Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE Revision Guides watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which guides would people on this forum recommend for GCSE Revision? CGP, Bitesize etc????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    Which guides would people on this forum recommend for GCSE Revision? CGP, Bitesize etc????
    CGP definately, and especially not Letts! i really don't like 'em, but i suppose it depends on personal opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    CGP definately, and especially not Letts! i really don't like 'em, but i suppose it depends on personal opinion
    Well I actually like Letts. CGP is good, but doesn't always contain the bits of information I need.

ReputationRep:
    i've just had a look on a website and i think that the Collins 'Total Revision' Guides look brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Well I actually like Letts. CGP is good, but doesn't always contain the bits of information I need.
    Letts are chunkier than the others... CGP are pretty good, they're cheap and are attractively laid out, but the bad jokes are annoying.

I know the BBC Bitesize guides aren't good, our history teacher was moaning about them today and brought one in to show us, it was really thin. I forgot the name of the one he liked though...

ReputationRep:
    I never liked CGP...too babyish + too strenuous on the eyes due to all the colour!

ReputationRep:
    CGP for science subjects, definitely... they're pretty useless for geography/ history though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wigman15)
    I never liked CGP...too babyish + too strenuous on the eyes due to all the colour!
    I agree. CGP try to make it interesting (and "cool" -- urgh!) in a really patronising and annoying way.

Letts I have always found thorough and clear.

ReputationRep:
    The "Alternative GCSE Guides" are pretty good, unlike the others... Websites are good to revise from tho

ReputationRep:
    wat about Collins: Total Revision? Are they any gd?

ReputationRep:
    I prefered the web, and even this site (wasn't a member then). BBC bitesize is very good, especialy for maths. The english section is a bit light in certain areas. There was another site that had some good anotated poems for the English lit paper last year but I lost the address. For books I normaly went with the textbooks or the ones we got through the school. They were CGP and I found them anoyingly patronising, apart from the maths one that was cover to cover writing and tougher than a textbook to understand.

ReputationRep:
    for science i highly reccommend Londsdale books, its really easy to revise from, you get 2 books to revise from, and then 2 workbooks to complete, sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Collins Revision guides are the best...

Btw jamier...what year are you in 10 or 11?

(Original post by Absolution)
    for science I highly recommend Lonsdale books, its really easy to revise from, you get 2 books to revise from, and then 2 workbooks to complete, sorted!
    I think Lonsdale are only designed for the AQA exam board, so it may not be suitable for subjects from other exam boards...

The Collins are especially good in that they specify the syllabuses for exam boards so you know exactly what to learn.

I’m really worried about mocks which are in two days…I haven’t done any revision! Tut tut to me…

ReputationRep:
    I think letts is excellent ,CGP is pretty good but it doesn't contain all the information you need, but never buy longman revision guide it sucks and DK is bad doesn't contain any important information

ReputationRep:
    Letts, i don't like CGP- too patronising and summarises everything too simply without the detail

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: Make your own notes from textbooks/websites

It is better than any others, then use the money to buy past exam papers/practise etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    depends on what subject! also diff people favour diff things...my best friend used to love cgp but i didnt like them at all except for maths. for all the other subjects i preferred my own notes even tho my parents had bought loadz of revision books from diff companies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Collins Revision guides are the best...

Btw jamier...what year are you in 10 or 11?

I think Lonsdale are only designed for the AQA exam board, so it may not be suitable for subjects from other exam boards...

The Collins are especially good in that they specify the syllabuses for exam boards so you know exactly what to learn.

I’m really worried about mocks which are in two days…I haven’t done any revision! Tut tut to me…
    well i did edexcel science with those books and did alright.

I really liked CGP for Science & Maths. Ignore the bad jokes and supplement them with a bit of detail from your own notes/proper textbook if you want the highest grades. I still have my CGP maths and science books and (blushes) have to get them out now and then when I've forgotten stuff i need to know for my alevels.

English, eng lit, latin, french, german, and history, i found revision guides kinda useless for :P

Oh yeah, I also used the Letts exam practice books/papers(for chem) and the Revise in a Week GCSE Maths to A*. CGP practice papers, too.

Didnt hurt my gcse's at all

rosie

ReputationRep:
    i'm convinced CGP got me 3A*s in my GCSE science exams, i used them in collabaration with my class notes, they great for things like formulas etc....although, beyond science and geography they not much good...wouldn't recommend using them for english, history and suchlike

(Original post by crana)
    I really liked CGP for Science & Maths. Ignore the bad jokes and supplement them with a bit of detail from your own notes/proper textbook if you want the highest grades. I still have my CGP maths and science books and (blushes) have to get them out now and then when I've forgotten stuff i need to know for my alevels.

English, eng lit, latin, french, german, and history, i found revision guides kinda useless for :P

Oh yeah, I also used the Letts exam practice books/papers(for chem) and the Revise in a Week GCSE Maths to A*. CGP practice papers, too.

Didnt hurt my gcse's at all

rosie

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.