Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Once again thank you Bhaal your advice was extremely helpful, if anyone else has any other useful information, please post, im an external student so even the tiniest bit of information helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namit)
    Once again thank you Bhaal your advice was extremely helpful, if anyone else has any other useful information, please post, im an external student so even the tiniest bit of information helps.
    what country arte you in? and business studies and economics is a bit of overload. both cover the same area although in different ways, micro economics and macro economics. BS also has a bit of a slacker reputation than economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    what country arte you in? and business studies and economics is a bit of overload. both cover the same area although in different ways, micro economics and macro economics. BS also has a bit of a slacker reputation than economics
    Im in India, are you an external student as well?

EDIT: okay i just saw that your in London, so i guess your not an external student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namit)
    Im in India, are you an external student as well?

EDIT: okay i just saw that your in London, so i guess your not an external student.
    which part of india are u in ???

ReputationRep:
    im in Pune, its very close to Bombay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namit)
    is it?, i could switch to physics but that would be much harder, and since im studying externally practicals would be a problem.

does anyone else have an opinion on that, i heard that having both business studies, economics and math, would be a good combination for seeking a university degree in the financial/business sector.

No it's not really that bad an idea doing both. I did both, Economics over two years and the whole a'level for business in one year. They did help each other, but there was a lot of things that weren't in both courses. Economics is a lot harder than business studies, but doing the business must've helped me get an A in economics (I certainly didn't do any revision for either!)

ReputationRep:
    you sound like a very determined person and good luck if you are going to attempt to do all 4 a-levels in one year but let me just bring you attention to what exambaords recommend.

Each A level should be made up of 6 units now, to get an AS you complete three of them. It is recommend that you spend 60 hours per unit - which isnt realy a long time just 2.5 days without sleep! however when you add all the timings up it wourks out as follows:

per unit: 60 hours
    per A2 Course: 360 hours
    for all 4 A2 course: 1440 hours
    if you worked solidly for 5 hours per day thats going to take you 288 days to prepare yourself properly.

The choices you have made are also interesting.

Maths is potentially very difficult, P1, M1, S1 are all straight forward if you are resonable good at mathematics. P2 is harder and p3 is a complete ******* - i failed the exam twice and could get my head around proving equations matched and calculus using SIN, COS and TAN. If you can computer program already computing shouldnt be a problem, you just need to make sure that you projects are fully doucmented. Busines Studies and Ecconomics is not a good choice. Both courses are of a similar nature with economics containing a bit more maths. Colleges often will not let you take both together. Try and look at doing an AVCE Business Studies Double Award (if it exists) the ICT one lets you do 12 units, its wo5rth 2 A-Levels marked A-E and their are 30 units to choose from so you can do the finacial stuff and economics and business studies all together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJ)
    you sound like a very determined person and good luck if you are going to attempt to do all 4 a-levels in one year but let me just bring you attention to what exambaords recommend.

Each A level should be made up of 6 units now, to get an AS you complete three of them. It is recommend that you spend 60 hours per unit - which isnt realy a long time just 2.5 days without sleep! however when you add all the timings up it wourks out as follows:

per unit: 60 hours
    per A2 Course: 360 hours
    for all 4 A2 course: 1440 hours
    if you worked solidly for 5 hours per day thats going to take you 288 days to prepare yourself properly.

The choices you have made are also interesting.

Maths is potentially very difficult, P1, M1, S1 are all straight forward if you are resonable good at mathematics. P2 is harder and p3 is a complete ******* - i failed the exam twice and could get my head around proving equations matched and calculus using SIN, COS and TAN. If you can computer program already computing shouldnt be a problem, you just need to make sure that you projects are fully doucmented. Busines Studies and Ecconomics is not a good choice. Both courses are of a similar nature with economics containing a bit more maths. Colleges often will not let you take both together. Try and look at doing an AVCE Business Studies Double Award (if it exists) the ICT one lets you do 12 units, its wo5rth 2 A-Levels marked A-E and their are 30 units to choose from so you can do the finacial stuff and economics and business studies all together.
    Thanks for your reply. Ill check out the AVCE Business Studies Double Award and see if I can do that instead.

I have a friend who is also going to appear for the Novermber 2004 exam session. He has taken Maths, Physics, Computing and Business Studies at A Level (AS+A2). How hard is physics? and will the practicals be a problem, as he is also studying the A Levels externally.

He is a mature student (22) unlike me, im 16 right now. He plans to study in the U.K. after completing his A Levels. Being a mature student are there any differences in the way universities will treat his application?

ReputationRep:
    in terms of uni apps 22 is not really considered being mature,

Physics is mainly examination based or the course i did was i think that there was only one or two pieces of coursework to complete but it was a while ago now - perhaps some one else will be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    LOL...good luck....

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.