Have you thought? Watch

This discussion is closed.
rockin_rio
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
sorry but saying that there aren't many jobs out there for graduates doing french or german or even modern languages for that matter is ridiculous.
have you seen how many articles have been in papers lately about how language degrees are one of the most useful degrees you could have because of the job possibilities!
Diachrom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I always thought that the IT industry had crashed after the dot com boom in the late 90's. Or at least that's what the papers say. And I agree with rockin rio: the lack of people doing modern languages has meant a glut of jobs in the market for those. And yes, those are graduate jobs...
What would you even class as a graduate job anyway? You can eventually work to that level if you didn't do a degree, so surely it must be a pretentious factor on which to base employment?
userunknown
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Employers look for experience, experience, experience.
If your fresh out of university they will look at your aptitude for the job, most large companies will train you in house too their way of doing things, so it's not neccessarily about your degree, just wether you would fit in with current enviroment etc.
sparky18
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing nursing so hopefully a job won't be a problem for me, well in 3 years time, and it gives me a base to do other things aswell. But i also thought about Fine art and i would have done that because i love art not because of a job, i didn't choose nursing because of a job either i chose it because its something i have always wanted to do. i don't think you should choose a degree just because of jobs, you have to enjoy your degree.
PieMaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Diachrom)
I always thought that the IT industry had crashed after the dot com boom in the late 90's. Or at least that's what the papers say.
Never believe the papers According to my dads management magazines, theres a massive shortfall of [skilled] people in the IT sector.

Anyway, i'm probably biased because i'm going to be doing Comp Sci. At least as a backup plan I can either teach IT post-16, or become a network admin. Although i'd choose teaching over an admin role any day.
userunknown
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most of the network administrators I have known havn't gone the comp. science degree route; started quite young in-house instead.
PieMaster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its for my own knowledge too, i'd ideally like a research or development position somewhere. Doing a degree means that if that fails, I can go for the teaching route too.

Network administration has to be the most boring job ever.
userunknown
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't want to dampen your illusions about network admin, yep it would in my opinion be a complete waste of degree.
G.A.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jesus. At the end of the day, it's the skills you learn by doing your degree which prove important to employers. I want to do History, ok, it might not have the greatest employment stats; but I like it, and that's the main thing.
There are too many people undertaking degrees for prestige nowadays.
Plus, modern languages are very useful, you can do many things with it, and like I say, it's the skills acquired which prove useful and employable.

One can argue, that there isn't a job market, but I don't see how that is true, because you don't have to do what your degree was.
I can do History, and become a lawyer for example, or anything else for that matter.

Gemx
totallydeflated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gemma.....)
I want to do History, ok, it might not have the greatest employment stats; but I like it, and that's the main thing
is it? if a degree is going to cost you a fortune and leave you in debt, shouldn't your choice of degree course be down to ALOT more than "liking it".

i'm not saying there is little or no demand for history graduates, infact i don't have a clue. i just don't think "likeing it" is the main thing, it might be the "first thing" but the main thing? i don't think so.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A lot about getting a graduate job isn't neccessariyl the relevnac eof your degree - more the fact that your employer is able to tick the box "has a 2:1". Basially yeah the content of your degree is important but only up to a point - your peronslaity and dedication tc. are as important.

As for forign languages and sociology, I don't know why you picked those as examples of degrees with poor prospects because there is TONNES of stuff you an do with those. If anything, computer science would seem like a dodgy degree to me in terms of prospects in light of the huge glut of those qulified to work with computers in the labour market...
saoirse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Errr....success after uni is not just down to your stupendous degree

The trend today is to get your "bit of paper", but to be honest the reputation of your uni still (sadly) almost counts for more than what youve studied (obviously not medicine etc lol)

How well you do after uni depends on your level of ambition and ability to make shrewd career choices, and being clever enough to know what steps/actions to take so you HAVE choices

So choose a uni course your passionate about, and dont worry about how unemployable youl be if your an Ancient Greek graduate- it neednt stop you being financially or personally happy!

Dont do some course you dont like because you think youl get a secure job=feeding the dull machine of consumerism

:goesofftoworryaboutcapitalism:
G.A.K
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe "liking" it is the most important for me. Maybe not others.
I have a desire to learn more than just A - level, and i'm not old enough to worry about the consequences. I will have gained a degree, and yes I will be in debt, but if my job doesn't pay this off, then at least I have knowledge. One can't put a price on knowledge.

I understand for others, this might sound stupid, but as long as somebody has a passion and desire to do something, surely they will always benefit some how? I know i'll probably be in £20,000 debt but it's a price I am willing to pay and a gamble I'll take. Are you saying that the current job market should affect what I study at university? Surely that changes all of the time?
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why does it matter if I can't get a job that you deem acceptable when I've finished my languages degree if I'm far more educated than you, and enjoying my life ?
G.A.K
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Why does it matter if I can't get a job that you deem acceptable when I've finished my languages degree if I'm far more educated than you, and enjoying my life ?
I agree.
Bexxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didnt choose my degree because i wanted a direct career out of it, i chose it because it interested me! I dont have ANY idea what im going to do when i graduate, as my degree (criminology+social sci) is pretty open ended i guess. I wanted the uni experience too
santogold
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Keep on studying.
I am planning on going into postgrad education after my undergraduate degree
lilsk8achic666
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
Well my degree is in Music and I want to teach. Thankfully society is in need of music teachers and there are different types of teaching I can do in music.

So fingers crossed I'll be ok
well i wanted to teach music too but i dont think i wana any more

ive been trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to do music and theology... to give me more options coz to be fair if you're doing a music degree and u aren't a performer theres not a great deal left that u can do if u dont teach :confused:
Squidge
Report 13 years ago
doing physio....so id be lying if i said i wasnt in this course to get the job at the end of it...cos obviously i am. But, its more about being useful to society, and having something to offer afterwards for the good of society, especially as ive been funded by the kind taxpayers of britain! Giving something back is what counts to me, and having the hell of a time along the way.

I dont feel that my degree wont be useful, as there is a shortage of physios in the NHS........however there is a shortage in openings for freshly graduated physio's in the NHS, these places are not being made available, as the juniors are not able to move up the ranks, due to the lack of opportunity in the senior positions.I just hope that after my three years of hardwork, because it is a hard course, that my degree will be used for the benefit of society.
litispendence
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm hopefully going to do a bit of travelling after I graduate, and then hopefully end up working in the EU or qualify as a solicitor.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1463)
79.6%
Leave (375)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed