A Levels related help/advice needed. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Namit
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, I'm an international student and im going to appear for my a-level (CIE, Cambridge International Exams specification) exams in November (in only 10 months!) later this year. Right now im studying externally, so no school or any teachers for help. The subjects that i have taken are:

Maths
Computing
Economics
Business Studies.

I have taken these subjects at AS+A2 level.

I wanted to know if what im doing is possible without the help of teachers.Im aiming for AAAA. I only have coursework in computing, and i have no idea how hard that will be.

If anyone else studying this specification has any useful information on these subjects, links to past papers, model questions and answers, notes, how much revision i need...etc. please let me know, you could pm me or add me in msn.

Im currently studying in Pune, India, which is qute close to Bombay.

Thanks.

(just hope this thread doesnt get ignored and dies like loads of other ones)
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well maths is hard, if you are like an A* student anyway, you shouldn't find it that hard, but is is still challenging nonetheless, and you might need help from a teacher or tutor or someone. If by computing you mean ICT, i found it boring, but not too hard on the coursework side, but the exam is alright, just a bit odd. and the rest i don't know anything about.

hope that helps (doubt that it would).

which modules are you taking for maths?
like P1 P2 P3......
Namit
im taking P1 P2&3, M1 and S1 in maths.

how hard are the exams anyways, is ten months enough?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)
Hi, I'm an international student and im going to appear for my a-level (CIE, Cambridge International Exams specification) exams in November (in only 10 months!) later this year. Right now im studying externally, so no school or any teachers for help. The subjects that i have taken are:

Maths
Computing
Economics
Business Studies.

I have taken these subjects at AS+A2 level.

I wanted to know if what im doing is possible without the help of teachers.Im aiming for AAAA. I only have coursework in computing, and i have no idea how hard that will be.

If anyone else studying this specification has any useful information on these subjects, links to past papers, model questions and answers, notes, how much revision i need...etc. please let me know, you could pm me or add me in msn.

Thanks.

(just hope this thread doesnt get ignored and dies like loads of other ones)
Hi, I have done Business Studies, Maths and Computing at A-level. To be honest you may find it hard to study for such subjects, without any guidence from any teachers:

Maths - Pretty difficult, even more so when you haven't got teachers to explain to you about the theories. Even if you bought the best textbooks you still need guidence from somebody who knows what they are doing.

Computing - Easy subject, I revised for about 12 hours for my last two exams and recieved an 'A' as it is mainly built up of theory, which I found boring. However the coursework is more different, and very time consuming. You have two courseworks at A-level, you have to implement and develop a working program that solves a problem, the first piece of coursework is a project given, the second you get to choose. The difficult thing about working independently is comparing your coursework with existing and marked work, just so you know what standard you need to aim for, as you have to write down everything about your project in depth, like specification, analysis, development, evaluation, etc. Having the means to compare this to others is helpful. You may also need help from people to aid you in programming,I presume you dont know how to program, if there is something difficult you wont know what to do, and it could just be one tiny thing. Its like learning a language.

Business Studies - Decent subject, I got a 'B' in it, however I am re-sitting it. In this subject, I found that the class discussions proved more valuable than the stuff I learnt in lessons. Its basically 20 per cent knowledge and the rest is comprised of analysis, application and evaluation of something. You do need to know and understand the theory so that you can apply it to the case studies in the exams.

Well that's all I can provide you at the moment, I hope that its been helpful, any questions?
Namit
Thank you soo much Bhaal85 you have been very helpful.

Infact I do have a little background in computer programming, a little C++, and one of my main interests is computers, so i think ill be able to manage (well hopefully!).

I was wondering which books or revision guides i should use for these subjects, money thankfully isn't that much of a consideration, and i will be able to order them from the U.K.

Also, if i choose to go into the computing/software developement field in university, do i need another science or is computing enough?
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is a pretty stupid idea taking both business studies and economics...
Namit
(Original post by corey)
It is a pretty stupid idea taking both business studies and economics...
is it?, i could switch to physics but that would be much harder, and since im studying externally practicals would be a problem.

does anyone else have an opinion on that, i heard that having both business studies, economics and math, would be a good combination for seeking a university degree in the financial/business sector.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)

Infact I do have a little background in computer programming, a little C++, and one of my main interests is computers, so i think ill be able to manage (well hopefully!).

I was wondering which books or revision guides i should use for these subjects, money thankfully isn't that much of a consideration, and i will be able to order them from the U.K.

Also, if i choose to go into the computing/software developement field in university, do i need another science or is computing enough?
Are you taking both AS and A2 in one year?

Your choice of programming language is different, I dont know if you get to choose. Last year I had to use Borland Delphi.

Like I said, computing you could get away without lessons as you only need to know the theory and how to program, however for your coursework you may need help on it, as teachers are able to tell you whether its a typical 'D' grade piece of work or something worthy of an 'A' grade.

Business I found really interesting and was annoyed at the fact that I only recieved a grade 'B', 11 marks away!!!!! NO!! But you can get away with not doing lessons, as you could in thoery just learn all the concepts and ideas, then you only have to apply it. However, the main reason I enjoyed my lessons was because it spurned different views and opinions of issues around the world, this aided me in analysis and evaluation when it came to the exams. If you only learn the concepts you may not achieve the top marks, because its not just thoery you have to know how to apply it, and view things from perspective.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)

I got offered Computer Science at one of the best uni's, I didn't take it because I found computers boring. But Maths coupled with Computing would allow you access to any Computer-related course.

Economics and Business Studies are very similiar. The main difference is, that Economics requires a more mathematically inclined person, as there are a lot of calculations. the theory learned in both would be applicable to both subjects, as they both share the same ideas and concepts.
Namit
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Are you taking both AS and A2 in one year?

Your choice of programming language is different, I dont know if you get to choose. Last year I had to use Borland Delphi.

Like I said, computing you could get away without lessons as you only need to know the theory and how to program, however for your coursework you may need help on it, as teachers are able to tell you whether its a typical 'D' grade piece of work or something worthy of an 'A' grade.

Business I found really interesting and was annoyed at the fact that I only recieved a grade 'B', 11 marks away!!!!! NO!! But you can get away with not doing lessons, as you could in thoery just learn all the concepts and ideas, then you only have to apply it. However, the main reason I enjoyed my lessons was because it spurned different views and opinions of issues around the world, this aided me in analysis and evaluation when it came to the exams. If you only learn the concepts you may not achieve the top marks, because its not just thoery you have to know how to apply it, and view things from perspective.
Yes i am taking both AS and A2 in one year.

As for Business Studies i guess ill have to start taking a look at the financial news from now on thats the closest im going to get to a "classroom" like discussion.
Namit
I got offered Computer Science at one of the best uni's, I didn't take it because I found computers boring. But Maths coupled with Computing would allow you access to any Computer-related course.

Economics and Business Studies are very similiar. The main difference is, that Economics requires a more mathematically inclined person, as there are a lot of calculations. the theory learned in both would be applicable to both subjects, as they both share the same ideas and concepts.
Hmm, I have a strong interest when it comes to computers, but i also find finance very interesting as well. Might take course with both in university.

Could someone tell me which books i should be using for these subjects, it would be really helpful.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)

As for Business Studies i guess ill have to start taking a look at the financial news from now on thats the closest im going to get to a "classroom" like discussion.
Dont forget it also depends on what examining body you are using, I am with 'AQA' for my Business and 'OCR' with my Maths. If you wanna know what the exams are like download the files off the OCR site, they have both question and answer papers:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/bus_assess.html

They are named BUS1-BUS6, with BUS1 being the first paper and BUS6 being the last.

Its not a case of answering a simple question, you have to give depth, and show evaluation and analysis. Try doing a paper then assessing the answer.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)

4 subjects in the space of 10 months. I dont know, it will be EXTREMELY hard to do so, especially if you aren't getting any help from tutors. You do realise you will have a lot of exams:

Maths - 6 Exams
Business - 6 Exams
Computing - 4 Exams, 2 pieces of Coursework
Economics - 6 Exams

That is crazy!!!!!! Can you handle the workload?
Namit
Dont forget it also depends on what examining body you are using, I am with 'AQA' for my Business and 'OCR' with my Maths. If you wanna know what the exams are like download the files off the OCR site, they have both question and answer papers:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/bus_assess.html

They are named BUS1-BUS6, with BUS1 being the first paper and BUS6 being the last.

Its not a case of answering a simple question, you have to give depth, and show evaluation and analysis. Try doing a paper then assessing the answer.
The examining body i am using is the CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) the syllabus closely matches that of the OCR and AQA specifications, some of the recommended books are the ones meant for the OCR or AQA.

Thanks for the links.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)
The examining body i am using is the CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) the syllabus closely matches that of the OCR and AQA specifications, some of the recommended books are the ones meant for the OCR or AQA.

Thanks for the links.
Here is the website, I believe you can obtain some publications and the syllabus off them:

http://www.cie.org.uk/CIE/WebSite/home.jsp
Namit
4 subjects in the space of 10 months. I dont know, it will be EXTREMELY hard to do so, especially if you aren't getting any help from tutors. You do realise you will have a lot of exams:

Maths - 6 Exams
Business - 6 Exams
Computing - 4 Exams, 2 pieces of Coursework
Economics - 6 Exams

That is crazy!!!!!! Can you handle the workload?
I had a feeling, Im sure i could handle the workload, how about giving my exams in March 2005, would that give me enough time to maintain my sanity while securing four A's?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)
I had a feeling, Im sure i could handle the workload, how about giving my exams in March 2005, would that give me enough time to maintain my sanity while securing four A's?
I dont think you could maintain the sort of quality required to do a four two year courses in the space of 10 months, its not feasible. AS and A2 are a big step up. You can try and do it, but it will mean constant learning all the time.
Namit
I dont think you could maintain the sort of quality required to do a four two year courses in the space of 10 months, its not feasible. AS and A2 are a big step up. You can try and do it, but it will mean constant learning all the time.
I think im going to speak to my parents about this. I think going to school and doing a full two year course would be better than what im trying right now.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)
I think im going to speak to my parents about this. I think going to school and doing a full two year course would be better than what im trying right now.
Yes it would. Being in college and mixing with other academics is the only sure way to learn. Take it in smaller 'bite sized' chunks, that way you can attain top grades, as opposed to average grades.

'You must learn to walk, before you can run'

I'm off now, been spending way too much time here. I hope you found my advice insightful and helpful.
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Namit)
well, u can surely do them in 2 years, but u can do them in an year........if u r very determined.
Otherwise, do not even think of it in an year !!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads