This discussion is closed.
Rob24601
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Im a bit confused, could someone possibly tell me how these UMS marks work and also how it is possible to get full UMS points for a module without actually getting full marks on the exam?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is possible to get 100% UMS without full marks on the exam.

UMS, I assume, is just fitting the marks to a normal distribution curve, then shifting it around so that the right number of people are getting Cs, etc. It usually means your raw mark increases. It's used so that a 90 this year should mean the same as one last year, and a particularly hard paper doesn't mean an abnormal number of fails etc.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rob24601)
also how it is possible to get full UMS points for a module without actually getting full marks on the exam?
I got 10 raw marks more than my friend once and (annoyingly )we both got full ums points.

It's all about the statistics :confused:
Hedgie
Report 16 years ago
If you check the websites for the exam boards and look at their regulations, it will explain how UMS marks work.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads