The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im not doing your essay for you tyvm
To stimulate our minds? Other animals aren't intelligent so they don't need such simulation.
surely 'entertainment' is just what you would be doing all the time if you didn't have to work. it's what you actually want to be doing isn't it? listening to music, games etc, 'hobbies' is similar.
We can identify what entertainment means to us; how do you know animals don't find entertainment in preying on other animals.
To make life interesting and remind us that there are good things. Things to look forward to and enjoy.
Reply 6
We got spare time after eating/sleeping/sheltering/etc to kill.
Lol at how Teaddict's manifsto is the only related thread to a thread about entertainment. :rofl:
Reply 8
pretty sure other animals seek entertainment too....

cats toying with mice for example, or simply watch any kind of monkey
Reply 9
and, the reason we seek more entertainment than others is because we are more intelligent, it is somewhat of a defence mechanism to prevent suicide i would say
Reply 10
As superior intelligent beings, we crave mental stimulation.

I think you should divulge in more mental stimulation, as your questions suggests you are somewhat lacking.
Reply 11
Animals play with each other.

/thread
Who told u animals don't do this????
Have u ever watched tigers, lions or cats? More playful and curious than humans.
Our relatives too ... apes
dogs do, they enjoy playing with dog toys aha, my dogs always coming over to me begging me to play tug o' war, he wags his tail so he must enjoy it :')
and they like to walk. weird animals :')
22 Catch
As superior intelligent beings, we crave mental stimulation.

I think you should divulge in more mental stimulation, as your questions suggests you are somewhat lacking.

What's wrong with asking a question for others to answer?
other animals are nothing like us.

We seek entertainment since we naturally seek happiness. everybody values contentment in some form.
For inspiration.

People that argue things like 'z0mg only humans do things for fun' always seem to turn out as silly Christians making their silly arguments for why we are superior, have souls, blabla.

It's cute. Yeah, we developed sophisticated language which ultimately led to us becoming all 'superior' and **** but we're really not all that different from animals, plenty of which do things purely for fun and their own entertainment.
Reply 18
TRStemporaryusername
What's wrong with asking a question for others to answer?

Nothing.
Reply 19
TRStemporaryusername
Hi,

Why is it that humans seek recreation and entertainment? Other animals don't seem to do this.

Could it be to escape from the pressures of life? Or is there another explanaition - maybe one in which the motivation is not so negative?

Thanks

I can tell you that Killer whales do play for fun. They seek entertainment in other ways, that correspond to their own levels of intelligent. Dogs and cats playfight at a younger age, but when they get older they are more instictual and are prepared to fight, find food, escape etc. it's all about natural selection yo' :smile: