Are Some Oxbridge Degrees Worth More Than Others? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Some A level subjects are perceived as being less challenging and respected than others (I personally disagree and this issue has been discussed elsewhere), so I was wondering if likewise certain Oxbridge degrees carry more weight ie History is more respected than ASNC, or if the degree's worth lies solely in it being an Oxbridge degree. What do people think?
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Some A level subjects are perceived as being less challenging and respected than others (I personally disagree and this issue has been discussed elsewhere), so I was wondering if likewise certain Oxbridge degrees carry more weight ie History is more respected than ASNC, or if the degree's worth lies solely in it being an Oxbridge degree. What do people think?

That really depends on what you mean by 'worth', if it's monetary worth you're talking about, then then answer is a resounding yes. Students of certain degree courses, on average earn a good deal more than others, even at Oxbridge, this is probably reflected in the applicants per acceptance ratios.
Minta
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
That really depends on what you mean by 'worth', if it's monetary worth you're talking about, then then answer is a resounding yes. Students of certain degree courses, on average earn a good deal more than others, even at Oxbridge, this is probably reflected in the applicants per acceptance ratios.

Not really money issues, more how highly the 'quality' of any particualr Oxbridge degree is regarded
Philo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Not really money issues, more how highly the 'quality' of any particualr Oxbridge degree is regarded
Definitely. If you look at, for example, the ratio of acceptances for Chemistry at Oxford (70% of applicants) to the ratio of acceptances/applicants for the medics/vet medics, the latter two are clearly harder to get into and thus require something more from their applicants. Hence, to come out of Oxbridge with a medial degree people will see it as having a higher 'quality'.

Although, in saying all that, I believe that all the Oxbridge arts subjects will ultimately be seen in a much more equal light.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Philo)
Definitely. If you look at, for example, the ratio of acceptances for Chemistry at Oxford (70% of applicants) to the ratio of acceptances/applicants for the medics/vet medics, the latter two are clearly harder to get into and thus require something more from their applicants. Hence, to come out of Oxbridge with a medial degree people will see it as having a higher 'quality'.

Although, in saying all that, I believe that all the Oxbridge arts subjects will ultimately be seen in a much more equal light.
That's not necessarily true. Medics from Oxbridge can offer encounter hindrances when they embark on their training, and some employers actually look down on them becasue of their lack of practical experience. Its nothing to do with the number of applicants per place; employers do not examine university admissions statistics as they are interested in the people they produce at the other end. Classics, for example, has one of the highest acceptance rates and also a very high employability rate.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And for me to do any other degree than Earth Science for a career in Geology would be looked down apon by my employers - some careers need certain degrees.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sazzle)
And for me to do any other degree than Earth Science for a career in Geology would be looked down apon by my employers - some careers need certain degrees.
Precisely. This is a really weird thread. If you want to be a scientist, studying English at Oxford or Cambridge will be worthless. If you want to be a lawyer, studying law would allow initial entry to the profession, but having studied other subjects would certainly not hold you back.If you want a City-type job in the financial sector, any good Oxbridge degree is highly valued, but perhaps those in economics, maths etc are more valued in this particular area of employment.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps the original poster was looking for everyone to start ****ging the land economists? :rolleyes:
Philo
Report 16 years ago
I agree with what you all said, I simply meant in terms of an outsider's point of view, not an employer. I know that had I got into read a medical subject (for example), people who haven't much idea about the varying degrees would've been more impressed with me than when I say I'm reading theology. I've even had comments such as "so, why do you want to go round fields, digging things up then?"(!!!) Also, I ALWAYS get people talking to me who automatically think it wont open any doors for me other than those leading into the ministry. Hence I'm not saying that perceptions about the quality of degrees are right, I'm saying that from personal experience, I believe that they exist.

At the same time, I know a number of linguists with Oxbridge degrees(who, like the medics Hilda Beast meantioned) find it difficult to find their footing once they graduate because people don't think that a language degree from Ox/Cam gives you enough oral experience as it's focused on literature.

I suppose it all depends on who you talk to!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps the original poster was looking for everyone to start ****ging the land economists? :rolleyes:
That's funnny
Minta
Rep:
?
Nah - then I'd have to take people dissing ASNC!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
i know physics isnt quite as competitive compared to law, medicine, History, English, etc., but its still a very respected degree, even in oxbridge terms.

i mean, if i get an offer and do my masters degree in physics, it wud really be very useful.

yet a 46% applicants to places ration is pretty decent - and remember they make many more offers than places to......
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i
and remember they make many more offers than places to......
Errrr, not really.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Errrr, not really.
they do. they give out more offers than places.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
using statistics they know fairly precisely, how many will not make the offer.

they make more offers than places. there have ben threads about this.

Apparently, about 30% dont make their oxbridge offers (a bit too high i reckon, must b a bit lower i thought) and this is taken into account in the number of offers made.

there is also a small summer pool thingy, just in case by v.lucky chance there mayb the odd place to fill.....
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
they make more offers than places. there have ben threads about this.

Apparently, about 30% dont make their oxbridge offers (a bit too high i reckon, must b a bit lower i thought) and this is taken into account in the number of offers made.
Yeah they tend to, but although it'll vary a bit between colleges I'd say 30% would be far too high probably more likely to be around 10%. They rather assume that most people they pick will walk the exams.

Compared to the numbers other universities offer on and the fluctuations they get it's miniscule though.

Alaric.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Yeah they tend to, but although it'll vary a bit between colleges I'd say 30% would be far too high probably more likely to be around 10%. They rather assume that most people they pick will walk the exams.

Compared to the numbers other universities offer on and the fluctuations they get it's miniscule though.

Alaric.
yes i agree. i thought 10% would be about correct.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
what is ASNC by the way? dont know what it stands for......
Minta
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
what is ASNC by the way? dont know what it stands for......
It's Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic - basically the literature and history of Wales, Ireland, England, Scandinavia and a bit of Brittany and Russia thrown in for good measure, covering approx 500-1066 . Think Vikings and Beowulf and Celtic legends!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
curiously I've never met one, maybe they're one of the species that lives in the habitat of the university libary?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.79%
No (263)
33.21%

Watched Threads