sit down with a cp of coffee or something so i'm doing something whilst working. Or eating.. normally something like saltanas or frosties so it's not tooo unhealthy. Logging off this and unplugging computer/television definitely great ideas though!
Cate
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattG)
its easy, jus set up a password on it and ge a parent to think up a password and not tell u
Actually, that's a good idea. My mum is always saying she wants a laptop. I'll set up her an account on it and let her use it for a bit! Cheers!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
lol even that doesnt work for me - i have 4 or 5 hanging around my room (not literally!), and if i gave all of them to someone i'd probably end up buying another one, rather than just doing the work!
Yeah me too, considering I'm usually doing my work on the computer I tend to go out to the compsci computer rooms - the computers there tend to have less on to distract me and it's quiet.

Revision is another matter though, I tend to go to the gardens or outside to do that, so I'm screwed if it is raining in the exam period

Alaric.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I've made my parents change the password on the internet connection so i have to ask them to get me online, and they ask me what i want it for. it's a real deterrent!
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
I just *cannot* concentrate on my homework, so it's always late. I sit down, meaning to acctually get it done, but within a few minutes I'm doing something else! It's driving me up the wall! Does anyone have any advice?
dont concentrate.
dont do any homework.
miss all coursework deadlines
fail all exams.
have no future.
have parents reminding you what a failure you are.
work in mcdonalds.

(this is how i get motivated to work)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads