applying to oxbridge during foundation year? Watch

This discussion is closed.
lovemachine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
please tell me if i sound like im on crack.
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Gosh I don't know. Where's the foundation year? What's the subject? What would you want to study at Oxbridge? Was there a reason you got Alevel grades which put you on a foundation year as opposed to AAB+?
lovemachine
Rep:
?
(Original post by homoterror)
Gosh I don't know. Where's the foundation year? What's the subject? What would you want to study at Oxbridge? Was there a reason you got Alevel grades which put you on a foundation year as opposed to AAB+?
durham for the social sciences (focus on law), i plan to study law at oxbridge/ reason im doin foundation is because i didnt do a - levels, im an intl student
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lovemachine)
durham for the social sciences (focus on law), i plan to study law at oxbridge/ reason im doin foundation is because i didnt do a - levels, im an intl student
Ooh right, that's all good then, no "I got DDE because I'm thick."

To be honest I have no idea if they'd be interested in you or not, I suspect so. What you need to do is email a law admissions tutor, perhaps choose a few Oxbridge colleges (not necessarily ones you want to goto) and get email addresses for their law fellows. Email them explaining your situation (very thoroughly), and ask them if they'd consider you. Then you can judge the replies, both by what they say and by tone.

Let me know what they do say, I'm curious.

Regards, Alex
lovemachine
Rep:
?
Ooh right, that's all good then, no "I got DDE because I'm thick."

To be honest I have no idea if they'd be interested in you or not, I suspect so. What you need to do is email a law admissions tutor, perhaps choose a few Oxbridge colleges (not necessarily ones you want to goto) and get email addresses for their law fellows. Email them explaining your situation (very thoroughly), and ask them if they'd consider you. Then you can judge the replies, both by what they say and by tone.

Let me know what they do say, I'm curious.

Regards, Alex
will do , and thanks for the advice
lovemachine
Rep:
?
o one last thing, im looking at cambridges website, and im not getting the different colleges, and their assesment of applications....im confused
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You need to go here:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/findin...s/college.html

goto a college's website. find a list of fellows and there will be an email address for a law fellow.
SinghFello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Law at Oxbridge is stupidly competative. So I suspect your application will go straight in the bin unless you have some good contacts.
lovemachine
Rep:
?
(Original post by SinghFello)
Law at Oxbridge is stupidly competative. So I suspect your application will go straight in the bin unless you have some good contacts.
yea probably, wt kind of contacts?
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
excuse me? are you studying Law at Oxbridge? Contacts eh? Do you not think people would notice if somebody with such an untraditional background got into Oxbridge when they just happened to be friends with a fellow?

Oxbridge is competitive but they will go to huge lengths to consider people from untraditional backgrounds, I just personally have no idea if they have a policy on foundation courses.
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ie, friends/family or some sort of affliation with important member of staff, or family member in a v.high position in the world of law, possibly status... pure speculation though.
lovemachine
Rep:
?
hm, so should i apply or would it just be a waste of time?
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont know anything about you, but you must have an outstanding record to even think about it!
lovemachine
Rep:
?
I dont know anything about you, but you must have an outstanding record to even think about it!
I have a decent record, i plan to work my butt off next year, but i did get a bunch of awards in high school which i plan to add into my ps to make me seem alot better than i rlly am.
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But as I said Cambridge are very eager to get applications from untraditional backgrounds. You shouldn't say things like "your application will go straight in the bin," "you must have an outstanding record to even think about it," because lovemachine may very well be able to get in for all you know and you could easily put him or her off.
lovemachine
Rep:
?
But as I said Cambridge are very eager to get applications from untraditional backgrounds.
howd u know?
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
howd u know?
i'm an access officer for a cambridge college's union.
lovemachine
Rep:
?
wow rlly? lol wts that? all i know is it sounds important.
homoterror
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wow rlly? lol wts that? all i know is it sounds important.
it's not really. it means i get money and suppport to run campaigns on behalf of the college and university to get people from untraditional backgrounds to apply.
lovemachine
Rep:
?
it's not really. it means i get money and suppport to run campaigns on behalf of the college and university to get people from untraditional backgrounds to apply.
ahh thats excellent, any other advice, possibly a hook up u can provide me with ?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise