This discussion is closed.
webby962
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This is a message to help anyone who is having a problem with some of the OU CDs. The message "Director Player 6.0 - This program requires at least 3mb free virtual memory to run" If you get this message you need to go to "my computer" select "properties" select "advanced" from the tabs at the top and then the "performance settings" button.

In the performance options box, go to change in the virtual memory section. Select "custom size" and set both initial size and maximum size to 500 mb or less. This sorted out the problem for us...hope it does for you!
CaryS
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by webby962)
This is a message to help anyone who is having a problem with some of the OU CDs. The message "Director Player 6.0 - This program requires at least 3mb free virtual memory to run" If you get this message you need to go to "my computer" select "properties" select "advanced" from the tabs at the top and then the "performance settings" button.

In the performance options box, go to change in the virtual memory section. Select "custom size" and set both initial size and maximum size to 500 mb or less. This sorted out the problem for us...hope it does for you!
Thanks to this tip, and both a working and non-working Window XP Pro installation, I found the initial virtual memory setting could be set to a minimum of 384 MB, maximum 768 and still work. 500 MB min and 500 MB max did NOT work for this particular WinXP Pro installation.

Cheers from sunny california!
- Cary
jpandsiani
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by CaryS)
Thanks to this tip, and both a working and non-working Window XP Pro installation, I found the initial virtual memory setting could be set to a minimum of 384 MB, maximum 768 and still work. 500 MB min and 500 MB max did NOT work for this particular WinXP Pro installation.

Cheers from sunny california!
- Cary
There is another reason why this error appears. If you have a flash card reader or a printer that has a card reader then the programs can sometimes see the reader as an extra physical drive. Obviously they aren't but the program still sees them as such and then checks the minimum requirements (at least 3MB of virtual memory) which it doesn't meet and so the error appears. To get round this simply unplug the offending device when using the programs. Hope that's a help
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (152)
61.04%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.42%
No- I want it (69)
27.71%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads