Went past speed camera doing 32-33 in 30mph zone... Watch

This discussion is closed.
MS7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
...to put it mildly, am I f*****?

Was convinced it was a 40 (the fact that there were no speed limit signs for hundreds of yards didn't exactly help), and by the time I approached the camera it was too late. The only glimmer of hope that I have is that I didn't actually see the camera flash, but then again I wasn't exactly looking closely.

So what's the likelihood of me getting a ticket? I've heard about some cameras having a mark up of around 10%, but I'm not sure on that. So annoyed, only just started driving this week so I could do without the points!

Thanks in advance.
champion92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your screwed.. you only just got your license and you decide to speed down a road not knowing the speed limit.. rookie mistake. Speed limits are in place to save lives, so i hope you've learnt your lesson...
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wouldn't worry about it. You have to go through them at a speed significantly over the limit. Doing 32/33 probably wouldn't set it off.
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's 10% so at about 34 ish you'd set it off.
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:facepalm2:
Zinfandel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
Quoted for emphasis.
DuncanMono
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think they allow you 10%, so fingers crossed you should be fine... I know on my first car the speedo needle was wobblier than a fat man's belly being wobbled
Paranoid//Android
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ignore the idiot above. EDIT I'm referring to champion92, it took me a while to post.

Okay so I obviously can't be sure but, I'd say you'll be alright. You say your speedo was indicating 32-33, so you were more likely to be going 30, perhaps below, as the car manufacturer has to make the speedo over read, usually by a couple mph but it's not a certain figure. Plus, I've heard the flash is really bright and from what I've read it's hard to miss.

It will be two weeks before you know for sure, plus possibly a day or two for postage. If it's after this time you have the right to refuse the points and fine.

I'm going through the same thing, circa 68 in a 60 but the camera was on the other side, facing in the other direction, so i understand the anxious feeling of not knowing!

Good luck.
Steezy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OMG YOU WERE SPEEEEEEDING! DEVIL!

Nah joke. You'll only get anything through if the light flashes. Plus for something as minor as that you'll only get a warning letter. In a 30 I'd say you'll be very unlucky to have anyfine/points for up to 35mph
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You are totally safe. Most speedometers are over calibrated, so you probably in reality were actually only doing 30/31. And as said speed cameras aren't set to go off unless you are actually going 33, for which your speedometer would have to say at least 35 I would say.
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
stupidty of some drivers amazes me:facepalm2:
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Remarqable M)
stupidty of some drivers amazes me:facepalm2:
I know right? First week of driving and decides to speed off down a road where they don't know the speed limit. :facepalm2:
SFsucks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MS7)
...to put it mildly, am I f*****?

Was convinced it was a 40 (the fact that there were no speed limit signs for hundreds of yards didn't exactly help), and by the time I approached the camera it was too late. The only glimmer of hope that I have is that I didn't actually see the camera flash, but then again I wasn't exactly looking closely.

So what's the likelihood of me getting a ticket? I've heard about some cameras having a mark up of around 10%, but I'm not sure on that. So annoyed, only just started driving this week so I could do without the points!

Thanks in advance.
You should be ok if you were going around 32-33mph... you are allowed 10%.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should be fine, as edd360 says most speedos are overcalibrated, if it says 30 you're probably doing 26/27.
Christina90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're allowed to go 10% over the speed limit so 33 should be fine. To be honest, what's done is done, so even if something does come of it, there's nothing you can do. Just don't think about it and concentrate your efforts on not doing it again.
Paranoid//Android
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To whoever negged me for speeding - I actually made another thread on it, it was on a wide A road, overtaking a lorry. It's hardly the most extreme crime. But thanks for your meaningless negative rep.

I wish I was like you and never made mistakes.
TommyWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by edd360)
You are totally safe. Most speedometers are over calibrated, so you probably in reality were actually only doing 30/31. And as said speed cameras aren't set to go off unless you are actually going 33, for which your speedometer would have to say at least 35 I would say.
MOST speed cameras aren't set to go off until you reach 35 on a 30 road, but that isn't the rule.

Cameras can and often are set to go off at 31mph.

But yes, your speedo was most likely over reading, so essentially I don't imagine there's a chance of problems.

Edit: And lol @ whichever cretin negged the person for speeding. BlatantlyNeverDroveInTheirLife fail.

Edit 2: OP the fact that you didn't see any signs depicting the speed limits for a few hundred yards means that it cannot be a 40mph limit. A 40mph limit would require signs every so often. 30mph limit does not require this, there can be one at the entrance to the zone, and theoretically you could drive 100 miles without seeing another.

If there's no signs you're either in a 30mph zone, or it's national limit.
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Speedo's are always 2 - 3 mph over what you are actually doing. Speed cameras give 10% of the speed limit, 33 would be this case. The camera will not flash until you travel at 34 mph in a 30 mph zone. Your speedo would have to say 36 or so until you actually get flashed.

Don't panic.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im pretty sure you have to be going around 35-/+ for it to flash, they wont flash if your going a couple of mph over. Same with being stopped, usually you wont be stopped / only warned if your within 5 mph of the speed limit unless traffic are feeling like ******** that day, to be properly prosecuted you'd have to be going 10mph over, otherwise CPS/RPU see it as a waste of time apparently.
.:Doctor:.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry even if it did flash many speed cameras don't actually have films in... well not unless it is one of them new digital ones then you are f***ed
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.57%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.24%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.6%

Watched Threads